September Patch Notes Discussion

There are a bunch of 'minor' glitches and subtle changes in the new Patch . . .
1. A whole bunch of us in the Mac community had the 'No Full Screen Mode' problem, and it turns out to require manual resetting in the Aspyr Splash Screen from Metal to OpenGL - results in a slight degrading of graphics look but is otherwise playable, Thank Loki!
2. The Terra Map has all the Civs on one continent, all the City States on the other, so regardless of the 'Mystery', the map requires some definite changes in Play from the usual. It also appears to 'cram' Civs onto the one continent, making it a Cockpit of Conflict - sort of a continent-wide Low Countries circa 17th - 18th centuries. I suspect I'll end up playing it with one - two less Civs than normal to create less pressure for purely naval exploration development, more 'room' for alternate strategies.
3. As far as I know, unique to Mac also: several people (me included) have reported being unable to make Trade Routes in games, despite Trade Routes working fine for other (AI) Civs and City States. This may be a Bad Mod Reaction, more testing later today.
4. Generally, and I haven't looked at all of them yet, the new maps like Terra and Tilted seem to be designed to require much more rethinking of play style and development path than 'normal' maps, even those as different as Islands and Pangaea. That's a Major Plus, in my book, because it means with the same Civ, opponents, and other setting a simple change of map type gives you an entirely new and different game.

I was able to acquire Favor along with gold and open borders in exchange for a luxury, which I wasn't able to do before. But since it was still early in the game, I'm not sure what the maximum amount of Favor they were willing to part with was.

2. The Terra Map has all the Civs on one continent, all the City States on the other, so regardless of the 'Mystery', the map requires some definite changes in Play from the usual. It also appears to 'cram' Civs onto the one continent, making it a Cockpit of Conflict - sort of a continent-wide Low Countries circa 17th - 18th centuries. I suspect I'll end up playing it with one - two less Civs than normal to create less pressure for purely naval exploration development, more 'room' for alternate strategies.

For what it's worth, Firaxis' Carl recommended in TheGameMechanic's chat to play one map size larger than normal for Terra. So, use a Standard map with 6 civs or a Large map with 8, and so on.

For what it's worth, Firaxis' Carl recommended in TheGameMechanic's chat to play one map size larger than normal for Terra. So, use a Standard map with 6 civs or a Large map with 8, and so on.

I'm in Complete agreement with a Firaxis Developer!?!
Stop the Presses! The Millennium is Upon Us!

Seems they did not mention anything about the AIs pantheon choices... religious settlements was once easy to get... now I never get it. Seems they prioritize it over earth goddess now.

I'm in Complete agreement with a Firaxis Developer!?!
Stop the Presses! The Millennium is Upon Us!
If it makes you feel better, I'm pretty sure he's not a developer

I've found city-stated on the Terra map. They're just so few that they're all likely to get gobbled up pretty quickly by conquest-happy civ's running out of space. Pretty tough to get the Political Philosophy boost for sure.
Even knocking two civ's off, it's still unwieldy. Seems to follow the general pattern of maps, where lowering the number of civ's doesn't seeem to result in more spacious distribution. Rather, the map is filled out for the default number, and then holes are left for the missing number. So, instead of everyone getting more elbow, a few civ's jackpot into wide open space.

I played as Canada, figuring the tundra would be less up-for-grabs. Thing is, most civ's are utterly land-locked, so getting to that other continent is a problem for them.

I'm seeing issues when creating new games with pre-patch configurations (i.e. Load Configuration). Issues are primarily around unavailable GP (e.g. no GG GS GP, but GW, GA, GM etc still there), plus no religions (clearly due to lack of great prophets). Creating a new configuration and using that seems to work fine. Not a significant issue since creating configurations is easy enough to do.

Twisted Earth... so one pole in the middle and the other pole at the corners.
All 4 sides are not navigable but you do get circumnavigation making it to both ends.
Interesting, thanks for sharing these images.

I think it makes sense that you can't cross edges since with the titled axis, the opposite pole would occupy all edges. Imagine looking down at the a globe of the earth from above the north pole, then unwrapping the surface (map) opening it up from the south pole and flattening it out on a table in front of you. You'd end up with the north pole in the middle, the rest of the world map extending radially from there, and all the edges correspond to the south pole, like they did with this map. It would also be a "warped" map in that the scale of distances changes the farther away you are from the center, I think it's better interpreted in polar coordinates.

This is more of a Flat-earther's point of view than tilted axis, though.
Not really, a flat earth would just end at the edge, this one is consistent across the edges, but all edges are at the opposite pole, that's why you can't traverse them. This is consistent with other maps where you can't traverse the poles, usually placed at the "top" and "bottom" of the map.

I find this stuff interesting :)

Last edited:
Not really, a flat earth would just end at the edge, this one is consistent across the edges, but all edges are at the opposite pole, that's why you can't traverse them. This is consistent with other maps where you can't traverse the poles, usually placed at the "top" and "bottom" of the map.

I find this stuff interesting :)

Have a look at this. Pretty close, imo.

:eek: You do not work in IT projects do you :eek:
In some companies, QA people are part of the development team. But they're not technically developers. Usually.

Wow:

Barbs now totally on player's side :) Here, this barely alive barb slinger whom I almost shot to death did not retaliate but attacked Gyeongju instead previous turn and now moved over the river, and this turn, the barb catapult just bombarded Gyeongju for whole 34 damage. Sweet! :D

Wow:

Barbs now totally on player's side :) Here, this barely alive barb slinger whom I almost shot to death did not retaliate but attacked Gyeongju instead previous turn and now moved over the river, and this turn, the barb catapult just bombarded Gyeongju for whole 34 damage. Sweet! :D

So, a Stealth Development: Barbarian Mercenaries you don't actually have to pay? Alert the Carthaginians! "Barbarians" like Iberians, Gauls and Numidians were the bulk of Hannibal's army . . .

Top Bottom