Rhye's and Fall of Africa

Why can't the colonial powers use a respawn mechanism, even if they are unplayable? So the Europeans come in waves but its possible to exile them from the game.

So the mod would spawn colonial units on some historical coastal area, and if those units aren't defeated before some turn, then the city/cities in the area will flip.

A part of this code already exists in one of the BtS mods, this latin america aztec mod which was patched in.
In that mod, Spain is not playable, but it appears somewhen at the coast. If you kick them out, they'll respawn later with some ships again.

An africa map can be found either here or here.

Where to start... I like the whole RFC Africa idea, I can't mod any but I would be happy to give info.
Here are a bunch of civs with dates:
1. Egypt 3000 bc to 40 ad
Need to have barbarian or independent invasions for the Hyksos and mid east civs
2.Nubia/kush 3000 bc to 300 ad
Need indepent or barbaric invasion for early Sudanese states
3. Nok civilization 500 bc to 200 ad
Need barbaric invasion around 200 ad (they mysteriously were wiped out around 200 ad)
4. Aksum 100 bc to 600 ad
5. Somalian city states (independents?) 1st century ad
6. Swahili city states (independents?) 3rd century ad
7. Great Zimbabwe as an independent city
8. Makuria 300's to 1312
9. Have imdependent cities in Northern Africa to represent Phoenician and Roman cities
10. Kanem empire 700 to 1380 (Kanem bornu 1396 to 1893)
11. Ghana 835 to 1235
12. Arabs 600 to ????
13. Mali 1230 to 1600's
14. Mapungwe kingdoms 1075 to 1220
15. Morrocans/Almoravids about 1115
16. Xhosa 1600 to 1860
17. Zulu 1816 to 1897
18. Herero (nomadic) 1600's to 1915
19. Songhai 1340 to 1591
20. Luba 1585 to 1885
21. Adal sultanate (independent?) 1415 to 1555
22. Kaabu empire 1537 to 1867
23. Sennar sultanate 1502 to 1821
24. Aro Confederacy 1690 to 1902
25. Asante union 1670 to 1902
26. Maravi Kingdom 1500's to late 1800's
27. Lunda empire 1665 to 1887
28. Kongo empire 1400 to 1888
29. Butua kingdom 1460 to 1683
30. Kingdom of mutapa 1430 to 1629
31. Rozwi empire 1666 to 1866
32. Kingdom of Ife (independent) 700
33. Kingdom of Nri 1043 to 1911
34. Oyo empire 1400 to 1895
35. Bunyoro 1500 to 1800
36. Ajuuraan state 1300 to 1600 (independent?)
37. Sokoto caliphate/Fulani empire 1804 to 1903
38. Boers (movement)
39. Buganda (independent)
40. Benin empire 1440 to 1897
41. Hausa states 1200's to 1808
42. Kingdom of dahomey 1600's to 1894
43. Khoisan peoples (independent)
44. Maybe add ottomans for later Arabs
45. Ethiopia (after Aksumite?) 200 ad to now

For Europeans, a few soldiers and maybe one settler will spawn in their respective colonial areas and if they are left alone they become more powerful and aggressive.
If any of this works I can start looking for leaders, UU's, and maybe new resources

If time era changes then maybe I could find different civs to replace industrial ones.

I'm glad someone Thought of this to add more variety to RFC

Perhaps, for Egypt, in 330 BC (or around that time), Egypt would be vassalized by Greece (Ptolemaic Dynasties). Then there could also be Rome, who quickly capture Carthage, Greece, then Egypt? Then have Rome go into civil war, creating the Byzantine Empire and the Spanish Empire? Also having Arabians invading North Africa, vassalizing Spain, and spreading Islam?

A part of this code already exists in one of the BtS mods, this latin america aztec mod which was patched in.
In that mod, Spain is not playable, but it appears somewhen at the coast. If you kick them out, they'll respawn later with some ships again.

An africa map can be found either here or here.

plus, celts, independents and natives already spawn cities and units even if all of their cities and units have been destroyed

Way too big a scope...

If you look at the history which could be interesting gameplaywise you can first discard the first millennias: Ancient Egypt and Ethiopia so might be interesting to play but that you can already do in normal RFC. After that I can see two to three different scopes and times that may be interesting:

1a) West Africa and the whole Salt Trade.
1b) the Congo Bassin and Ethiopia both as well in the same timescope (1000 AD - 1800 AD)

2) European Colonisation.

Now in the first scenario you have a cluster of Civs in Western Africa with different make-up and goals, from Trade Empires to Warring States: Mali, Songhai, Kanem-Bornu, Hausa. In Addition there are the northern Competitors Morocco and Egypt. If you distort the map a bit you can also have the Congo-Lunda/Luba cluster and Ethiopia in the East, here the more passive (mostly trading "raids") competitors would be generic Portugues/Spanish/Arabs respectively.

Now the second one would focus more on existing states being invaded by better suited Europeans. From Songhai-Morocco wars and you can include Boers and Zulu!

Now if you want to have all of it you need to simplify, Mali, Songhai, Kanem-Bornu, (Hausa?), Morocco, Egypt/Arabs, Ethiopia, Congo, Lunda, Zulu and "Boers" as "native Civs" and Portuguese, French, British and Turks as outside coming "stable" attacking civs. That already places the civ count at 15 civs plus Indep1/2/Natives = 18 civs which is plenty!

