Single Player bugs and crashes v38 plus (SVN) - After the 20th of February 2018

I found an error in CvGameTextMgr.cpp
if (getBugOptionBOOL("CityBar__AirportIcon", true, "BUG_CITYBAR_AIRPORT_ICONS"))

1. CityBar__AirportIcon
2. CityBar__AirportIcons

1. is wrong, 2. is correct.
Remind me of this once I can compile.

The file "MakefilePaths" was changed in rev 10130 by makotech, the last time before that it was changed by Thunderbrd in rev 9986, and only twice before that (8190 by Thunderbrd and 5773 by Koshling).

@Thunderbrd What happens if you replace that file with the 9986 version (the one before the current one)?

@tmv @Thunderbrd

Oh... He changed the toolkit from C:\Vc7 to C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual C++ Toolkit 2003.

Full list of changes:

Changes.png

If you have the animal in your nation but not in the vicinity of any then build a national breeder.
If you don't have it in your nation import it and get the Great Farmer to place it.

Alternately subdue one and get it to place it. This has tech and terrain limits. It is also bugged because it does not take more than a turn unlike workers.

By the time you get to Unlocking Great Farmer the Need for the National Breeder Building for Any Livestock is almost at an end and is there fore not fulfilling it's role. The Great Farmer Fails to address the early need. Especially If you have no chance at Subduing one of the animals You need because It's Not in your territory To Subdue! That's why you Traded for it!!!!

So your whole line of reasoning here is flawed.

Quite frankly it's been Years since the great Farmer had any Real use because of When you can you use it in game. I can't remember how long it's been since I have even built one in game. 4 years? 5 years ago?

By the time you get to Unlocking Great Farmer the Need for the National Breeder Building for Any Livestock is almost at an end and is there fore not fulfilling it's role. The Great Farmer Fails to address the early need. Especially If you have no chance at Subduing one of the animals You need because It's Not in your territory To Subdue! That's why you Traded for it!!!!

So your whole line of reasoning here is flawed.

Quite frankly it's been Years since the great Farmer had any Real use because of When you can you use it in game. I can't remember how long it's been since I have even built one in game. 4 years? 5 years ago?
OK but it means we will need to remove the Tengri religion.

I haven't touched the dll in a while, what happened?
I cant compile. I have a good bead on why with the changes mentioned above but maybe just changing it back is not ideal either. Perhaps you can advise.

Huh? What is the relevancy to horse availability that interacts with tengrii? It enhances riders but did it ever do anything to provide or require horses?

Don't remove it.
Instead you need to simplify your mess.
1. Animal is outside vicinity range - doesn't matter if still within borders or its traded from AI.
2. You can build animal related building, lets say National Breeder - not just for livestock but for all animals, that have map resource.
3. Animal Breeder gives animal, this means you can now safely lose access to animals from trade or you can lose access to tile with it (if animal here wasn't in vicinity).
There would be special autobuild building, that its only prereq would be: Animal Farm (Animal) [Needs animal X in vicinity] OR National X Breeder [If Animal is outside vicinity range, provides animal] OR Herd - X [Subdued animals can place that, provides animal].
It would be named Animal Supply Effect - Animal X, representing that you own those animals.

4. Now you can build Tamed Animal unit and place this animal within vicinity - would need Animal Supply Effect - Animal X.
5. Animal Tamer can place its animal type on map, now you can build Animal Farm somewhere else.
6. Building, that is responsible for training units or other stuff can use Animal Supply Effect - Animal X.

That is 1 - 5: Establishing your own source of animals.
6: Now can use animals

If animal is within vicinity, then you can build animal farm here.
You can build Tamed Animal to place critical animals like horses at cities, that produce military units.

Great Farmer is 50% way to tanks and other animal-less stuff of Modern and later Eras.
Its more useful for corporations, that use plants and animals than for getting animals.
Also its nice way to obtain plants, that you don't have but you are trading with AI, for example securing dye - manufactured resource.
Standard Ethanol in Industrial era can give you MASSIVE BOOST of :hammers:, if you place potatoes or something on every tile with farm.
Even without that you can place :hammers: giving plants and animals,

That is Great Farmer is Mid game - Medieval and can place any plants/animals, that you have (on your territory or importing).
Animal Tamer is Ancient. It can place single animal of its type where applicable.

There are following map resource land animals:
Beaver, Bison, Camel, Cow, Deer, Donkey, Elephants, Guinea Pigs, Horse, Kangaroo, Llama, Mammoth, Parrots, Pig, Poultry, Rabbit, Sea Lion and Seal, Sheep, Walrus.

Most of them should be easily breedable.
I'm not sure about Mammoth, Sea Lion&Seal and Walrus

This way you can avoid FreeBuilding tag bugs.

Essentially Tamed Animal and animal requiring buildings would require Animal Supply Effect - Animal X.
Tamed Animal can place animal of its type if applicable.

That is:
Player researches Equine Domestication.
Notices, that he doesn't have horses in empire, or at least not within vicinity range.
Then he imports them or builds improvement on Horse resource.
Now he can build National Breeder, he chooses most productive city for it, as he can't spread them until Specialization.
Autobuilding named Animal Supply Effect - Horse is built in city with National Breeder.
Now player can build Horse requiring buildings.

If horses were in vicinity, then player would build Horse Farm, and same autobuilding would be created.
Still he can build National Horse Breeder if horses were at new city. Autobuilding gets built in in this and that city.

Subdued animals can place Herd, and they also would create that autobuilding in this city.

Later at Specialization he can build Tamed Horse to spread them at other cities.

Way later at Agriculture Tools (Medieval) he can build Great Farmer so he doesn't have to build 10 types of Tamed Animals units (wasn't Great Farmer limited to one unit at once nationally?)

Autobuilding is here to compress X OR Y OR Z to one thing.
Unless GOM allows for:
(X OR Y OR Z) AND A AND B AND (C OR D) AND (E OR F)

Last edited:
Do it if you like but don't forget to do it for every plant, metal and all the other resources as well.

Trader is currently useless for all raw materials! Fixing it for just one is not the right path to take.

The National Breeders/Smelters are only about trade within your nation and should only be covering the case where the resource is outside all vicinity of cities. It would be even better if we could actually have the number match the number of resources but we can't without using the PythonCallBacks and while Koshling did a lot there to fix the (deliberate?) slowness written into the dll, either I can't figure out how to do 2 or there is a bug that limits it to 1 and it is being used by the Great Farmer.
Why you didn't tell before, that trading raw (map) resources is broken (useless for chains, that start with Vicinity prereq)?
So this bison/horse issue that StrategyOnly/Joseph reported was part of much bigger bug.

You need to make convo with @Toffer90 and @pepper2000 and specify what you want, since apparently this stuff is bit too hard for you.
Toffer can do python related stuff, and Pepper can generate XML stuff with his scripts and make building buttons too.
Yeah Pepper you are going to be farmer and miner for a little not just Elon Musk.

Essentially give supply chain non vicinity -> vicinity conversion.
There would be National X Importer (Existing national smelters and breeders would be renamed), that needs resource anywhere.
There would be Local Supplier - X autobuilding, that would require National Importer OR several types of buildings, that currently provide map resource X.
Since now whole chain depends on Local Supplier too not just on existence of resource you can build resource requiring stuff only where Local Supplier is placed.
Essentially Local Supplier is integrated Vicinity or Not Vicinity prereq.
If something didn't require resource in vicinity, then it wouldn't be affected.

National Importer is input - doesn't provide resources.
Current buildings, that provide map resource X would stop providing it.
Autobuilding named "Local Supplier - X" would provide X instead of its OR prereqs providing resource X.
Buildings in chain, that required Vicinity building OR existing National Breeder/Smelter OR Herd in case of some animals would now require Local Supplier - X.
That is instead of directly requiring resource in vicinity, it would require Local Supplier autobuilding, that acts as vicinity resource due to multiple ways of obtaining resource in vicinity.
That is Local Supplier is point where resource has finally arrived to warehouse - doesn't matter if from other side of ocean (traded) or from other side of lake (vicinity).
Special "manufactured" resources, that are obtained by having two different resources and cultures would be exempt from that.

Unless it is possible to make GOM magic:
(X OR Y OR Z OR rest of buildings, that are related to providing resource) AND A AND B AND (C OR D) AND (E OR F)
First OR group would remove need for local supplier, that is here to replace multiple OR requirements - cant have [A OR B] AND [C OR D] without GOM.

As for units that can place resources:
Tamed Animal can place single type of resource - it animal (Tamed Horse could place Horse resource), but not all map animal resources can be placed by tamed animal.
We could add Great Prospector - random chance of finding mineral type resource
We have generalist - Medieval Great Farmer, that can place all types of Animals and Plants.

Last edited:
couple of things:

1. In the Ren Era now and the colors for the tech screen are the same again whether u have the tech or not again???

2. I dont believe the Field hop is working that well, i have had certain units in the city now for some time and the healing is almost nill??

3. I have been out in the sea for some time now and NO animals??, But then i thought of why and its because of the hide and seek option, but why r sea animals even on the hide and seek to begin with?? pic3/4 with with H/S pic 4 without . .

Attachments

• same color again.JPG
    same color again.JPG
    147.6 KB · Views: 61
  • hodp.JPG
    hodp.JPG
    359.8 KB · Views: 34
  • hide and seek.JPG
    hide and seek.JPG
    199.4 KB · Views: 26
  • animals.JPG
    animals.JPG
    233 KB · Views: 59
couple of things:

1. In the Ren Era now and the colors for the tech screen are the same again whether u have the tech or not again???
Colors aren't same, I can see difference.
I'll make researched tech gray, as difference is too small for you.

It will be same color as Future Tech - tech at end of tech tree, there is only one such tech and you need to research all previous ones except punks, religions and three special ones to research it.

@Dancing Hoskuld I changed line in CvTechChooser.py to this
self.iHasTechBoxColour = [128, 128, 128] # colour of tech box if it has been researched
ctrl+f this commet to find it.

As for hide and seek there are promotions for ships, that help see sea animals.

Last edited:
Huh? What is the relevancy to horse availability that interacts with tengrii? It enhances riders but did it ever do anything to provide or require horses?
In it's infancy Tengrii did (it's relevance to horse availability), but then that part was taken away. Because some players complained that you could spread horse to every city that had Tengrii religion. Which you could. And the AI was getting to Tengrii in most cases before those players could. So DH changed that. And then came the Animal Tamer building.

Tengrii in it's infancy was a Much desired religion by the AI (and players that preferred early mounted units, like me). Getting horse units early meant they were attacking sooner and could roam wider and further. And then the hubbub over early monted units being "too strong" erupted because the avg player failed to realize how effective they could be. Our Early MP game in it's early stages was a prime example of this efficacy of early mounted.

We had a good thing going but caved into "vocal" player pressure on this subject. Something that has happened a lot in C2C's development. Which in turn causes certain issues to come back up time and again, imhpo that is. Don't want to hurt feelings again either by saying this...again.

Do it if you like but don't forget to do it for every plant, metal and all the other resources as well.
Where is the Dislike button?

Sorry DH but this post is just sour grapes on your part. Because it's Not needed on every plant, metal, etc. Only on Livestock type animals and the National Breeder Building. Otherwise Just pain out Remove the Nat. Breeder Building! Especially if Your view over it does not fit it's in game Actual role. Not "supposed" Role, but it's Actual Role evolved in acquiring animals you can only access thru Trade. Otherwise you are being Obtuse. Not trying to hurt your feelings but this is how you are coming across in your replies. Lack of understanding on my part, very well could be, but the way the Game plays Now today, what I'm saying has become the Role for these Nat B Buldgs. Disclaimer:Caps on certain words for needed emphasis, not for shouting.

Where is the Dislike button?

Sorry DH but this post is just sour grapes on your part. Because it's Not needed on every plant, metal, etc. Only on Livestock type animals and the National Breeder Building. Otherwise Just pain out Remove the Nat. Breeder Building! Especially if Your view over it does not fit it's in game Actual role. Not "supposed" Role, but it's Actual Role evolved in acquiring animals you can only access thru Trade. Otherwise you are being Obtuse. Not trying to hurt your feelings but this is how you are coming across in your replies. Lack of understanding on my part, very well could be, but the way the Game plays Now today, what I'm saying has become the Role for these Nat B Buldgs. Disclaimer:Caps on certain words for needed emphasis, not for shouting.
He said in other thread, that trading of natural resources is broken for all raw materials.

