Religion Master Thread

The Apostolic Palace isn't a shrine. The Catholic shrine is the Church of the Holy Sepulcher, if I remember correctly.

in regards to the Apostolic palace (which the Sistine Chapel is a part of) i would say St. Peter's Basilica is the shrine infact the shrine to saint peter is inside of it all of which are part of the Vatican.

Archbasilica of St. John Lateran is the Cathedral for the Bishop of Rome as such it is the most important in terms of rank in the catholic church and the popes used to reside at the Lateren Palace near by (a former Roman palace and a gift to the Bishop of Rome from constantine), but due to the vast appeal of the 4th century "old St Peter's Basilica" (not a cathedral just a massive church) built by saint Constantine on the grave of saint peter it has immense pilgrimage properties so much so that by the 5th century the popes moved from there spiritual seat of power and authority to a Papal Palace next to St. Peter's, even now Archbasilica of St. John Lateran is the official seat of power and still the highest ranked Basilica in Rome yet i bet most catholics don't even know it, that is a massive hint at how important this site is to the church and its followers.

also the holy Sepulchral is not a catholic shrine it is a pan-Christian shrine but yes it is the most important of the Christian pilgrimage sites but for game i think St.Peters and Hagia Sofia are better although i also agree which was earlier mentioned im not to comfortable with protestant holy city a key tenant of protestantism is the bible as oppose to church, maybe instead of the wonder being a cathedral it is actually a book.

to the canadian who doesn't like naturally angry Muslims, calm down don't lose your temper about.

Thinking about this a bit more, I'm currently considering to make monasteries require their state religion and diversify religions by diversifying their effect.

Thinking about this a bit more, I'm currently considering to make monasteries require their state religion and diversify religions by diversifying their effect.

I would say, redoing the events is more important than religion right now. Religion as it stands is pretty dandy and vanilla.

Is there examples of major monastaries being built outside the state religion?

Yeah, I'm just musing here.

And I'll get to events soon, maybe I should start a thread for suggestions for civic-related events.

I was going to make one and list all the events so we could wade through what to keep and edit.
But after 10 minutes I realized I wasn't even 10 percent done.

Yeah, now you see why I keep putting this off. I assume it's smarter to get them from a wiki somewhere, I haven't changed anything except replacing the removed civics as requirements.

So, bump this thread. I wonder what had happened with the idea to make Taoism as a minor religion along with Jews, etc?

So, bump this thread. I wonder what had happened with the idea to make Taoism as a minor religion along with Jews, etc?

I think the project stopped when intence spawn about islam.

The results of this thread are still in a my to do list, but many of the discussed changes are rather unspecific. I'd like to hear some suggestions for the effect of shrines where gold production is unrealistic, for instance.

Of the shrines that exist in the game, the gold bonus only seems to be applicable for Catholicism, Islam, and Buddhism, since these three faiths have the strongest traditions of pilgrimage. Therefore I propose:

Protestantism: Perhaps a science or hammer bonus of some sort. I also think that Protestant cathedrals should produce +1 gold per turn, to illustrate independence from Rome. I'm not sure if this would be balanced, though, considering the 500 gold bonus for conversion to Protestantism.

Orthodoxy: Definitely an espionage bonus, as the Byzantines and Russians were both renowned for their intelligence capabilities.

Zoroastrianism: I think this shrine should have a culture bonus, to help with the Iranian third UHV, and to illustrate the cultural legacy of pre-Islamic Persia.

Confucianism: I think a stability bonus would be appropriate here. I would suggest a beaker bonus but the Chinese UP already provides significant bonuses to research.

Taoism: I think the Taoist shrine should produce Great Person points for both Prophets and Artists, possibly Scientists as well. Meaning that a total of 8 GP points are produced per turn, 4 for Prophets and 4 for Artists. Or possibly 3 GP points each if that would be more balanced.

Hinduism: I actually don't have any ideas for this :dunno:

Hinduism would work with money and pilgrimage too, wouldn't it? Thinking of Varanasi and bathing in the Brahmaputra and whatnot?

Stability doesn't really work because where should it factor in with the new system? And I don't want China to be too stable.

If it's GPP, it has to scale with religion spread too. Hammers for Protestantism, espionage for Orthodoxy and culture for Zoroastrianism works imo, but there the one-for-one rule should be tweaked a bit.

It's also possible that shrines enable extra religious building yields like the AP for the owner only, this could make stuff like hammers and GPP possible without creating super cities.

I agree, the Hindu shrine certainly merits a gold per turn bonus.

I actually haven't played the mod in a long time, so I'm not very familiar with the new system. I do agree that the idea of shrines making buildings better is an idea that has promise, so have the Confucian shrine enable the owner's libraries and religious buildings to produce extra GP points, culture, or hammers, whatever would be the most appropriate historically and gameplay wise.

I propose that the Taoist shrine keep the original 4 Great Prophet points per turn, but agree that the number of Great Artist points produced per turn should scale with the spread of Taoism.

About Orthodoxy: as they are independent churches, what abou this you get gold from you city from (for example) a cathedral in your capital.

So, let it be:

Religion: Point
Hinduism: :food:
Budhism: :)
Confucianism: :gp:
Taoism: :health: (or kicked out as a major religion)
Zoroastrianism: :culture:
Catholicism: :hammers:
Orthodoxy: :espionage:
Islam: XPs
Protestantism: :science:

Temple: +1 point per temple
Monastery: +1 point per temple
Cahtedral: +50% points per cathedral
Shrine: +0,25 points per city (not caped)

Saint Basil's cathedral: change the effect. Let's say -1 maintainace cost for example? (or +1 espionage points only by state religion temples?)

The points need to adjusted. 25 food is much, much better than 25 culture.

I think he meant the effect attached to religion buildings, ie the Catholicism hammers. A temple would give +1 food, for example. He explains this at the bottom of the post.

You did read the entire post, right?

Yes, I understand. However, a +1 food for a temple is way better than +1 culture, +50% hammer is much better than +50% health, etc.

If these ideas are done, we'd need to carefully balance them, that's all. (e.g. +1 food ~ +5 culture, etc)

Top Bottom