But of course, this is way too much work and only for someone really dedicated ;-)

Also, there could be a slave trade, where West African civilizations lose some of their population.

Has an idea for this already come up because I would like to see this happen. I can't mod let alone even create anything good in World builder. I do have some good ideas for this however, I can easily create a civilization list and think of new UP's and UHV's for the civilizations. I can tell more, but I would rather wait until this is declared a good idea or not. It's just something I would like to see, I know about all the hard work going into RFCE, RFCA, RFC SoI, DoC, and sorry if I forgot another good mod.

I like the idea of this mod, and I find it strange that some would make fun of it as "non-playable"...

Makes me wonder if a few of these people still think Africa is populated by savages or something haha....

Just got directed to this thread after starting my own discussion on the same topic. Here's what I had. My version started at the fall of Rome - so Egypt wouldn't be in.

Time period:
476 (fall of Rome) - about 1900 (open to discussion)

List of possible civs:
Arabs
Ottomans
Morocco
Berbers/Cordoba?
Songhai
Mali
Benin
Ghana
Zulu/other South African tribes?
Congolese
Ethiopia
Great Zimbabwe

rome,byzantines,ottomans,arabs and ptolemaic egypt should be civs. also how about ancient egyp is taken over by ptolemaic egypt ? ptolemaic egypt could start with many soldiers and alexander the great as a great general, and take over ancient egypt.

I still like my slave trade idea.

I agree with Olaf in terms of timeline, including anything previous would be rather tedious, and hugely difficult considering the map. End in 1930, perhaps?

Look at a map of Africa and you will realize that should someone do this, it would require either: a) the inclusion of the Middle East to the east of the Persian Gulf and south of modern Turkey, b) a weird island Africa OR c) a warped map.

However, if we went with a) (which would also require the southern tip of Iberia, Sicily and Greece) a lot of cool things could come of it.

To start, unplayable but necessary nations would be:
Byzantium (to be conquered)
Spain (for the Almohads/reconquista... or should we leave that out? Iunno. Also, colonization)
Portugal (early colonization)
England (major colonization)
France (major colonization)
and MAYBE Sicily (fighting with Moors)

For playable nations...

Moorish Africa/Iberia:
Al-Andalus
Almohad Dynasty/Tunisia later
Almoravid Dynasty/Morocco later
One more, not sure what...

Sub-Saharan West Africa:
Ghana
Mali
Songhai
Kanem-Bornu
Something along the southern coast, possibly Benin?

Middle East:
Fatimids
Arabs
Ottomans (but where to capital?)
Yemen

East Africa:
Ethiopia
Adal/Somalia
Swahili

Central/South Africa:
Mutapa
Zimbabwe
Kongo
Zulu
Obviously more here, but what?

That leaves 18+ playable nations. Scale would need to be fairly small, considering how spread out this all is. There's also a big ole hole in between Ethiopia, Kanem-Bornu Swahili, Kongo and Mutapa. I'm not sure what to fill it with, my impression being there were mostly just tribes in the area. If we could fill this hole, Africa would actually be pretty well-connected.

As for religion, I think Islam (Northern Africa), Catholicism (Europe) and Orthodoxy (Byzantium, Ethiopia) would be the regular religions. Animism (southern Africa, west Africa and the Horn of Africa) would be a regular religion with no diplo bonuses for other Animist nations. It (and Orthodoxy) would also start to disappear as time wore on, if Catholicism and/or Islam were in the same city. Hinduism would be a late game religion that randomly hits cities in the Horn and causes unrest.

That's all for now, time to sleep. 3 hours of sleep for work tomorrow... I have only RFC and myself to thank for this. And this thread, I suppose. I felt a need to contribute.

my idea:

timeline: 3.000 bc - 2012 ad.

factions:

ancient egypt
persian egypt ( starts with no city ,outside egypt with a bunch of soldiers and curos as a great general)
ptolemaic egyp (starts with no city ,outside egypt with a bunch of soldiers and alexander the great as a great general)
carthage.
rome.
( it would be good to see a war with rome against carthage.)
Byzantium
arabs
muslim Sicily
Fatimids
Ottomans
Yemen
Ethiopia
Mutapa
Zimbabwe
Kongo
Zulu
Adal/Somalia
Swahili
Al-Andalus
Almohad Dynasty/Tunisia
Ghana
Mali
Songhai
Kanem-Bornu
Almoravid Dynasty/Morocco
syracouse
athens
sparta
thebes
crete
Spain
Portugal
England
France

map:

the map should have all africa, south iberian penisula, sicily and south greece,from crete and sparta, to athens and thebes.

religions:

hellenism
egyptian
native
Islam
Catholicism
Orthodoxy

Was Hellenism really that major in Africa, though?

He is Greek, Of course it would have to be in there ;)

He is Greek, Of course it would have to be in there ;)

seconded to that...

but I also found a bit of Hellenism in Africa,
for a really short time during conquest of Alexander the Great, the Siwah Oracle etc..
And during the ptolemaic dynasty, though I'm not really sure if they praise God like Zeus Poseidon etc :p

i said abot helenism because the map exept africa will have:

south iberian penisula, sicily and south greece,from crete and sparta, to athens and thebes.

Let's not forget that the Roman mythology was basically a rip-off of Hellenism.

Top Bottom