Single Player bugs and crashes v35 download - After the 18th of August 2014

I downloaded the rar file from the download site, moved it to the mod folder, and directly extracted it, overwriting everything in the previous version. This is my install path...

c/program files(x86)/firaxis games/Sid Meier's Civilization 4/Beyond the Sword/mods

Does that install path look correct?

I downloaded the rar file from the download site, moved it to the mod folder, and directly extracted it, overwriting everything in the previous version. This is my install path...

c/program files(x86)/firaxis games/Sid Meier's Civilization 4/Beyond the Sword/mods

Does that install path look correct?

Do not overwrite the old installation, always start with a clean directory.

Hello Caveman2Cosmos people,

I would like some advice on how to stop my game from CTD'ing every time I try to start a new seed. I have absolutely no idea what's causing it and I don't think I have missed out on anything during the download / installation process. If you could help me out in any way then I'd be grateful as your mod looks amazing and I really want to give it a good playthrough once the game works properly.

Thank you for reading,

~ Vhal

EDIT: To be more specific, it CTD's as soon as it tries to load the game itself, I can pick a civ, map generator and all that but the moment it tries to load the map, it crashes.

Hello Caveman2Cosmos people,

I would like some advice on how to stop my game from CTD'ing every time I try to start a new seed. I have absolutely no idea what's causing it and I don't think I have missed out on anything during the download / installation process. If you could help me out in any way then I'd be grateful as your mod looks amazing and I really want to give it a good playthrough once the game works properly.

Thank you for reading,

~ Vhal

EDIT: To be more specific, it CTD's as soon as it tries to load the game itself, I can pick a civ, map generator and all that but the moment it tries to load the map, it crashes.

If it CTD's there is a minidump in (see attached) pls do what post # 1 asks thx. Cause we really doubt the game itself crashes?? More than likely, how you have it setup or your PC stats.

All right, I was hoping it was some kind of well-known issue but I will follow those steps as soon as possible and reply to you when I'm ready!

A bit over 4% in:

The 'Pedia mentions Static Leaderheads and No Building Graphics modules, but I can't find an Unloaded Modules folder.
The "Myth of" buildings in the 'Pedia: under Strategy it says the science obsoletes with Writing, but under Special Abilities it says -1:science: with Literature.
I have "Save Field of View" checked in the BUG options. It doesn't work.
The Agricultural trait lists some bonuses twice.
Upgrades (e.g., Captive Neanderthal to Gatherer) ought to list the cost.
Babirusas & Malayan Tapirs have graphics problems (triangles to random points).
Sometimes units under a storm are completely invisible, even the health bar.
Buffalo Jump's obsoleting technology precedes its enabling tech.
TXT_KEY_BUILDING_RATITE_HERD_STRATEGY
Happiness goes up so much faster than growth in the early game that the 3 :mad: per city over-limit penalty for Anarchism and Chiefdom seems irrelevant.

Here are my Minidumps:

https://db.tt/ZonMgEfx
https://db.tt/feoAKedn

I hope it's not my setup...

EDIT: After examining my PC some I think I need to allocate more RAM to Caveman2Cosmos, but I'm not sure how much exactly. My DXDIAG tells me I have a little more then 3GB RAM available, will that be enough?

I can confirm that there is a problem with some tiles producing way too much food. There are 5 tiles that produce over 50 food each on my map. technology also comes way too fast compared to the speed of which you can build buildings and units. Along with the graphical glitches I'm pretty much ready to rule v35 as unplayable. Certainly the loading times and such have been decreased and there has been progress, but I fear this version is unstable and was released too early. It works out favorable for me as I can get an easy win out of this, but it wouldn't feel like a victory to me since the win comes from an unbalanced game. I'd like to see the balance issues worked out before more features are added and a release of v36 by the end of the year, if that is possible. It seems v33 is still the latest version to be playable even though it takes far more memory to run than my computer can handle.

I can confirm that there is a problem with some tiles producing way too much food. There are 5 tiles that produce over 50 food each on my map. technology also comes way too fast compared to the speed of which you can build buildings and units. Along with the graphical glitches I'm pretty much ready to rule v35 as unplayable. Certainly the loading times and such have been decreased and there has been progress, but I fear this version is unstable and was released too early. It works out favorable for me as I can get an easy win out of this, but it wouldn't feel like a victory to me since the win comes from an unbalanced game. I'd like to see the balance issues worked out before more features are added and a release of v36 by the end of the year, if that is possible. It seems v33 is still the latest version to be playable even though it takes far more memory to run than my computer can handle.

