ROTQM12: Re-enactment Of The Queen Mother

Excellent set. No one End Turns quite like Ruff-PTLWPWHNPATNRPA.

I changed my mind on the whole Pottery for Cottages thing ~ I way into the old Agriculture for Farming FPs thing now. Lotta hipsters are into it too.

I believe Nolition said that he will play the third set, so I'll give him 24 to see if he does feel like that, or is just pulling our collective legs.

PS ~ you can say "Ruff Pittle Whip Whan Patton Rippa"

Well played, from the looks of it!

I believe Nolition said that he will play the third set, so I'll give him 24 to see if he does feel like that, or is just pulling our collective legs.
I'll make the time.

But that's also what I would say if I were pulling your legs.

So I guess you really don't know if I'll play or not.

But I will. That's what I want you to think.

Last edited:
I hate to end the suspense, but I did in fact play.

My first move was to spend longer than ruff_hi did in all of his turns just on trying to figure out how to access the BUG menu. I bet he thought he could stop me from changing the settings by taking the icon away. Who thought up the shortcut ALT CTRL O in the first place?

I turned the alternate game clock OFF. All other settings left unchanged.

I'm feeling sentimental, so I took a picture of this forest growing. I also didn't swap away from Bronze Working, because let's just work some bronze. I also like how it lists Japan as DEAD in all caps.

I don't know how to get those fancy logs, so here's a screenshot. Hinduism founded in a distant land. Warrior trying to do a bit of exploring.

Julius Caesar was the one who founded Hinduism. I've already failed on mission: don't meet anyone.

I fail again. This time it's a warrior, so I bring our own back just in case the Chinese try to ravage London.

Kyoto grows to size 3, finishes the warrior. I start building a worker. London's worker finishes, and can't do anything except start quarrying that stone. Who picked our research priorities?? Hehe. I also put one turn into another warrior in London (for scouting) but it can be changed to GWall for barb purposes.

Attachments

• The Queen Mother BC-3125.CivBeyondSwordSave
    65.7 KB · Views: 137
Well done.

I'd change the warrior to an archer in London (for defence), don't put any hammers into GWall until Stone is hooked up. An archer in Kyoto after the worker would be good as well.

Not sure about continuing with BW as we will have 2 workers soonish and need to keep them occupied, Agriculture, Pottery and Animal Husbandry can do that (although if we have Copper I take it back).

Looks like you're up pholk!

Roster:
ozbenno
ruff_hi
Nolition
pholkhero <-- up now
Rex <-- ???

Yeah. I had a similar thought process.

We can build mines, but that's the only non-quarry tile improvement available for us until we get agriculture.

Good set ... nice exploring with the warrior.

My first move was to spend longer than ruff_hi did in all of his turns just on trying to figure out how to access the BUG menu. I bet he thought he could stop me from changing the settings by taking the icon away. Who thought up the shortcut ALT CTRL O in the first place?

That was either me or EmperorFool. We did add a flashing 'Alt-Ctrl-O to change options' text (where it says 'hit enter for next turn') that you should see every time you start the game.

Nolition said:
I turned the alternate game clock OFF. All other settings left unchanged.

I don't like the alternate game clock either ... but I forgot to turn it off. BTW ... these BUG / BUFFY options are install specific ... they are yours and WILL NOT travel forward with the game.

Nolition said:
I'm feeling sentimental, so I took a picture of this forest growing.

Spoiler Why is this image so small? :

One problem that we will run into is getting around the lack to that new forest that is in our BFC (big fat cross) - that trip will be annoying.

Nolition said:
I don't know how to get those fancy logs

Logging tab on the options page. I thought it started automatically but it didn't seem to want to. I had to provide a hard coded path to one of my directories.

BW finishes in 5 turns. The quarry is complete in 8. Agric will take 8 turns ... but farming FP gives +1 food ... did I mention that this capital location is very(!) food poor? Even our one food tile only gives +1 food when improved. This is not your science superstar that other capitals can be. We should look to relocate the capital and leave London as The Defender of the Empire.

I would finish BW, chop a tree while waiting for Agric (if we want to go that way). The stone connects via the river so we don't need roads to connect it.

What can I say. I'm a natural homebody.

We couldn't road to the stone even if it were necessary. We don't have The Wheel.

[Side note: my tone okay?]

We couldn't road to the stone even if it were necessary. We don't have The Wheel.

Duh!!!!! That is exactly what I am saying. Some low quality players (Pholk) might think that we need the wheel and research it to connect our stone.

Nolition said:
[Side note: my tone okay?]

Yes. See above :D:D:D:D:D:D:run:

I, too, thought keeping BW to get the chops for GWall.

I've got it; will play later today i think.

so, after BW, Wheel for roads to connect stone and then monotheism for religion ~ got it! :thumbsup:

ho ho ho

Some low quality players (Pholk)

Are we talking about the same pholkhero whose auto signature literally says that it's fun to lose with him?

PS my tablet's keyboard swipe replaced "pholkhero" with bookshelf. Seemed fitting.

Is the stone irrigated? If not, we'll have to wait until Bureaucracy.

don't be mad no one think's you're fun

and i quote:
We’re here to have fun, and, of course, winning is fun, but losing in style is preferable to a boring win.
and i /quote

also:
Echo: Be Excellent to Each Other. Being a better player does not give you the right to belittle anyone else or their play. Other people are going to disagree with you on major decisions; get used to the idea, and play nice. If not, take your ball and go home.
esp when they're going to be a 3rd Bill and Ted movie

not much to report. we're jewish now, and I farmed the stone as requested.

