Single Player bugs and crashes v36 plus (SVN) - After the 24th of October 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’ve been noticing prehistoric neanderthal cities showing up on the map with modern buildings.
You mean graphically modern right? I've been wondering why that's happening. Might have something to do with their 'dummy' tech. Will have to try to figure out how to address that at some point.

A few notes for myself to debug later:

I've noticed, too, that there are buildups for Fight or Flight only that are showing up in this game and of course we aren't using Fight or Flight. I should probably correct that on the core mod since I don't think I've ever been told that was an issue.

I'm also going to have to eventually create a tag that denies the buildup from being used by units that don't get defensive bonuses.
To add to the first point, looking at the xml, the promotionline for the offending 'Chase Plans' bulidup actually does show that it's supposed to only be qualified on Fight or Flight so I need to test to ensure that the code is working to filter it properly.

I've added the ongameoption prerequisite for the individual promotions on Chase Plans and I've adjusted Fortify so that Ruffians can get it but the stuff that needs coding shall wait to ensure I don't bug something up just before release.

If your system works, then it works. I just have a single caveman2cosmos folder that IS my repository, located in my mods folder. If I update, I need not copy over anything.
But what about your UserSettings folder? Doesn't everything get overwritten?

But what about your UserSettings folder? Doesn't everything get overwritten?
No. The SVN leaves your UserSettings folder alone when you update. In fact, it will almost never try to overwrite anything you've changed - will try to merge (and it's a pretty smart merge mechanic) and will let you know if there is a conflict.

You mean graphically modern right? I've been wondering why that's happening. Might have something to do with their 'dummy' tech. Will have to try to figure out how to address that at some point.
Yes sorry. Just the on map graphics for the city. Once the cites captured it turns normal.

Yes sorry. Just the on map graphics for the city. Once the cites captured it turns normal.
I'll have to look at the Neanderthal Dummy tech to see if there's a way to make it work without it being set to future era, or maybe future era needs to be set to trigger prehistoric buildings or something along those lines.

@The rest of the team: I'm reluctant to put any effort into this because I suspect someone out there would know how to resolve this properly or would at least know if there would be a problem by declaring the tech to be in the Prehistoric era, even if you cannot research it ever. Any advice on this issue?

I am on SVN Version 9394 and I am not sure if this is a bug or WAD but i seem to be getting an inordinate amount of Earthquake events (like every 10 turns) that destroy a few improvements each time and I haven't got out of the Pre-historic phase. Do they quieten down later at all ?

Cheers
Colonelflag

I am on SVN Version 9394 and I am not sure if this is a bug or WAD but i seem to be getting an inordinate amount of Earthquake events (like every 10 turns) that destroy a few improvements each time and I haven't got out of the Pre-historic phase. Do they quieten down later at all ?

Cheers
Colonelflag
Some games experience an issue with repeating events. It may have something to do with the random generation system underlying everything here but from what we've come to understand, it's largely due to a lack of events that may apply. It's basically that you're getting the check for an event coming up every so often, nothing abnormal, but that event is one of the few (or only) events that can qualify to happen and thus it happens repeatedly. AKA, the only real solution is to add lots more events. Which we've had some folks try to do but events are hard to add and there's still some spots in the game where you can find this problem of broken record events taking place with one type of event or another.

maybe future era needs to be set to trigger prehistoric buildings or something along those lines

What about gateway techs like Sedentary or Classical Lifestyle? And as long as there are no more gateway techs anything from classical on could perhaps require Classical Lifestyle.

What about gateway techs like Sedentary or Classical Lifestyle? And as long as there are no more gateway techs anything from classical on could perhaps require Classical Lifestyle.
The problem is that Neanderthals automatically get a future era tech for free to craft access to some Neanderthal units, and I'm pretty sure that's causing their buildings (and maybe other problems) to look more modern and advanced in their cities. I'm wondering if I can adjust that tech so that it isn't a future era tech (which in itself is a 'dummy' era that no real tech is actually assigned to) without causing a problem somehow, like forcing that it be made researchable or something.

Repeatable crash on end of turn, germany declares war on me and i noticed they have those flying units from clockpunk.

Attachments

• Logs.zip
    516.6 KB · Views: 47
  • ivo AD-2775.CivBeyondSwordSave
    3.2 MB · Views: 58
Repeatable crash on end of turn, germany declares war on me and i noticed they have those flying units from clockpunk.
Ok, then this should be a perfect save to exemplify what I was pretty sure was a repeatable issue with the ornithopter's animation. I'll take a look later to confirm. In the meantime, if you turn on the Quick Combat (offensive) and Quick Combat (defensive) options in the main game option panel, do you continue to get crashes?

Yeah, as I recall that was a tougher nut to crack... I'll take a look at it now and see if there's anything I can do with it but I'm almost certain it's a problem in the animation itself. I'm mostly looking for a way to instruct a player to get around the crash unless it IS something I can really FIX in the code.

It is hard to "catch" this recurrent crash to desktop. Regarding the minidumps I posted earlier, I reloaded an old save from just before the first crash, played from there, recorded my session, and after a bunch of turns the game crashed again. But no obvious things looked wrong in the recording.

So I reloaded the last autosave, did everything the same way, but no crash. I figured that the random number seed in the autosave might play a role, so I continued playing, and every time the game autosaved, I would immediately load that autosave and continue, while recording my session, hoping I would catch a crash. But no crash happened after that.

Eventually I got bored, and started a new game. I played through almost all of the prehistoric era without a single crash.

The crashes remain elusive...

I continue to get crashes with Quick Combat (offensive) and Quick Combat (defensive) on.
Interesting. I have them off and I couldn't get your game to crash on my system at all. You'll have to show me what options you have on by giving me screenshots of nearly all option panels the game provides so I can figure out what you are running that I'm not that is causing a repeatable crash. It may not be the ornithopter at all.

Gave myself a ornithopter via the worldbuilder and selected the recon mission, game crashed on selecting a target location for the mission.

To be at 2775AD, is this an older game? Or one started with v37 and using a late Era start? Either way you are asking for trouble in either case.

IF you started this game with the just released v37 and have been playing games on any SVN version before ~9377 you Need to use the default User Settings folder , Not your old User settings folder, and on the 1st turn Rest All your BUG settings to what you like and Then immediately Double save the game to lock them in. Can not stress how important this is when we have had a save game breaking SVN update. And we did around ~SVN 9377.

JosEPh

@T-brd,

1.Have had 2 so far non repeatable CTDs. And both MiniDumps have been 0kb size.
2. each time after the CTD the game upon restart from previous save want a Re-Calc.
3. and save game files are fast approaching 3Mb in size just 165 turns (~29000BC) into a marathon game. This is equivalent size to pre v37 games at 5800BC (~turn 450 ish).

My play time for today is almost over so when I can get back to it, I'll update this when necessary.

JosEPh

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom