Scion's Lore

KamikazeFTW

Chieftain
Bhall is a she,The Sidar worship Arawn, but he doesn't care and won't ever grant any divine powers to any priests. His archangel Gyra had helped the Sidar once or twice, but she is way too busy as the only one trying to stop Laroth to do too much.QUOTE]

So I've always been soooo confused by the Scion Lore, I've read the lore story but I start I get cross-eyed by the end of it :confused:

So in laymen terms, who is the Risen Emperor, who are they, who is Laroth and why are they "bad guys" (I think, don't hold that against me :D )

Best thing is just to tell you to read this: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=335081

However, a quick rundown:
  • The Emperor is an angel of Esus, sent to accomplish a task (either infiltrate Arawn's vault or Laroth's group, cannot remember which), but is betrayed by Ceridwen
  • Laroth is a former Arch-Mage (of Spirit, IIRC) from the Age of Magic who is trying to usurp Arawn's godhood.
  • Korinna is Gyra's daughter; Gyra is using the Emperor as a weapon against Laroth.
  • While in Arawn's realm, the Emperor creates a "False-Laroth", to whom many former Patrians gather. This is the source of the Scion population.

Best thing is just to tell you to read this: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=335081

However, a quick rundown:
  • The Emperor is an angel of Esus, sent to accomplish a task (either infiltrate Arawn's vault or Laroth's group, cannot remember which), but is betrayed by Ceridwen
  • Laroth is a former Arch-Mage (of Spirit, IIRC) from the Age of Magic who is trying to usurp Arawn's godhood.
  • Korinna is Gyra's daughter; Gyra is using the Emperor as a weapon against Laroth.
  • While in Arawn's realm, the Emperor creates a "False-Laroth", to whom many former Patrians gather. This is the source of the Scion population.

More precisely: Esus sent the Emperor to help Laroth usurp Arawn by guiding souls that were meant to go to Arawn into Laroth's hands, the Emperor however hasn't fallen and isn't aware that he is on the side of evil.
In Arawn's realm the Emperor meets Gyra who appears to be aware of his mission (more so than the Emperor himself). Instead of killing him she protects him and entrusts him with his daughter Korinna. When he is about to complete his mission she shows him the false Laroth which the Emperor has created subconsciously causing him to realize that he is not ready to hand over the souls he collected to Arawn.
The Emperor than leaves the realm of the dead but he is caught in a trap Ceridwen set for him (presumably because she was betrayed by Esus). He somehow manages to escapes thereby acquiring the knowledge he would later use to create the Haunted Lands.
It is only after he reunites with Korinna and he founds the Scions that he realizes that he was tricked by Esus. He is than faced with the choice to either fall and return to his creators side or to fulfill Gyra's hope and turn against him.

I believe the Scions were originally planned to play differently depending on their alignment but that was never implemented because they are Cultist and Broader Alignments is not fully implemented.
Anyway, the Scions are not evil, it is up to you whether you play them as evil, good or even neutral in the Grigori/Mechanos sense.

Bhall is a she,The Sidar worship Arawn, but he doesn't care and won't ever grant any divine powers to any priests. His archangel Gyra had helped the Sidar once or twice, but she is way too busy as the only one trying to stop Laroth to do too much.QUOTE]

So I've always been soooo confused by the Scion Lore, I've read the lore story but I start I get cross-eyed by the end of it :confused:

So in laymen terms, who is the Risen Emperor, who are they, who is Laroth and why are they "bad guys" (I think, don't hold that against me :D )

Ask Tarquelne, he actually created them. You find him here: http://forums.civfanatics.com/member.php?u=7062

He created a new civ for MoM, too.

I thought that the Risen were somehow based on Scott Westerfeld books. Keep meaning to read them. would that help?

I think "based" isn't the best word. P.C. Hodgell's fantasy "Godstalk" and the sci-fi Westerfeld books inspired a great deal. And some basic concepts were lifted more or less intact. But there's nothing to be learned about the Scions from them. (Except the origin of a number of specific phrases, word-use, and a few specific Haunted Lands effects.)

OTOH, if you think there's anything cool about the Scions then you'd probably enjoy the books. Though almost every single detail is different, they had a lot to do with the "feel" of the civ.

"Dont forget it was another archmage that WTFPWN'd the God of Winter"
yea but Kyolrin is awesomesauce, and also had the GODSLAYER!

"Given that Arawn not only takes no action, but forbids his angels from taking action, even as they defect to serve Laroth.... Potentially quite a bit."

and why doesn't Arawn care that he's going to have a coup d'etat on his hands?

Heck even Danalin's angels are being more loyal and he's making a hellish nightmare of a religion with his dreams...

Top Bottom