[BTS] Shadow Game Time!! Immortal Game To Further up my Game!

3E of Bibs seems a good call here...good share city on river and leaves clams open for another city later....that'd prolly be my first choice depending on where resources pop up

Spoiler Turn 20 :

Met our 2nd AI on turn 19:
20230106173205_1.jpg

Turn 20 farm is done and currently teching BW. What to do with worker?
20230106173330_1.jpg

Farm pigs for 4 food and mine PH? Grow into those tiles and build 1st settler?

I think I'd farm pig, farm fp, which should time well with chopping next. I think with these tiles it's best to get the first settler out via whip size 6.

Reactions: CGQ
@Peteyboy like coanda explained, you need to select/de-select techs up to T5 (judging from the screenshots, @CGQ didn't do this, so meeting someone pre-T5 wouldn't have gained anything), to get all those banked :science: released to a tech on T5. Or well, between T5 and T6 to be exact. You gain +1:science: per 24:science: generated per AI met. i.e. meeting two AI's on T5 who have agri while you've banked 5*11=55 :science: would give you a bonus of 4:science:.

I think I'd farm pig, farm fp, which should time well with chopping next. I think with these tiles it's best to get the first settler out via whip size 6.

Spoiler Turn 37 :

Grew to size 6, farmed pig and FP and whipped settler. Overflow and chop go into 2nd worker:
20230106181013_1.jpg

1st city settled on Turn 37:
20230106181051_1.jpg

2nd worker comes out next turn. Should I chop 2nd settler while waiting on AH?

You are playing very quickly. AH vs wheel-pottery was a big decision, but ok. Have you planned 3rd/4th cities?

Yes, now you should mostly chop settlers/workers and deal with barbs. Get that warrior out from capital. Give Vienne a food tile.

edit: I investigated a bit on the decision of when to start a settler. I think it's close between size 2, size 3 and size 6 to whip. I think now I'd recommend size 2, but no big deal.

I think with AH you should be going for the sheep as 3rd. 1SW? Long-term I think clearly best would be 2S1W, but then it takes 15T (grow to 2, whip monu) to get corn+sheep.

edit: the more I think about it the weaker AH feels. It's so much better to get cottages and granaries up asap!! i.e. I'd have gone wheel-pottery and settle 3rd 2S1W of sheep.

Last edited:
I think with AH you should be going for the sheep as 3rd. 1SW? Long-term I think clearly best would be 2S1W, but then it takes 15T (grow to 2, whip monu) to get corn+sheep.

edit: the more I think about it the weaker AH feels. It's so much better to get cottages and granaries up asap!! i.e. I'd have gone wheel-pottery and settle 3rd 2S1W of sheep.

Spoiler Turn 39 :

Decided to reload a few turns back before I get a speeding ticket :D
Went back and researched TW>Pottery instead.
20230106222222_1.jpg

Should I chop settler here? Do I build another one in Vienne or more barb defense?

Attachments

• Carlos The Immortal Shadow III BC-2440.CivBeyondSwordSave
    86.3 KB · Views: 11
I would 1-pop whip (with a chop) a worker in Vienne. I'd grow Bibracte building warriors (or barracks) and 2-pop (with one chop) or 3-pop whip settlers. I wouldn't stagnate with such strong :food:-tiles and extra :) from CHA.

I think you've scouted easily enough (too much for my taste tbh) and should be covering areas already (like your next city spot).

edit: the reason why I think scouting is unnecessary here is that you've already discovered strong sites by the river. You don't need to find off-river food NOW, you can do that later. Securing the surrounding area is very important.

Last edited:
I would 1-pop whip (with a chop) a worker in Vienne. I'd grow Bibracte building warriors (or barracks) and 2-pop (with one chop) or 3-pop whip settlers. I wouldn't stagnate with such strong :food:-tiles and extra :) from CHA.

I think you've scouted easily enough (too much for my taste tbh) and should be covering areas already (like your next city spot).

edit: the reason why I think scouting is unnecessary here is that you've already discovered strong sites by the river. You don't need to find off-river food NOW, you can do that later. Securing the surrounding area is very important.

Spoiler Turn 47 :

Grew cap to size 4 and chopped + 2 pop whipped 2nd settler:
20230106225417_1.jpg

Kicked some barb butt with my AGG warrior!
20230106225415_1.jpg

Turn 45; 2nd settler will settle 2S1W of sheep as suggested:
20230106225603_1.jpg

Tolosa is settled and worker will chop monument for corn (and sheep after AH). Meanwhile cap is growing to size 4 before chopping another settler. What do I do with new worker? Chop more trees?
20230106225839_1.jpg

Hatchy's borders are to the south below:
20230106231132_1.jpg

Also should Tolosa be working the corn to grow or should I leave it for the capital to grow for now?

Attachments

• 20230106225417_1.jpg
    20230106225417_1.jpg
    820.2 KB · Views: 26
Tolosa should definitely take corn to get that necessary monument in asap. Capital has plenty of good tiles, Tolosa has none for the next 15T.

You are behind in chopping compared to my T47 (my cap has 2 forest left). You are 2T away from pottery so you should get ready to cottage and get granaries. You need more workers. My 4th was 1SW of clam to share corn and a fp. There are other strong sites as well.

Overall you are doing very well, the map is very rich after the jackpot you hit with your initial settler/scout moves.

Don't play too fast, ask if you need to. In my game city count T75 was 7-3-3, so don't stop expanding since you will soon be working a lot of cottages and there are plenty of strong :food:-tiles around.

Tolosa should definitely take corn to get that necessary monument in asap. Capital has plenty of good tiles, Tolosa has none for the next 15T.

You are behind in chopping compared to my T47 (my cap has 2 forest left). You are 2T away from pottery so you should get ready to cottage and get granaries. You need more workers. My 4th was 1SW of clam to share corn and a fp. There are other strong sites as well.

Overall you are doing very well, the map is very rich after the jackpot you hit with your initial settler/scout moves.

Don't play too fast, ask if you need to. In my game city count T75 was 7-3-3, so don't stop expanding since you will soon be working a lot of cottages and there are plenty of strong :food:-tiles around.

Spoiler Turn 50 :

Went back and tried to catch up on chopping. Got down to 3 forests on capital. Don't know how you did it lol
20230107113521_1.jpg

Turn 49 monument and pottery is about to come in:
20230107122605_1.jpg

Now what?
20230107122659_1.jpg

What do I do now? I always get confused with chopping/growing since if I build warriors to grow cap while chopping then chops go into warrior when I want it to go to settler. If I put it into settler it stops cap growth but I shouldn't stagnate? That's where I have confusion.:confused:

Side note: You can put chop into Settler for 1 turn and put warrior back in production for turns between chops while growing. There is decay to consider - unit can be taken out of production for 10 turns for nomal speed.

Side note: You can put chop into Settler for 1 turn and put warrior back in production for turns between chops while growing. There is decay to consider - unit can be taken out of production for 10 turns for nomal speed.
That’s what I usually do I’m just not sure if that’s a good strategy haha

Looks very good. That's the way T50 saves should in general look like - strong connected cities working improved tiles. Certainly give corn back to Tolosa though, no point in working 2:food:1:hammers: when capital has unimproved fps to work (they are good tiles even unimproved).
Went back and tried to catch up on chopping. Got down to 3 forests on capital. Don't know how you did it lol
Hmm, it's probably due to whip 1st settler vs slow-build at 2. You won :hammers: towards warriors but lost some worker turns. I even lost the scout to a wolf at 0.1% odds so your safety is much much better than mine at this point.
What do I do now? I always get confused with chopping/growing since if I build warriors to grow cap while chopping then chops go into warrior when I want it to go to settler. If I put it into settler it stops cap growth but I shouldn't stagnate? That's where I have confusion.:confused:
Where are you settling 4th? I'd suggest 1SW of the closer clam, just to share corn+fp. Clam is a nice tile later.

In general, stagnate the minimal possible number of turns. So yes, switch to settler/worker when the chops come in.

edit: warrior spots could be improved. You can fog bust the west with 2 (1NW corn, 1E pig), do it asap and I guess move 3rd south or to capital, you'll need military police soon.

Warrior movement in the east is outrageous to me. Why are you moving blindly to open terrain? You are gaining nothing, risking much. Never ever do that again. You even have a scout there that could do that safely!

Last edited:
Looks very good. That's the way T50 saves should in general look like - strong connected cities working improved tiles. Certainly give corn back to Tolosa though, no point in working 2:food:1:hammers: when capital has unimproved fps to work (they are good tiles even unimproved).

Hmm, it's probably due to whip 1st settler vs slow-build at 2. You won :hammers: towards warriors but lost some worker turns. I even lost the scout to a wolf at 0.1% odds so your safety is much much better than mine at this point.

Where are you settling 4th? I'd suggest 1SW of the closer clam, just to share corn+fp. Clam is a nice tile later.

In general, stagnate the minimal possible number of turns. So yes, switch to settler/worker when the chops come in.

edit: warrior spots could be improved. You can fog bust the west with 2 (1NW corn, 1E pig), do it asap and I guess move 3rd south or to capital, you'll need military police soon.

Warrior movement in the east is outrageous to me. Why are you moving blindly to open terrain? You are gaining nothing, risking much. Never ever do that again. You even have a scout there that could do that safely!

