SCENARIO: Age of Imperialism; 1895-1924, Deluxe Version

As Russia you don't need to defend all your cities. Only the border ones.
I prefer to at least have something in every city. Better safe than sorry.

Not to mention, if I recall correctly, it gives a happy face if you have a unit there. I'd have to check to make sure of that, but I do recall happiness being imparted via that method.

Edit: Confirmed, there is a military police limit of 1, which means one happy face from a military unit.

I wouldn't botherr defending interior cities in like Central Asia and Siberia that no one can reach. I don't even do it with smaller civs like Germany when the city is in the interior.

I usually don't have problems with happiness. You have plenty of population just assign entertainers or use the luxury slider.

Now if I have an ROP with someone then I do it. I once had the misfortune of being ROP raped by Russia as Germany I only had one home guard defending a massive stack of artillery, fortunately the Russians are miserable they only sent one unit and the home guard held. Can't trust the AI their sneaky like that.

I wouldn't bother defending interior cities in like Central Asia and Siberia that no one can reach.

They can be reached. The AI moves troops through Russian territory, either to ship resources or to fight barbarians.

Regarding the military police effect, it's not 1. Depends on government; the effect is larger for Germany (Fascism=4).

Does anyone know if unsuccessful spy missions damage your reputation?

Does anyone know if unsuccessful spy missions damage your reputation?

Hi,

It does with that paticular civ and it used to be something i did to rop rape someone without the international bad rep. Just move your stacks outside their cities, make a load of crummy attempts of spying on them, they get really pissed then demand some gold and they'll declare war.

I now think that this isn't right, nor do i feel rop raping is right even with the rep hit, but to each his own and history is full of bad guys who would be willing to do this.

Thanks,Pat.

thanks for all of the comments fellas :)

and yes, ATF, i'm leaning towards blocking that area off -- most likely from the north which would mean that it'd be connected to S America and that anyone coming from the north (ie uncle sam) would have to do an amph landing to take it.

i think what sealed the deal for us as developers is the fact that the canal itself wasn't opened for business until 1914. contrast this against the suez which had been open for a while (1860s irrc)...and it becomes more clear, i think.

now, this is one of those unenviable 'history versus gameplay' decisions. i mean, it's going to hurt some civs who had been using the opening there to send back their RMs (spain is one, GB, Fr too). so on that note, we'll have to keep an eye on the AI reaction to it during beta testing. my first line of thought will be that the AI may take the more historically accurate suez route (or the cape horn route) since it may now be shorter overall...but we shall see as they say :) i'll be watching it closely.

They can be reached. The AI moves troops through Russian territory, either to ship resources or to fight barbarians.

Barbarians? There are none. I've never seen the AI go through Russian territory. Well I sealed off the north it my version so maybe there is that.

Also a question. Mexico and Central America have access to industrialization don't they? Because they are not cut off from it.

yes, there's no way for them to be sealed off unless i put an ungodly border along the Rio Grande...and i didn't want to have to do that. so this means that this area (c america & canada too) can't have the Colonialism resource b/c the US would be able to have it flow into its capital.

Barbarians? There are none. I've never seen the AI go through Russian territory. Well I sealed off the north it my version so maybe there is that.

In an unmodified game barbarians appear regularly in Russia and Canada. Many civs flock the Trans-Siberian railroad in my games with Germany and France the worst offenders. In the event of war Russia regularly loses Siberian cities to GB.

BTW, what are the reasons for assigning Despotism to Japan? The Emperor was not that important even in the Meiji era, and afterwards during Taisho and Showa Japan progressed to outright fascism, with State Shinto and PMs mere puppets of the army. In conclusion, fascism with no single leader.

Two quick things:

1. How bad does the Barbarians get in Siberia during the game? Doe the AI pile through Russian territory to reach and fight barbarian units that pop up in the tundra regions?

2. I was playing the scenario last night testing the combat system and invaded Japanese-held Korea with a force of 5 Cossacks and 4 Russian Infantry units. The first fight was against a Japanese Home Guard atop a hill. I ended up losing all 4 Cossacks and a Infantry to the Home Guard, which ws never killed. Very tough! Has anyone else had similiar lop-sided combats? I realize that artillery units would greatly help, but I thought that I would be able to kill the units even if I lost a couple of units in the combat.

I would recommend against invasion as Russia until you've built up a good force. There's really no one you're capable of taking on immediately.

those aren't home guards on top of those hills - they're border guards :p and they have some pretty buff defensive values (can't recall atm but they're stiff). plus they're in the "trenches"; so beware my friend :)

i've seen light activity regarding the barb units...the brits, french, spanish, austrians, germans...all toting out expeditionary forces to anihilate them. i'll likey seal off the northern reaches of the map so this doesn't occur b/c as some other astute posters noted, it puts Ivan in one helluva spot when war is declared against them (the enemy is crawling up that soft underbelly). also, i'm probably going to change the default barb units to the raw material units...this way, there's no combat and if the aforementioned civs feel so inclined to go after the "barbarian" raw material units, then more power to 'em :cool: consider it like some sort of polar expedition :banana: which is in the new version btw (via wonder).

Why don't you just bring the whole of the northern regions under control? It wouldn't take more than 3 or so cities cranked at max culture and you wouldn't have the problem at all.

In regards to interior Russian garrisons, this is something you want to do early to help with the happiness issues. Every citizen you have to have on entertainer duty is one less getting you cash, science, or civil improvement shield production. Russia has a huge allotment of "free" units before units start costing maintenance. Use that to your advantage.

I usually employ two strategies to help fill up those interior cities. The first is to slowly draft units from the fast growing cities of European Russia to help hold down their population a bit until I can get some mines in to up their production, etc. The second is I will station my reserve "fire brigade" units (usually cav) in cities that are connected by rail.

This is all early game stuff a Russian should be looking at while trying to get as many roads built as possible not only to improve their road net, but also cash/science as well and take advantage of that massive population. Russia also needs to forget early campaigns of aggression. You simply don't have the available units and what you have is not that hot. Don't neglect your navy either. You will need it in the Baltic and the Pacific. Build up your Black sea fleet if you intend to be aggressive with the Ottoman. At worst you can usually hold your own against the enemy fleet and in many cases, can use your fleet for needed shore bombardment to help the army assault coastal cities, because your artillery is not very good for a long time.

I wouldn't botherr defending interior cities in like Central Asia and Siberia that no one can reach. I don't even do it with smaller civs like Germany when the city is in the interior.

I usually don't have problems with happiness. You have plenty of population just assign entertainers or use the luxury slider.

Now if I have an ROP with someone then I do it. I once had the misfortune of being ROP raped by Russia as Germany I only had one home guard defending a massive stack of artillery, fortunately the Russians are miserable they only sent one unit and the home guard held. Can't trust the AI their sneaky like that.

I usually have RoP's with nearly everyone, and like I stated before: better safe than sorry.

El Justo said:
those aren't home guards on top of those hills - they're border guards and they have some pretty buff defensive values (can't recall atm but they're stiff). plus they're in the "trenches"; so beware my friend
Nothing a stack or two of artillery and cavalry can't handle ;)

santa's workshop perhaps? :p

No I mean like Yellowknife, Whitehorse, and Iqaluit should cover Canada. And for Russia I don't know but I'm sure they have a few small towns up there which can work.

Top Bottom