1. the abundant food tiles are connected to a Volcano event and are known.
2. Tech speed and gamespeed are affected by Multiple factors
3. Why is it that almost no one else is chiming in with "stability issues"? V 35 is stable. Just a couple of late animal additions have caused graphical issues with those animals. So for all the rest of us that play C2C I have to disagree with your assessment that v35 is not stable.
4. A new system for reducing expansion was added right before release that is still being tested. So yes it may actually be easier to win. That I agree with. These additions should have waited till after the release IMHO.

JosEPh

3. Why is it that almost no one else is chiming in with "stability issues"? V 35 is stable. Just a couple of late animal additions have caused graphical issues with those animals. So for all the rest of us that play C2C I have to disagree with your assessment that v35 is not stable.

Load up my save file and find out. It's on page 1. I posted the logs on page 2, I didn't know earlier which logs were required. You'll get a consistent CTD if you end the turn after loading the save. Why hasn't a modder tried it out yet? It's still at 0 downloads.

I think Alberts and I have both been hoping the other would get on those. I do plan to wait to work on anything in the code (aside from my current efforts to evaluate Naval AIs) until Alberts has included his latest adjustments at least.

EDIT: After examining my PC some I think I need to allocate more RAM to Caveman2Cosmos, but I'm not sure how much exactly. My DXDIAG tells me I have a little more then 3GB RAM available, will that be enough?

depends if you have XP or Win7/64
As Civ4 is a XP program it cannot address above 2.96 GB, if you use the XP 3GB switch.
Also the workable Grafic memory is limited to 2GB
If you have a grafic system that does use shared memory you need overall 4GB RAM

If you use a 64bit system, you don't neet the switch, as Win manages it, but the limit of 2.97 GB is nevertheless.

Sample: I habe Win7/64 with 16GB RAM and 4GB dedictaed VRam on Grafic board.
When I start Win, the system uses ~1.9 GB, after load C2C (main screen, before load a sav file), system uses 2.1 GB Ram, and after the sav of my current game is load the system uses 3.9 GB. The memory allocation failure comes, if the memory in use comes to ~ 4.8GB

Different ist is, if I open the world builder. Then it gets the memory allocation error before that border, as it does not empty the grafic ram well.

Also, a grafic memory allocation error may be before the 3GB border, if the grafic settings of C2C are too high (animations, etc.) and to much stored in grafic memory w/o empty it correctly. This is a Civ4 bug.

Doing a sav each turn, exit and restart game may help in such cases.

Overall, the C2C v35 seems to work correctly (but the critical points I not yet reached in my game, so it is not yet a final word. I'm currently at "half automatic weapons". Magnet railroad and later will give a boost in vram usage, and when the world terraforming comes.

As good I noticed, that the AI factions do grow a lot slower and don't have hundrets of units in their cities as before where I had AI cites with more than 150 units in it.

Edit:
if there is a CTD the question also is, what is if you go one or two turns back and make some different.
Some CTDs seem to be cause just only if special things come together in same turn. I remember, in ROM I had a CTD just when a special great wonder and a special research meet together. I stopped the research for one turn, it comes no CTD and the game continued fine.

Edit 2
Bug or feature ?

see attached image. Ethanol Company is the only for that I habe in building screen the option to build it. All other Companies I can send out their managers and get the cites listed in companies, but cannot build it. Establish works fine, but w/o to build it. Except the Ethanol.

Edit 3
Paddle Steamer upgrade bug (?)
I have 3 Paddle Steamers only which I can upgrade to Transport, but all other Paddle Steamers I can't upgrade. Also I cannot build a Transport but Paddle Steamers only.
--
one turn later I can upgrade all Paddle Steamers and also build new Transporters

Edit 4
Command Bunker - Fort what minimum distance between and what new requirements?
Before I could set forts and bunkers, both minimum distance 2 empty fields between, while a bunker could be set direct beside a fort and reversed.
So BFxBFxBF was possible

Now I no longer can set forts when I can build bunkers, but the minimum distance also is changed? I have two bunkers with 4 free fields to next bunker or city and one with 5 free fields, but cannot build another bunker or fort.
It is confusing as by this I can't plan a "Maginot Line" well.
What are exact the requirements now or is this a bug?

Edit 5
this is a bug: get window that two cities of an AI faction had revolution and if they can come back or not. If not, then they will create a new faction.
I say NO, but nothing happens. The cities get back to the former AI, same as if I say YES

A bit over 4% in:

The 'Pedia mentions Static Leaderheads and No Building Graphics modules, but I can't find an Unloaded Modules folder.
The options for having the non static leaders heads has been removed to keep the download small. The No Building Graphics is now an option set in one of the XML files.

Someone needs to update the pedia.

The "Myth of" buildings in the 'Pedia: under Strategy it says the science obsoletes with Writing, but under Special Abilities it says -1:science: with Literature.

