SGOTM 17 - Unusual Suspects

Morning peeps.

No Oracle, but GLH is available.

From memory, revolting in the first turn is always best on later starts, but I have only managed to play one test start on Classical... it was weird.

.... and yay, a thread STW can't post in.

At least until both of your teams are finished with the game... Feb 23 or so.:satan:

J/K

Good luck and have fun!

What are our end goals? How far up the tech paths do we need to go?

I'm happy to conquer everyone just using Trebs, Maces & X-bows.

We will need at least Astro.

Depends on the map. This is immortal and a flat map so trebs may not be as straight forward as you you might think. Flat maps tend to be quite big and one turn units are slow; bombarding is even slower.

Also, may be wise to pick a nearby AI and choke it and steal workers from them if we are going for early war; need all those new cities improved 'correctly'. :)

May be interesting to check out some HoF immortal conquest games on flat maps to see finish dates on them to get an estimate. :)

May be interesting to check out some HoF immortal conquest games on flat maps to see finish dates on them to get an estimate. :)

7 of the top 10 Immortal Conquest victories (Normal speed, Standard map size) in the HOF are on Great Plains maps. The finish dates range from 960AD to 1715AD.

As neilmeister eluded to earlier, I doubt we will get a map that doesn't require overseas invasion. The fastest finish time for an Archipelago map under those conditions was 1070AD.

I've done a few more tests, and our big problem is hammers, we don't have any.

If we are near an AI, and they found a religion, they will spread it rapidly.

Soooo, I'm now leaning towards Maths first, then maybe Currency.

If we can find some hills in the first turn, then I thinking moving is definitely on the cards.

.... and yay, a thread STW can't post in.

Actually laughed out loud.

What are our end goals? How far up the tech paths do we need to go?

Is needing Astro speculation or is this known?

I think Astro needed is speculation. There have been multiple hints that this is going to be "harder" than normal, which suggests overseas. I'm not sold that astro is required. Fortunately, we should have a few dozen turns at least before it matters -- even if we decide to beeline astro.

If we are near an AI, and they found a religion, they will spread it rapidly.

Soooo, I'm now leaning towards Maths first, then maybe Currency.

If we can find some hills in the first turn, then I thinking moving is definitely on the cards.

My initial thought it is going to take forever to research and tech would be critical. Getting to engineering, machinery, astro, etc. the quickest for trebs, maces, etc would be essential. What about a strategy based on a getting a cottaged capital for research and satellite cities as unit whip stations.
That said, some testing is in order.

Is needing Astro speculation or is this known?

It is speculation, I'm sure we will need it either for crossing an ocean or simply for speed. Look at the Ducks in SGOTM 14

Yeah - My first reaction when I saw the screenshot was that SIP has no hammers, but lots of food, so at least we can use the whip for early production. But then I realized that improved crabs is only 4F, and the banana tiles will be 5F only after plantations, which won't help us for a while. Especially since we can only farm the west bananas (4F) in the meantime.

I am interested in the spot 2W1S of where the settler is now. If there are more hills or another food resource that would be a nice location that could still work the crabs and the bananas we can farm. The second bananas could be taken by a later cottage city.

Yes, we don't need to decide about Astro for some time.

But, as you guys have suggested, it takes so long to get the first few techs that they are quite important. Once we have established a few cities, and have cottages developing, the techs will flow faster again.

Maths gives us the hammer boost from chops.
CoL gives us a religion and allows us to build Rathaus.

I don't know if anything else is required form the beginning, as our cities can already build Granary, LH, Barracks, Monument and obviously settlers & workers.

So, we don't need worker techs and we don't need building techs. I'm happy to go with a commerce heavy capital, and surrounding cities for hammers.

edit: indeed, I don't like SIP much at all, we desperately need to find some hammers

I am interested in the spot 2W1S of where the settler is now. If there are more hills or another food resource that would be a nice location that could still work the crabs and the bananas we can farm. The second bananas could be taken by a later cottage city.

This is quite good thinking, as it will use the only 2 usable resources we have.

I think we will have to wait for the save, and do some basic scouting before we can really test and then decide where to settle

Archer to move SW
Scout to go 2 x NW
Worker to move 1 tile NW (and still have 1 mp left)

edit: this is what it would look like, but with the addition of 3 gems. Those jungles to the east are not there, as they mark the edge of the map
Spoiler :

edit2: an alternative is to move west or north, and leave a 2 banana/clam spot for a future GP Farm.

Actually - Looking at the screenshot again, we can see most of the tiles that would be in the BFC 2W1S: it might gain us 2 more hills (1S and maybe 2W of that location and off the screen), and an extra water tile. It's probably worth moving if the tile to the far west is indeed a hill.

I like Math first. It opens up Currency to fund our expansion, and Calendar to improve the bananas, and improves our chops. The Rathaus is nice, but if we went for CoL first, our maintenance will not be so big an issue as to justify prioritizing them.

edit: x-post with neilmeister

edit2: an alternative is to move west or north, and leave a 2 banana/clam spot for a future GP Farm.

Yes - I wonder about moving 2N. It keeps the fresh water and the farmable bananas + maybe there is something interesting up there.

Updated the second-fourth posts with reference, rules, and such. I put everything in spoilers so that Trystero's roster in the second-fourth posts would be more visible.

What will our roster order be? I'm happy to volunteer to go first again :)

Updated the second-fourth posts with reference, rules, and such. I put everything in spoilers so that Trystero's roster in the second-fourth posts would be more visible.

What will our roster order be? I'm happy to volunteer to go first again :)

Anxious to get started, eh Chris? :)

My proposed roster order is our check in order after the housekeeping posts with Chris bumped up to his usual starting position:

Proposed roster/play order:

• ChrisShaffer
  • neilmeister
  • Trystero
  • Revent
  • Deckhand
  • SteelHorse
  • Benginal

I'd like to propose that we explore aggressively and follow the strategy outlined in Tachywaxon's Slave Economy article: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=470157 (unless we're isolated of course, but the map maker wouldn't be that mean, would he?)

Regarding exploring: I was looking at the various flat map permutations helpfully summarized here. I am guessing we may be on an edited Inland Sea or Lakes map (edit: or maybe Team Battleground?). Specifically, I am trying to assess whether the GLH would be worth pursuing (i.e. how many coastal sites will be available to us on a flat map).

I suggest at least one of our scouting units start by following the coast westward, to both quickly find neighbors (remember we can instantly get OB to pass through their territory) and get some idea of what the map is like so we can make decisions on settling and the GLH.

Flat map possibilities are Fractal, Inland Sea, Arboria, Boreal, Rainforest, Islands, Donut, Team Battleground, Mirror, Hub, Ring, and Wheel.

Will we know which we have when we open the save, or can that be hidden from us?

Top Bottom