Republican: Victims Of ‘Legitimate Rape’ Don’t Get Pregnant

I think the man doesn't understand the concept of 'sexual assault'
Not to mention not having a clue how human reproduction actually works. It is literally disgusting how such hopelessly ignorant people can be in a position of authority to create the laws which govern us.

Please link whatever thread you have in mind so we can end the whole "Misogyny" thing once and for all.

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=455154&highlight=Misogynist

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=452244&highlight=Misogyny

All sorts of gold.

Fair point.

Would you agree with my points though, that the real question has nothing to do with women's rights and everything to do with at what poin the fetus has rights?

Completely. Most people do too, they will accept that the rape and incest exemptions are illogical but support it on emotion anyway.

I do believe i clarified my position, but as usual you didn't really listen, whilst you wrapped up in your personal attacks on me, pat.

Useless believes abortion should be legal until the ambilical cord is cut. It really isn't constructive to discuss the topic with him.

Utterly pathetic, this was never my position.

It is sad that you must stoop so low to attack me, but i shall forgive you Pat.

My stance on abortion aside ( I am opposed to it even in the case of rape), this moron is why I am voting for Claire McCaskill (D) this November for Senator. He's a Michele Bachmann stoogie who beat my guy (Brunner) in the recent primary election in Missouri. I personally feel is defeat is of the utmost importance and urge all Missourians to vote for McCaskill to keep this embarrassment in flesh out of the US Senate.

I'm really glad you said this. I find it reassuring when people publicly call out the crazy - ALL crazy.

The next step is to let all the candidates in that race know your feelings as well as your reasoning. Keeping silent doesn't send a message, emails or phone calls do.

What it really is is that you assume we all agree with you that personhood begins sometime after conception. We don't.

So when you stopped replying in the other thread, was that an indication that you're going to continue to believe in your 'personhood' starts at conception despite admitting to having no knowledge of biology to base this opinion on? Did you read the arguments for feotus' having to have developed brains to be considered individuals with some rights? You aren't subscribing to that view now it seems, so you presumably found some flaw in the reasoning: what was it?

I'm not saying he's never said differently, but here's a direct quote from fairly early in that first thread, from Useless:

We've spoken about this before Pat, perhaps you should look back at our conversations, in which we established that I drew a moral line at a week-immediate birth.

So I guess its not quite when the baby's born, but its pretty dang close :crazyeye:

And disgusting, naturally.

So when you stopped replying in the other thread, was that an indication that you're going to continue to believe in your 'personhood' starts at conception despite admitting to having no knowledge of biology to base this opinion on? Did you read the arguments for feotus' having to have developed brains to be considered individuals with some rights? You aren't subscribing to that view now it seems, so you presumably found some flaw in the reasoning: what was it?

Considering a brain is present at around four-weeks, I don't honestly see much pro-choice people can do with that other than maybe defend the morning after pill:)

I disagree with the logic anyway though, because I don't really think humanity is based upon having a brain. The fetus will develop one, so that's good enough for me.

It is certainly no more "disgusting" than calling the use of the morning after pill "murder".

You call me disgusting?

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpost.php?p=11306074&postcount=91

I'd prefer dangerous ones:

1. The government isn't endorsing them.

2. Since abortion is murder anyway, dying during one is natural capital punishment.

(Note: I'm not wishing for people considering abortion to die, I'm wishing they would not consider it. As abortion is murder, actually doing it warrants a death sentence anyway.)

You admit you'd rather have women face death (by denying them safe abortions, as well as wanting them to be dangerous aka possibly dying from them), as well as admitting you believe they deserve a death sentence.

People like Akin represent my brightest hopes for the future. Go, mighty GOP machine, and finish tearing yourself apart!

Considering a brain is present at around four-weeks, I don't honestly see much pro-choice people can do with that other than maybe defend the morning after pill:)

Developed brain. As such twenty weeks is a good cut-off:

- This is when the brain rally starts to kick into action
- This is just before some feotus' are viable
- This is when quickening occurs
- This is plenty of time for doctors to perform abortions for medical reasons such as ectopic pregnancy

I disagree with the logic anyway though, because I don't really think humanity is based upon having a brain.

What is it based upon then?

The fetus will develop one, so that's good enough for me.

It's not a foetus until around eight weeks. An embryo is also not guaranteed to develop a brain. On the other hand it might also develop two brains.

Let's also not be coy here: when you say it's good enough for me what you really mean is that the five minutes you've spent considering the origins of 'personhood' despite having no real knowledge of biology and foetal development has lead you to a conclusion which you're more than happy to condemn people to death with. That's why I'm badgering you about this, it's extreme and dangerous arrogance you're displaying here.

It is certainly no more "disgusting" than calling the use of the morning after pill "murder".

Really? So you think killing the living is worse than preventing the killing of the allegedly non-living?

Developed brain. As such twenty weeks is a good cut-off:

- This is when the brain rally starts to kick into action
- This is just before some feotus' are viable
- This is when quickening occurs
- This is plenty of time for doctors to perform abortions for medical reasons such as ectopic pregnancy

What is it based upon then?

It's not a foetus until around eight weeks. An embryo is also not guaranteed to develop a brain. On the other hand it might also develop two brains.

Let's also not be coy here: when you say it's good enough for me what you really mean is that the five minutes you've spent considering the origins of 'personhood' despite having no real knowledge of biology and foetal development has lead you to a conclusion which you're more than happy to condemn people to death with. That's why I'm badgering you about this, it's extreme and dangerous arrogance you're displaying here.

Just so we're clear, I don't consider an ecoptic pregnancy to be the same thing at all.

As for "Arrogance" I don't think the position that all human life deserves equal protection is arrogant at all.

Considering a brain is present at around four-weeks

I am happy to discuss this at much greater length, but the brain is not present at four weeks. The tissue that's there is very much not sufficiently akin to a human brain to call it a 'brain'. The neuronal networks aren't just 'not developed', they're 'not present'. The neurons are not acting like neurons.

A brain certainly does develop in the womb, but it's not there yet at 4 weeks.

edit: I'll also disagree with Truronian. Even at 20 weeks, there's no sentience or even proto-sentience.

Only in the OT can a politician say something utterly stupid and it then becomes an ad hom for his entire party......

Its almost as bad as seeing a picture or a billboard and having it become an ad hom for an entire religious or ir-religious group...

As for "Arrogance" I don't think the position that all human life deserves equal protection is arrogant at all.

And that's not what I'm calling arrogant. What's arrogant is that you are perfectly willing to condemn people to death over a belief that you've neither researched nor thoroughly considered.

edit: I'll also disagree with Truronian. Even at 20 weeks, there's no sentience or even proto-sentience.

I didn't intend to imply there was (so perhaps my first point showed a poor choice of words)... I mainly go with twenty weeks because at twenty-one/twenty-two weeks you start to get a small minority of foetuses that may be viable.

Top Bottom