Single Player bugs and crashes v38 plus (SVN) - After the 20th of February 2018

Yeah i'm running it in debug mode. Seems to only occur sometimes, as i've played the game through the exception-throwing code.

Also, i'm already apart of the team :)

Is there any C++ code to log something to file? Running in debug isn't seem to be catching it, or, its just too slow to get it to happen.

Most times the minidumps don't contain all the necessary data. They can only be used to see where in the code the problem might be.
Somethimes they point into the exe or one of the directx dll's in those cases it's most likely a problem in the art files or sometimes a graphic driver issue.

You can try to run the game with the debugger attached using the FinalRelease dll and you should also copy the CvGameCoreDLL.pdb into the assets directory.
Sometimes the debug dll doesn't crash, that could be a sign of an uninitialized pointer because in the debug dll all pointers are initialized with NULL but that isn't the case with the compiler optimizations enabled.

Running C2C with the debug dll is very slow but it's the only way to do proper debugging because with the compiler optimizations enabled you can't see many things.

Yeah i'm running it in debug mode. Seems to only occur sometimes, as i've played the game through the exception-throwing code.

Also, i'm already apart of the team :)
Ah right... cool. Thanks for looking into it. There have been some minidump issues I couldn't solve for reasons Alberts explained pretty well above - failure to get accurate or detailed enough information from the mini and failure to replicate on a debug dll run. If you can't find the issue take place reliably it can be very hard to determine the real problem.

Hi!, in my cities (the external interface where appears name, actual production, population...) the value of defense is much lower that the real value (in the internal city menu). For example, in my actual game my capital have a +18% of defence value in the external interface but in the city menu this value is +142%.Now i´m playing in the ancient era.

Hi!, in my cities (the external interface where appears name, actual production, population...) the value of defense is much lower that the real value (in the internal city menu). For example, in my actual game my capital have a +18% of defence value in the external interface but in the city menu this value is +142%.Now i´m playing in the ancient era.
Are you using the "Python Performance & Interface Overhaul" modmod?

Are you positive that the value inside the city screen is the correct one, and that the one on the map-city-bar is wrong?
I'm asking because my modmod is only responsible for the one inside the city screen, I think the one on the map-city-bar is handled by the dll code.
Yes, cause makes several turns the value on the city menu was it appears in the external city interface. The values, therefore, have been reversed.

Two bits of strangeness

1. I have built the Department of Water which gives free Water Pipes in all cities but in some cities I need to still build Water Pipes.
Water Pipes require fresh water, maybe the cities where the building wasn't built didn't have fresh water at the time the Department of Water was built?

Water Pipes require fresh water, maybe the cities where the building wasn't built didn't have fresh water at the time the Department of Water was built?

The city in question was on a river and on the coast, so it had access to fresh water. The point is that a few turns after the wonder was built some cities were having the building showing in their "can build" list.

The problem is that I can build the building in the city but I should have gotten it for free from the wonder. I eventually had to build it in a number of cities which negates the whole point of infrastructure wonder buildings like this.

Has C2C changed the rules on free buildings in some way? I know people used to complain about inland cities getting lighthouses free when they could not ever be built normally. Not that this is the situation here.

The city in question was on a river and on the coast, so it had access to fresh water. The point is that a few turns after the wonder was built some cities were having the building showing in their "can build" list.

The problem is that I can build the building in the city but I should have gotten it for free from the wonder. I eventually had to build it in a number of cities which negates the whole point of infrastructure wonder buildings like this.

Has C2C changed the rules on free buildings in some way? I know people used to complain about inland cities getting lighthouses free when they could not ever be built normally. Not that this is the situation here.

I just looked through the freebuilding from buildings code on my phone and it looked ok. But it seems this needs a closer investigation.

Maybe a city having fresh water isn't automatically the case even if it is coastal and has access to an river? Maybe in C2C this also requires something like a building which provides fresh water?
I can't check this right now but maybe someone else knows it.

EDIT:
Buildings can require Water or Fresh Water. Water would be fulfilled in a coastal city or by an river. But fresh water probably needs something else.

Last edited:
I just looked through the freebuilding from buildings code on my phone and it looked ok. But it seems this needs a closer investigation.

Maybe a city having fresh water isn't automatically the case even if it is coastal and has access to an river? Maybe in C2C this also requires something like a building which provides fresh water?
I can't check this right now but maybe someone else knows it.

EDIT:
Buildings can require Water or Fresh Water. Water would be fulfilled in a coastal city or by an river. But fresh water probably needs something else.
In this particular case the city had all the requirements because it was available to be built but it did not get it for free. And yes it could build the water pipes before the national wonder was built.

In this particular case the city had all the requirements because it was available to be built but it did not get it for free. And yes it could build the water pipes before the national wonder was built.

For the free buildings there's only a simplified check performed whether a city gets a free building or not.

That could also mean that maybe you shouldn't have been able to manually build the water pipes in that city. In that case the full CanConstruct evaluation could be missing the fresh water check or have some other bug.

That could also mean that maybe you shouldn't have been able to manually build the water pipes in that city. In that case the full CanConstruct evaluation could be missing the fresh water check or have some other bug.

The Outbreaks and Afflictions gameoption added additional parameters to the CanConstruct evaluation and one of those parameters excludes some checks including the fresh water check from the CanConstruct evaluation.

The problem about this is that the caching hasn't been adjusted and it's possible that wrong results are cached at the moment.
That would make it possible to build things that shouldn't be possible to build like building water pipes in a city without fresh water.

Edit:
I try to fix this during the weekend.

Last edited:
I had a horrible load save crash and I am trying to basically redownload all of the files, but I am getting a connection error when connecting to svn://svn.code.sf.net/p/caveman2cosmos/code/trunk as it is saying "unable to connect to a repository at URL". Has anyone had any luck?

I had a horrible load save crash and I am trying to basically redownload all of the files, but I am getting a connection error when connecting to svn://svn.code.sf.net/p/caveman2cosmos/code/trunk as it is saying "unable to connect to a repository at URL". Has anyone had any luck?
SVN is bugging out again.
Sourceforge is more or less unreliable since February.

Top Bottom