Spoiler Turn 55 :

Turn 50 pottery comes in:
20230107200322_1.jpg

Fixed my fog-busting:
20230107200522_1.jpg

3rd settler on their way to 1SW of clam. Workers finished first cottages. Should I whip granary in Tolosa? (If I do it can grow on that cottage 1E of corn while cap works corn.)
20230107201125_1.jpg

Attachments

• 20230107201125_1.jpg
    20230107201125_1.jpg
    843.6 KB · Views: 16
  • 20230107201120_1.jpg
    20230107201120_1.jpg
    818.5 KB · Views: 17
  • Carlos The Immortal Shadow III BC-1800.CivBeyondSwordSave
    98.9 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
Oh absolutely whip granary asap. Completing it wins 6:food:/turn which is insane. I'd stop failing stonehenge, you need granaries, military police and probably more workers. Workers should chop or cottage, roading to 4th city is of little value (only +1:commerce:). Take note when Tolosa pops borders and try to have worker(s) immediately there to improve sheep. Then perhaps capital can re-claim the food.

edit: In general, plains hill mines are weak but I think you should build one that is shared by capital, Tolosa and 4th. This is because you've whipped a ton and need to build granaries, warriors, monuments. Floodplains cottages and chopping are more urgent of course.

I don't think the southern warrior does much, I'd get it back to military police duty. Mountain fog busts nicely and you can see in advance if archers start to wander towards your capital (which is not a huge deal anyway since there is nothing to pillage from that direction).

Last edited:
Oh absolutely whip granary asap. Completing it wins 6:food:/turn which is insane. I'd stop failing stonehenge, you need granaries, military police and probably more workers. Workers should chop or cottage, roading to 4th city is of little value (only +1:commerce:). Take note when Tolosa pops borders and try to have worker(s) immediately there to improve sheep. Then perhaps capital can re-claim the food.

edit: In general, plains hill mines are weak but I think you should build one that is shared by capital, Tolosa and 4th. This is because you've whipped a ton and need to build granaries, warriors, monuments. Floodplains cottages and chopping are more urgent of course.

I don't think the southern warrior does much, I'd get it back to military police duty. Mountain fog busts nicely and you can see in advance if archers start to wander towards your capital (which is not a huge deal anyway since there is nothing to pillage from that direction).

Spoiler Turn 60 :

Turn 56 I actually got 19 fail-gold because Hatchy built the Stonehenge. Go figure lol
20230107213104_1.jpg

Turn 57: 4th city settled
20230107213321_1.jpg

Worker will get one-pop whipped/chopped in Tolosa. Chops go into 4th settler in capital. Will 2-pop whip granary in Vienne. Worker by cap will go to pigs for AH:
20230107213453_1.jpg

Turn 59: AH about to come in. Worker is on pigs ready to pasture them. We also have our first barb warrior attempting to enter our borders. We will corner him and make him regret this decision :)
20230107213729_1.jpg

Turn 60: AH is in, we have horses, but it's further to the south. Barb warrior stood no chance against my AGG warrior and got pulverized. Granary whipped in Vienne. Monument chopped in Gergovia while workers near Tolosa will go to sheep and rice in 2 turns:
20230107214013_1.jpg

I'm teching fishing so I can whip workboat in Gergovia. Is that good or should I go Writing instead?

Attachments

• 20230107213729_1.jpg
    20230107213729_1.jpg
    762.6 KB · Views: 15
Minor tweak to fogbusting: each warrior in the northwest moves north 1 space, remove the hole that can spawn barbs at the northern tip of the continent.

Minor tweak to fogbusting: each warrior in the northwest moves north 1 space, remove the hole that can spawn barbs at the northern tip of the continent.
Only the northern one needs to move 1NE (1N leaves 1N2W of sheep open. City borders do NOT fog bust!). These are the spots I indicated before, no idea why CGQ moved.

Tolosa should definitely not be slow building a worker. What is the purpose of the granary if you stagnate?? Do not stagnate after you have a granary, unless being max size, working max amount of cottages to cool off whip anger. Always aim to fluctuate in size as much as you can (=whip) to get value from granary!

Gergovia should've immediately taken corn to grow. You don't seem to fully grasp the point of sharing :food:tiles, since you constantly work weak tiles in new cities. You are sharing the floodplains to work them all the time, even unimproved! 3:food:1:commerce: is a lot better than 2:food:1:hammers:. Gergovia should start with a granary, it's a much better building than CHA monument. You don't seem to fully grasp the value of the granary. It effectively doubles food, it's insanely strong! A monument is useful only to raise your :)-cap by one, and you are not even close to the :)-cap.

I hope you are not seriously working a 2:hammers:1:commerce:-tile.

I think fishing is better than writing, perhaps also sailing before writing, perhaps even monarchy before writing. Btw it seems like you haven't directed :espionage:. I'd put them on Hannibal, since likely you'll kill Hatty first.

Top Bottom