Turns out i'm not as good as Ruff; instead of pressing enter, I was pressing backspace. Took me about 3 hours to finish my ten turns.

I MM'd london to focus on production just to get the Archer out faster.
After a few turns, BW came in. We got copper:

and revolted:

Headed for Husbandry to see Horses and upgrade our cow soonish. After we finished improving the stone, i moved to the gold instead of prechopping thinking we could use the immediate production. Might've been :smoke:

There was a brief confrontation in the woods:

I told him that I was Brian, and so was my wife, and he left us alone.

Spied Monty:

Or he spied us.

That's basically it. Almost done AH, still production focused in London, but once the archer is done, maybe swap to grow so we can whip the GWall as well as use the chops. Thinking our next city should go here:

for bridging our cities and grabbing the elephants for later w Construction.

Some shots of the empire, and preliminary dotting ~
The north:

and the south:

Roster:
ozbenno > UP NOW
ruff_hi > on deck
Nolition
Bookshelph > just played a terrific set of turns
Rex > too cool for us; playing SGs with his "real friends" now

Attachments

• The Queen Mother BC-2875.CivBeyondSwordSave
    69.8 KB · Views: 160
Last edited:
don't be mad no one think's you're fun

You are right, you are right. I have re-read the DM SG Rules and will read them again before posting / reporting.

DM SG Rules
Spoiler :

Alpha: The quality of your report outweighs the quality of your play. We'’re here to have fun, and, of course, winning is fun, but losing in style is preferable to a boring win. [see pholk's signature if you have any questions]

Bravo: Reports should be detailed, with screen shots and player commentary, explanations, musings, etc; an auto-log dump will not suffice.

Charlie: Punctuality rocks! “24/48” means post a "got it" within 24 hours of when the last save was posted, and play and post within 48 hours of that ‘got it.’ Waiting 47 hours to ask for a skip is lame. Punk out two times in a row, and you’ll be dropped from the roster. Skips and swaps are fine, but try to let us know sooner, rather than later. Looking at you here, pholk!

Delta: Major game decisions (war/peace declarations, city/district placement, Great People placement, I guess even builder improvements) should be arrived at via group consensus.
1. If the team disagrees with you, you can either argue your case better or do it their way. Do NOT just blow them off and do it your way because it's your turn. We're not all special little snowflakes, you especially.
2. If there’ is no consensus and you'’re up, do it your way and explain why. Conversely, if someone else is up, don't whine when they do it their way.
3. Similarly, overruling techs or city builds is rude [unless Greyfox comes back and plays after pholk] and should be done via consensus, barring an emergency.
4. In extraordinary situations, sometimes an opportunity presents itself that the group didn't foresee. If the consequences of it are great, players should stop, and refer the question to the group.

Echo: Be Excellent to Each Other. Being a better player does not give you the right to belittle anyone else or their play. Other people are going to disagree with you on major decisions; get used to the idea, and play nice. If not, take your ball and go home. Party On, Dude!

Foxtrot: Thread spam is good. We’'re here to play in a friendly environment. Trash talking, poking fun, gentle ribbing, virtual noogies, and generally horsing around are all encouraged, esp as many of us haven't been around in a while and haven't "seen" many of you in long time, if ever. However, don’t be jerk. Looking at you here, Rex!

Golf: Automate sparingly.
1. Use of the “Emphasis” buttons is fine, but let the group know and explain your reasoning (specialization is a major game decision). If you prevent growth in a city, let the group know and remind them to take it off.
2. Sending units on go-to routes that last beyond your set is acceptable only if they’re heading for a rally point or if you otherwise inform your teammates.

Hotel: NEVER fortify Great People. Is it so hard to push the spacebar 15 times??

India: Sign spamming is rude. Signs can be helpful reminders, but too many signs makes them easily ignored. Once a sign is no longer valid, delete it. [The only exception to this are city specialization signs.]

pholkhero said:
not much to report. we're jewish now, and I farmed the stone as requested.

Turns out i'm not as good as Ruff; instead of pressing enter, I was pressing backspace. Took me about 3 hours to finish my ten turns.

I MM'd london to focus on production just to get the Archer out faster.
After a few turns, BW came in. We got copper:

Good job on getting copper!

pholkhero said:
i moved to the gold instead of prechopping thinking we could use the immediate production. Might've been :smoke:

I always like a high tech rate ... especially in Always War.

pholkhero said:
Spied Monty:
Hmm ... from our South? Or did he come from the North between our cities? I was going to say 'beware of Monty as he is a nut case re DOWs' ... but that doesn't make any sense as this is AW.

pholkhero said:
Some shots of the empire, and preliminary dotting ~
The north:

Not a huge fan of this one ... maybe one city SWSW of the dot to retain the corn and work some hills and one NW of the banana to pick up all of the other goodies. We have to use that banana. Maybe city 1SE of the banana to work the flood plains and move the Phant city SW?

We are going to struggle for food.

i was talking about no one liking Rex, but I am sorry no one thinks you're fun. i mean, we tolerate you, so you've got that going for you . . . which is nice . . .

also, will be OOP 4/27-5/6 (* i think* ~ going to see if the soon-to-be-wife's laptop will handle Civ 4 and if i feel like playing on my honeymoon)

Top Bottom