Also implies that the post he's quoting is caring or helpful but that all the others specifically are not.

It's the over-use of "......." that's confusing people. I don't know how much experience you have writing online, but seeing you didn't know what iirc meant, perhaps you're also not aware what the "..." is used for?

Writing "thanks for caring..." instead of "thanks for caring." implies there's no finality to the thought/comment, and that one should read more into it. The fact you're also italicizing the word contributes to this perception.

It might not be easy to see at first, but when you write "That's helpful......" this is likely how most people are reading it:

- That's "helpful" (sarcastic)
- That's helpful :rolleyes: (sarcastic)

Hope that clarifies why some people are confused.
Perhaps I should find a school for 74-year-old retired writers that could teach me how to communicate in on-line forums…

That's how it came across. You're a writer? That particular syntax would convey the same attitude if written in an article, novel, script, etc. An online forum differs very little.
So… Your understanding is that ellipses always indicate sarcasm?

Reactions: cvb
OK ... I think there has been some misunderstandings here.
@Alexander M Zoltai welcome to the forum, The rules at the top say to report a post if you think its rude. Just remember that people can take your punctuation in another way than intended so often it is wise to be a little bit plainer. I also feel people were being helpful at the beginning but as they had not seen the issue were just trying to work out what the cause may be. I know at that stage they had not directly been helpful to you but the intent was there.
Everyone else, I can see some kind intentions and a few backs up but I just do not think the thread is going anywhere postive.

OK ... I think there has been some misunderstandings here.
@Alexander M Zoltai welcome to the forum, The rules at the top say to report a post if you think its rude. Just remember that people can take your punctuation in another way than intended so often it is wise to be a little bit plainer. I also feel people were being helpful at the beginning but as they had not seen the issue were just trying to work out what the cause may be. I know at that stage they had not directly been helpful to you but the intent was there.
Everyone else, I can see some kind intentions and a few backs up but I just do not think the thread is going anywhere postive.
I will more than likely not use this forum again… It's not like I'm some Newbie to forums… Ya'll have a good day………

So… Your understanding is that ellipses always indicate sarcasm?
One has to remember that there is no "tone of voice" with online forums. Therefore anything additional to the text itself is generally understood to tell a story. I prefer emoticons myself, but bold, italics, ALL CAPS, extra punctuation?!??! etc. tend to convey that there is something more to interpret than just the text.

:thumbsup:

Also, since you are a new member, people don't have a good sense of who you are, and what your general attitude is. Based on the questions you've asked, we know you are still feeling out both the game itself, and this forum as a whole. And, in many ways, the Internet can be a crazy, nasty place - so :crazyeye:

I will more than likely not use this forum again… It's not like I'm some Newbie to forums… Ya'll have a good day………
That would be a shame, I think that you will find that overall CivFanactis is a very nice place to visit and hang out. Overall, we can be a bit fanatical though! :shifty:

Perhaps I should find a school for 74-year-old retired writers that could teach me how to communicate in on-line forums…

This is sarcasm, which you clarify by using the "..." at the end. That's my point.

I wasn't trying to be rude, just trying to clear the confusion.

Also, I disagree that saying a comment is helpful implies others were unhelpful. Or even if it does, I don't see why that should be an issue.

I wasn't trying to be rude, just trying to clear the confusion.
I have tried to clarify to the OP that you are all helpful in PM's. Even @Vandlys initial reply was gentle saying things can be misunderstood.
It seems to no avail, best to let sleeping dogs lie and hopefully he will see the intent was not there.

Moderator Action: This is what happens when we discuss the person, or their posting style, instead of sticking to the topic. Please, in future, just stay on topic.

Top Bottom