RR17 - Rage against the machines

Vranasm, I think maybe we're having different expectations from the strategy. I didn't mean to imply that it's the fastest or only strategy for any particular start, just that I see it as a valid option among others.
I settled my 4th city over at Pericles' I believe, just a bit north of Carthage. By CS I must have had 5 or 6 total (two more on the north coast, one south of Carthage, one on the other island; and maybe one inland at the stone/cow already). After BW and IW I did a second REX push into the jungle and cottaged up the lands there. Had a total of 12 eventually but don't remember when. I do realize that in a position like this, a GLH trade economy can be strong, even more so when backed by the Colossus.

Brennus and UnforcedError, you are making an interesting point about Feud through Maths for warring. The thing is, you can't bulb CS with a GM through the Feud path because Alpha, Currency and CoL are all higher in the GM's bulb order. So if it's CS you want to bulb, you must go through the top branch whether you want it or not.
Monarchy and Feud are necessary for a large part of the tech tree, but except for Divine Right (does anyone ever research that?) all of those techs are in the bottom branch behind Guilds. Which requires BW.

As a conclusion, I agree with UE that I only see value in early Feud for warring. I can't see the Math path working out without being PHI; waiting 50 turns after HG is built for a GE to pop is just too slow. With PHI it's 25 turns, which probably puts the time to Feud in the same region where I got CS and means you're defenseless for just as long. You can't run any scientists in the meantime so you don't dilute your GP pool, which means that despite being PHI, you need an alternative source of commerce and can't build your economy around your trait.
Once you get Feud, you can start warring immediately. Well, you'll likely need some production first, so get bronze, chop and mine. Longbows are 60 a pop, cheaper than maces, but you won't have the Bureau bonus. I think the time you save compared to a CS bulb with followup maces is the time it takes the CS player to research MC and Machinery. The CS route gives you three big economic advantages in Currency, CoL (Caste) and CS, which means you're probably looking at about 15 turns difference.

For me, it boils down to this:
- Feud: 60:hammers: longbows, 6:strength:, running vassalage and serfdom, no economy bonuses
- CS: 80:hammers: maces, 8:strength:, running caste and CS, 1 extra trade route per city (Currency), more techs researched, 15 turns later

You could be less defenseless (more defenseful?) by getting archers first and upgrading them later. Without any economic techs I think it will be hard to raise cash for the LB upgrade though. I don't see the Feud approach as useless, but I currently feel the CS bulb means more gain for about the same effort.

most problematic here is the timing and production as was said.

On Immortal you can run into longbows at 1 AD (I saw even sooner ones). On Deity it can be 500 BC.

the best shot probably would be to oracle the thing with high commerce source start around 1400 BC.

I remember me trying some Oracle->Feud shenanigans on Emperor with Sitting Bull and was not satisfiable even if I got 500 BC attack date. Longbows are just too weak

Actually XBows 500 BC rush is better because AI's like to spam axes if they have copper/iron.

What I found most problematic with this new view on things is that it actually doesn't present any real advantage I would see on normal maps and usually feels more like hurting your game then helping (can't improve land, can't abuse high food starts etc, less safety - copper, emergency whips etc).

It seems to work reasonably well on those arid maps, but that is problem of the map and not advantage of the strategy.

@rolo - are you planning to roll at start any time soon, or are you trying to go for the record of most talk before a game?

Well, just a final question ( actually it is Tatran question but I agree with him ) : what conditions exactly should the non-BW team fulfill before getting BW ? Someone suggested two bulbs but that IMHO funnels too much the game . TBH I was thinking in Civil service or Feudalism as triggers ... what do you think ?

Astronomy is required for invasions and oversea trading.
Maybe allow Bronze Working when you've met several other oversea civs.

Astro might be good; CS and Feud are a bit too early I think. It'd just mean we whip/chop that much harder when we get there.

TBH, I'm not that interested any more personally. I feel like after my test games, I have already explored what I could think of as far as 'useful strategy' rather than 'variant' goes.
I'll lurk with interest, but I feel I don't have much to contribute now.

Ok, I'll go with Tatran suggestion: BW-less team can't get BW before Astro

So, regarding confirmations ( and sorry for the lateness, have not been very turned to theCiv Iv matters these days ):

r_rolo1
LK
Sengir
vranasm
UnforcedError
astre
pigswill

I assume that nocho and lymond are also in but they haven't confirmed that yet. Will draw a team list tonight at worse

I assume that nocho and lymond are also in but they haven't confirmed that yet. Will draw a team list tonight at worse
I'm afraid I have little time to dedicate the coming months. Even less civ time than usual and SGOTM is going on of course. Why don't you just play a regular SG with the current roster to try the non-BW strategy? Nobody seems overly interested in doing the BW part...
The thing also with teams is that one team always seems to have to wait a month and a half for the other team (the one with rolo :p) to finish, which is not really ideal. And being on a 4-men(/women) team will make teams more vulnerable to lesser participation from a few team members... Dunno, but I'm ready to lurk this one. :)

To be honest, I would probably want to do a 1 team SG but there is far too many people for that and I assume that no one wants to do the control part, since there is no fun there :p

Anyway, I think that I'll go with the 1 team format with no BW. It seems the better compromise. If no one disagrees I'll play tomorrow.

^^I'm OK with that, sure.

Ok, I'll go with Tatran suggestion: BW-less team can't get BW before Astro

*Lurker*

How exactly is the BW-less team supposed to get Astro if it requires Optics as a pre-req? :p (Not to mention the Optics pre-req in Compass, which in turn requires Iron-Working, which again needs Bronze-Working :mischief:)

*Lurker*

How exactly is the BW-less team supposed to get Astro if it requires Optics as a pre-req? :p (Not to mention the Optics pre-req in Compass, which in turn requires Iron-Working, which again needs Bronze-Working :mischief:)
I suppose we will win the game before we get either BW or Astro :)

*Lurker*

If you guys can actually pull off a win on a Hemispheres map without teching BW, I take my hat off to you. It would also make for an awesome game! :)

*Lurker*

If you guys can actually pull off a win on a Hemispheres map without teching BW, I take my hat off to you. It would also make for an awesome game! :)
Culture's doable, although a fairly late one without BW all the way... Or we could wait for someone to build the UN... :)

to be brutally honest I think Brennus just very cleverly trolls us... am a bit exhausted now with the no-BW thing since it seems like the task changes all the time :-( and the way brennus approached few last things said in the deity #2 troll thread is kind of meh.

still count me in...want to see what some good collaborative effort can bring, hopefully without trolling.

to be brutally honest I think Brennus just very cleverly trolls us... am a bit exhausted now with the no-BW thing since it seems like the task changes all the time :-( and the way brennus approached few last things said in the deity #2 troll thread is kind of meh.

still count me in...want to see what some good collaborative effort can bring, hopefully without trolling.
I'm beginning to suspect that too... I think it should still be interesting to see how we could approach a game without an early BW.

Rather than a tech pick an Era, ie no BW till Industrial Era. Gives more options to the team to explore the late-BW route.

Top Bottom