1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Single Player bugs and crashes v40 plus (SVN) - After Oct 2019

Discussion in 'Bugs and Crashes' started by Thunderbrd, Oct 20, 2019.

1. JosEPh_II

JosEPh_II TBS WarLord

Mod has a problem. If you lose your starting band of homo sapiens the game does not recognize that you have lost. Especially on any GS that does not give free tribes from Goody huts.

Screenshot43 is 3 turns after losing my Band to a Grizzly or Brown bear. Also the Bear attacked the Band but not the Stone Thrower.
    Screenshot42 is 10 turns prior to 43.
    Screenshot40 shows Finance Advisor. No unit cost shown yet Stone thrower has a 1 Gold maint cost.

These need to be fixed.

Attached Files:

2. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

That right there is just strange... hmm. I don't know how to answer for this at all except that it may be part of the problem of allowing 0 str units to become the lead defender that has been a known bug to solve for recently since some of the incorrect refactoring that took place in that area.

As for why the game didn't end... are you playing with the 'requires complete kills' option by chance?

As for the gold, I would imagine that until you have a city, gold and commerce stuff isn't processing at all.

3. Toffer90

Toffer90 C2C Modder

The initial band has 2 strength I think, so it would have a greater chance of winning against the grizzly than the stone thrower would.
    The free unit upkeep would cover that stone thrower.

4. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

I thought it was a strengthless unit... ok.
    K, good to know that's how that's working out. Thanks.

5. JosEPh_II

JosEPh_II TBS WarLord

Never play with it On. Perhaps the reordering and changing of the Options is a root cause.

6. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

If it is a game that was setup before the new ordering, absolutely - but that should be an unloadable save if that's the case. Still, if you just didn't review the options and assumed the last selections were what you want when you began the game setup this time, yeah that could very much be to blame. I found I had the weirdest defaults ever last time I did a game setup. It's also so easy when that kind of thing happens to check an option incorrectly to what you'd want by accident. Check the game itself under the red fist icon and look at the options to see if it happened to be a selected option, however unintentional that might've been.

I just need to know if it's functioning correctly or incorrectly before looking deeper is the main thing.

7. MattCA

MattCA Warlord

Game was never setup to check for settler if no cities have been built. It just checks if the player has any units.

8. primem0ver

primem0ver Emperor

After years of being away, I finally broke down and bought the Steam version of this game as I couldn't get the others to work on Windows 10. I am playing a regular single player game and am at 765 AD and have had no trouble up to now. Turn times take just over 5 seconds. As soon as my turn auto ends (I have wait at end of turn off), the game suddenly stops on a seemingly infinite loop (the turn cursor keeps running and running). I have waited 3+ minutes. Is this a known issue? Is there something I can do to try and troubleshoot?

Thunderbrd likes this.
  9. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

I don't know of any outstanding hang bugs... is this on the latest SVN or is it the latest version release?

I would imagine you could fairly easily get up to date on our Git server as well. I would love to have ya back working on things with us!

MattCA likes this.
  10. JosEPh_II

JosEPh_II TBS WarLord

Options used. And Yes I went thru the complete game set up Options list because of the reshuffling that has occurred. And to see what was renamed or removed.

1 added comment the one mil unit at game start on emperor used to be stone thrower. Now it is brute, another change.

I am using the Git Final release set up to play this game from. Which is incompatible if you try to use the SVN version instead. And vice versa.

Attached Files:

11. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

I think Matt found the answer to what happened there is not dependent on that option as I thought it might have been, which is an interesting answer because it used to be that if you didn't have a settler or a city, game was over without being on Requires Complete Kills, so what he's looking at in code may be something that was altered from the original? Either that or perhaps I misunderstood what I thought was a hard game rule there.

12. MattCA

MattCA Warlord

void CvPlayer::verifyAlive()
    {
    if (isAlive())
    {
    bool bKill = false;
    if (!bKill)
    {
    if (!isNPC())
    {
    if (getNumCities() == 0 && getAdvancedStartPoints() < 0)
    {
    // Matt: kill player if number of units is 0 or GAMEOPTION_COMPLETE_KILLS is off and the player has founded first city.
    if ((getNumUnits() == 0) || (!(GC.getGame().isOption(GAMEOPTION_COMPLETE_KILLS)) && isFoundedFirstCity() && !(isRebel())))
    {
    bKill = true;
    }
    }
    }
    }

13. Toffer90

Toffer90 C2C Modder

Without "complete kills" it should kill when all cities and all settlers are dead. (a settler unit is a "virtual" city)
    With "complete kills" it should kill when all cities and all units are dead.

14. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

Though we should consider a Nomadic Tribe a 'settler' unit in this equation of course, for future purposes.

Toffer90 likes this.
  15. ecawilson

ecawilson Warlord

I don't like hard coding this in, for the player. What if someone wants to set up a scenario where the player is the Huns, or the Goths, or some other refugee population that is forced (or not forced, I don't know their motivations) to conquer a new land? A few axemen (knights? tanks? invading clone army?) could be the foundation of a whole new society. I know it goes against the theory and foundation of civ4, but so does the nomadic start.

16. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

Then we'd design an option for it and tweak the rule when the option is in play.

ecawilson likes this.
  17. primem0ver

primem0ver Emperor

LOL. Yeah. It has been a LONG time. Every now and then I miss our fun conversations that we used to have. Life has been pretty busy these last bunch of years. In addition really got into Skyrim and ESO (Elder Scrolls Online). I then built a pretty big mod for Stellaris... which I loved before they took out the interstellar drives that got my to buy it. I hate that they have basically turned it into a land game by making it star-lane only. I am still into Skyrim but have been taking my time to build a new mod set for Special Edition as I am working on a utility to streamline that process so it doesn't take so long in future load orders.

I have been waiting forever for a decent update to Civ which has never come. :mad: Although... if they ever release the DLL code for Civ 6, I have hopes that it will be an adequate replacement (from what I hear, even without the DLL it has some in depth abilities that weren't available in 5). In the meantime I have missed playing Civ. I didn't want to spend another 30+ dollars for a game I have bought several copies of and was pretty upset that they didn't make it compatible with Windows 10 without spending MORE money. A few weeks ago I found it on sale for 8 bucks so I grabbed it!

Thunderbrd likes this.
  18. primem0ver

primem0ver Emperor

It's not a big deal anymore as I like my new game better... but I still might want to play it later.

Attached Files:

19. primem0ver

primem0ver Emperor

It is the latest file download. Probably not the latest SVN. I will see if I can find it but let me know where to get that just in case.

20. Toffer90

Toffer90 C2C Modder

https://github.com/caveman2cosmos/Caveman2Cosmos/wiki/Using-SVN

A lot of worldbuilder and scenario related modding happened after our last official release (v40.1) outside the SVN system.