Also StrategyOnly said, that he couldn't build Bison Tamers or something despite importing bison - there is no National Breeder for that.

Trader is currently useless for all raw materials! Fixing it for just one is not the right path to take.

The National Breeders/Smelters are only about trade within your nation and should only be covering the case where the resource is outside all vicinity of cities. It would be even better if we could actually have the number match the number of resources but we can't without using the PythonCallBacks and while Koshling did a lot there to fix the (deliberate?) slowness written into the dll, either I can't figure out how to do 2 or there is a bug that limits it to 1 and it is being used by the Great Farmer.
Either we need hundred of National Importers (Needs resource anywhere in empire) and another hundred of Local Suppliers (Needs National Importer OR vicinity buildings, that provide resource), and would be base instead of vicinity buildings (Or use GOM, if [A or B] AND [B or C] requirement is possible with it).
Local Supplier doesn't have to provide resource - either its traded or is somewhere within your empire borders.
That is Local Supplier could be standalone autobuilding or could be GOM type requirement if it allows for multiple sets of OR building requirements.

Or we need stop using "Needs resource in vicinity" as base for supply chains, though cultures and buildings needing two different resources in vicinity could be left as is.
Then you could build Tamed Animal anywhere - it wouldn't depend on vicinity directly or indirectly but just would need resource somewhere.

That is units and buildings would depend only on existence of resource anywhere (Unit/Building -> Building prereq for Unit/building -> A (Needs Vicinity resource) or B (Needs resource anywhere))

I think I found way to require least amount of buildings:
Instead of National Breeder/Smelter or hundred of National Importers building/unit could require National Warehouse or any of resource giving buildings and Bonus (they all would be in one OR GOM group)
There could be several types of it like Minerals/Plants/Animals or one general.

You could build several National Warehouse national wonders - few other national wonders are like this.
Essentially National Warehouse could act as alternative requirement to building, that needs resource in vicinity or Herd in case of animals.
Current smelters and breeders would be readjusted where needed.

There is 80 if not 100 National Resources, so 100 types of National Importer NWs would be too much considering, that there is only 400 National Wonders.

Last edited:
Got this again TXT error: [57871.875] info type 'ATTACHABLE_CHIMNEYSMOKE' not found, Current XML file is: modules\Natural_Wonders\Reef_Shark_CIV4SpawnInfos.xml

also Bros TXT error see pic

Attachments

• Bros.JPG
    Bros.JPG
    348 KB · Views: 67
Got this again TXT error: [57871.875] info type 'ATTACHABLE_CHIMNEYSMOKE' not found, Current XML file is: modules\Natural_Wonders\Reef_Shark_CIV4SpawnInfos.xml

also Bros TXT error see pic
First one is ancient bug and second one is missing text in event.
@Toffer90 can look at those

I'll look after land animals only.
Beaver, Bison, Camel, Cow, Deer, Donkey, Elephants, Guinea Pigs, Horse, Kangaroo, Llama, Mammoth, Parrots, Pig, Poultry, Rabbit, Sea Lion and Seal, Sheep, Walrus.
And make sure, that if you have National Animal Breeder, then you can build Tamed Animal to spread it in empire, if animal is used in vicinity at beginning of chain.
Cultures and combined resource buildings doesn't count in that.

No one reported troubles with importing plants, minerals and sea resources.

@Thunderbrd is possible with GOM to make following building requirement:
(X OR Y OR Z ) AND A AND (B OR C)
This way I wouldn't need autobuildings.

I'll add ability to place animal if Tamed Animal unit of its type already exist.
I also add National Horse/Camel/Elephant breeder as valid building for Tamed Animal.

Last edited:
No one reported troubles with importing plants, minerals and sea resources.
This may be fixed already but I think Murex has a similar problem in that you can't make dye with it if it's imported...

Top Bottom