The Myth buildings have been changed a lot in the last release. The Strategy text is hard coded and will need to be changed the values under the Special Abilities is correct although the actual values are not always consistent.

With all BUG settings yo have to
1) set them
2) do noting else but save
3) do nothing else but save again​
to get them to be saved. We don't know why.
The Agricultural trait lists some bonuses twice.
We missed this one as I remember reporting it about a month ago myself.
Upgrades (e.g., Captive Neanderthal to Gatherer) ought to list the cost.
Yes it should, I have mentioned a number of times that it is not working but only get the response back that the code is correct. Something is wrong but it is not the code so it must be our eyesight:mischief:. We will track it down It may be that the code expects the cost in the mission or outcome where I have it in the XML action outcome.
Babirusas & Malayan Tapirs have graphics problems (triangles to random points).
These are being worked on. When we have enough things fixed we will put a patch out, especially with these as they can cause CTDs.
Do you have animations on? It is no longer recommended that you play with storms on as they slow down game turn processing. The more ships/wild sea animals there are the slower the turns.
This must be very new as my last game I built it fine.
TXT_KEY_BUILDING_RATITE_HERD_STRATEGY
Gurr - I thought I had caught all these.
Happiness goes up so much faster than growth in the early game that the 3 :mad: per city over-limit penalty for Anarchism and Chiefdom seems irrelevant.
Depends on play style speed and difficulty. For some it is to high. For my game play style it is a small problem which is just about right.

Edit 4
Command Bunker - Fort what minimum distance between and what new requirements?
Before I could set forts and bunkers, both minimum distance 2 empty fields between, while a bunker could be set direct beside a fort and reversed.
So BFxBFxBF was possible

Now I no longer can set forts when I can build bunkers, but the minimum distance also is changed? I have two bunkers with 4 free fields to next bunker or city and one with 5 free fields, but cannot build another bunker or fort.
It is confusing as by this I can't plan a "Maginot Line" well.
What are exact the requirements now or is this a bug?
Bunkers are now upgrades of forts. This means that you can't build older ones when you get new ones. This was part of the Supper Fort. Forts, bunkers, and command bunkers all have a 2 plot spacing requirement when placing. Each also have a zone of control around them.

You are the only one who seems to be using them for a "Maginot Line", I have not needed to in my last game. The AI does know how to use them to block choke points and grab resources. If you have any suggestions on how to improve things I then "go for it" after all this is still a very new feature.

You are the only one who seems to be using them for a "Maginot Line", I have not needed to in my last game. The AI does know how to use them to block choke points and grab resources. If you have any suggestions on how to improve things I then "go for it" after all this is still a very new feature.

I like to build a Maginot Line in Sahare (i.e.) from Atlantic to Nil.
As a fort had a control area of 1 field around, so I could stop expanding the AI factions being south of Sahara in Africa and block those being north.
(I play with the option that a city always keep 1 field around)

For me the main use of forts/bunkers is to stop expanding of AI factions and keep a wide area free for my own later expanding. Set a fort on a resource makes no sense in fact, it becomes too easy a boumerang if the opposite AI gets it (and reversed)

But currently I don't see that a fort will get an upgrade, same with towers: in early game I could build wooden towers and stone towers, now I cannot build any tower and the old stone towers seems not to be upgradeable. (The wooden towers I replaced later to camps, so I can't say if it is the same with it.

Suggestion: make a stone tower upgradeable to a fort. And by that creating of a Maginot Line if you start with Fort ... Tower ... Fort ... Tower and can upgrade them later

Also: AI likes to build a city direct beside a fort. By that it gets a Fort next to City. This is stupid, as it gives the attacker a fine way to attack the city later, as he can take over the fort easy.
But this is a way to get a channel for ships on land: sea-city-fort-sea (i.e. Panama Channel or Suez Channel)

Maybe you can create a special building designed for channels only, quasi the opposite version to a tunnel.

Internet Exploder + CivFanatics ate both my first try and the <Ctrl+C> copy in memory, so... retyping/recopying what I can remember.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lark

With all BUG settings yo have to
1) set them
2) do noting else but save
3) do nothing else but save again
to get them to be saved. We don't know why.

Other options were properly changed the next time I started the game; FOV wasn't.
I think part of the problem is that the FOV Bar is disconnected. Scrolling the mouse wheel changes the FOV (only for that game session); clicking or scrolling the FOV Bar only changes the Bar.

Quote:

Do you have animations on? It is no longer recommended that you play with storms on as they slow down game turn processing. The more ships/wild sea animals there are the slower the turns.

Frozen Animations is off. Would turning it on help?
I would like not to have storms, but Custom Game options does not list storms as optional in v35.

Quote:

This must be very new as my last game I built it fine.

:p I built it just fine, too. That said, the building just below it in the F10 screen is Bug Catcher. Both the mouseover and the building list say Bug Catcher is producing +1:food:, while with Buffalo Jump only the mouseover says +5:food:.

One more minor bug at 5+% in:
Occasionally one of my two larger cities will give the Event Log a long list of resource-based buildings (e.g., Mouflon Hunters Camp) that have stopped working. Either the next turn I get the same list saying they've come back or I reload, get a new seed, and whatever is causing this fails to happen.

I like to build a Maginot Line in Sahare (i.e.) from Atlantic to Nil.
As a fort had a control area of 1 field around, so I could stop expanding the AI factions being south of Sahara in Africa and block those being north.
(I play with the option that a city always keep 1 field around)

For me the main use of forts/bunkers is to stop expanding of AI factions and keep a wide area free for my own later expanding. Set a fort on a resource makes no sense in fact, it becomes too easy a boumerang if the opposite AI gets it (and reversed)

But currently I don't see that a fort will get an upgrade, same with towers: in early game I could build wooden towers and stone towers, now I cannot build any tower and the old stone towers seems not to be upgradeable. (The wooden towers I replaced later to camps, so I can't say if it is the same with it.

Suggestion: make a stone tower upgradeable to a fort. And by that creating of a Maginot Line if you start with Fort ... Tower ... Fort ... Tower and can upgrade them later

Also: AI likes to build a city direct beside a fort. By that it gets a Fort next to City. This is stupid, as it gives the attacker a fine way to attack the city later, as he can take over the fort easy.
But this is a way to get a channel for ships on land: sea-city-fort-sea (i.e. Panama Channel or Suez Channel)

Maybe you can create a special building designed for channels only, quasi the opposite version to a tunnel.

Only two things have changed with forts
1) they upgrade to bunkers at the correct tech if occupied
2) they are a small source of culture which means oddly enough that they can now flip by culture.​

Stone towers have been removed because they were not working - they were not forts so they were losing their culture and sometimes you could never get any culture back on the plot.

Yes we have lost the ability to have a "Panama Canal".

Other options were properly changed the next time I started the game; FOV wasn't.
I think part of the problem is that the FOV Bar is disconnected. Scrolling the mouse wheel changes the FOV (only for that game session); clicking or scrolling the FOV Bar only changes the Bar.

I have it perminantly off as it annoys me more than I find it useful but save save after you change it is still supposed to save the result.

Frozen Animations is off. Would turning it on help?
I would like not to have storms, but Custom Game options does not list storms as optional in v35.

No.

The No Storms options is now in the BUG Options not the Custom Options

One more minor bug at 5+% in:
Occasionally one of my two larger cities will give the Event Log a long list of resource-based buildings (e.g., Mouflon Hunters Camp) that have stopped working. Either the next turn I get the same list saying they've come back or I reload, get a new seed, and whatever is causing this fails to happen.

It thinks you have lost access to some resource I expect. We would probably need a save that demonstrates the problem to have any chance of fixing it.

version 35 (dont remember exact version - it is 3 days ago or so SVN)

Cannot build Culture (Clockpunk)

I have researched tech, have mountain mine with sulphur in adjacent tile and paved road connecting it to city.

Also - about viewports not being needed anymore - i have built new comp 3 months ago - Intel 4770K, 16 Gb RAM, Nvidia 770, - i play on gigantic maps, but in late medieval/early reneissance (when most of map becomes open) - i get MAFs every few turns, even with low graphic option on and even with modmod with same graphic for all civs. Graphic paging is turned on in BUG. No idea what am i doing wrong.

version 35 (dont remember exact version - it is 3 days ago or so SVN)

Cannot build Culture (Clockpunk)

I have researched tech, have mountain mine with sulphur in adjacent tile and paved road connecting it to city.

Also - about viewports not being needed anymore - i have built new comp 3 months ago - Intel 4770K, 16 Gb RAM, Nvidia 770, - i play on gigantic maps, but in late medieval/early renaissance (when most of map becomes open) - i get MAFs every few turns, even with low graphic option on and even with modmod with same graphic for all civs. Graphic paging is turned on in BUG. No idea what am i doing wrong.

If person plays more than 10 civs, i believe that is it on Huge maps and above, btw which mapscript are you playing on?

Only two things have changed with forts

1) they upgrade to bunkers at the correct tech if occupied
2) they are a small source of culture which means oddly enough that they can now flip by culture.

Stone towers have been removed because they were not working - they were not forts so they were losing their culture and sometimes you could never get any culture back on the plot.

Yes we have lost the ability to have a "Panama Canal".
Why didn't we setup an early fort that actually counts as a city?

Also... all we need is the graphics... the tag for a canal improvement is in place you know.

Top Bottom