Single Player bugs and crashes v42 plus (SVN) - After April 2022

raxo2222

Time Traveller
Please report all single player bugs and crashes for the SVN version of C2C here.

If you are using the download version of Caveman2Cosmos v42 please use the other thread. However, you will likely need to update to the latest SVN version (at least up until we break compatibility) to get a chance to verify that the bug is still in place, and to be able to easily get an update that fixes the bug afterward, so you may want to first get the latest SVN version if you can before reporting a stock v42 bug.

To assist us in fixing the problem please include the version of C2C you are playing.

If the bug involved a repeatable "Crash to Desktop" (CTD) or similar please include
  • a save and description of how to reproduce the crash
  • if your mods folder is not Caveman2Cosmos please state what it is when posting a save to help the modders and save them time when trying to identify the problem.
  • the MiniDump.dmp file. It is found in your Beyond the Sword folder that contains the Mods file containing Caveman2Cosmos. IE the folder that contains the BeyondTheSword.exe file.
If the bug includes error messages then the Python.Err file in the logs folder would be useful also. It can be found in the same location as the the Saves folder containing your save games.

A screen shot.

Basically as much information as you can that will help us find the problem[/INDENT]

If you saw the AI doing something stupid/unoptimal/otherwise bad make sure your BBAI logging is set to 3 in the BUG options. Then, post a savegame exhibiting the behavior as well as the BBAI log, found in the Documents/My Games/Beyond the Sword/Logs folder.

How to turn on logging.

In the Civ 4 INI file, located in Documents/My Games/Beyond the Sword, there are some logging options. Make sure they look like this.
Code:
; Enable the logging system
LoggingEnabled = 1

; Enable synchronization logging
SynchLog = 1

; Overwrite old network and message logs
OverwriteLogs = 1

; Enable rand event logging
RandLog = 0

; Enable message logging
MessageLog = 1
Note: You only need to have RandLogs on if you are playing Multiplayer, otherwise just leave that off (thx Cyrusfan)

How to turn on the AI logging.

The AI logging is turned on in the BUG options screens. It is the BBAI log mentioned on the Logs page. It writes to the same folder as the other logs creating a BBAI.log file there.

User Settings Folder

In some cases, it can be helpful to upload your user settings folder when you make a bug report. Particularly if we cannot replicate the problem on a repeatable issue.
Its in Caveman2Cosmos folder

Known issues
If you are playing on Windows 7 and get a crash, play in Windows Vista SP2 compatibility mode and you might get past the crash.

On V42 mod won't load if you have mod folder in documents/my games, or if your mod isn't named Caveman2Cosmos.

CivilizationIV.ini tends to self-destruct itself once a while.
Remember to back up it, file can be found at C:\Users\<username>\Documents\My Games\Beyond the Sword

Last edited:
First bug in the thread!

Found a CtD playing with default installation for Steam, not sure what the cause could be. Had to zip the dmp file as the forums won't accept that as an upload.

Attachments

• Kith.CivBeyondSwordSave
    5.4 MB · Views: 35
  • MiniDump-v42.0.6871-20220329-160634.dmp.zip
    24.9 KB · Views: 30
First bug in the thread!

Found a CtD playing with default installation for Steam, not sure what the cause could be. Had to zip the dmp file as the forums won't accept that as an upload.
Upload user settings too

Here are the UserSettings

Attachments

• UserSettings.zip
    29.1 KB · Views: 28
continued from wrong thread...
did SVN update, received "conflicted file" message, raxo2222 suggested SVN clean up process, I did clean up, ran SVN update again and still same message:

Attachments

• Conflicted.jpg
    Conflicted.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 45
continued from wrong thread...
did SVN update, received "conflicted file" message, raxo2222 suggested SVN clean up process, I did clean up, ran SVN update again and still same message:
you didn't do it properly then

Everything in cleanup window must be selected.

I accidentally put my bug report in the V41 chain, but it's with the most recent SVN.

I don't get "Autobuilding - Presence of Earth" in my city with a peak in it - and all the other reqs met.

I've reinstalled the mod without modmods (I'm using the updated Civ Megapack and Joji's terrain v3), but nothing changed.

Save uploaded.

Also I'd like to suggest that you can get flintstone from peaks.

Attachments

• lesla BC-121715.CivBeyondSwordSave
    5.2 MB · Views: 26
I'm getting a consistent crash to desktop during the inter-turn in my current game. It was running fine up to about 5 turns before this point, then it started crashing to desktop during the interturn. It managed to limp along a few more turns, but now it invariably crashes when ending the turn on the attached save.

Tried updating C2C (was on v42.0, now on v42.1 beta), but didn't have any effect.

The PythonErr log has a lengthy spam of:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "BugEventManager", line 303, in _handleDefaultEvent
File "RevEvents", line 401, in onCityAcquired
File "RevEvents", line 455, in checkRebelBonuses
RuntimeError: unidentifiable C++ exception

At the end of it, but I'm not sure if this is relevant.

Attachments

• Polynesia2.CivBeyondSwordSave
    8.9 MB · Views: 26
  • MiniDump-v42.1.BETA.6883-20220414-111515.rar
    21.7 KB · Views: 23
It appears this crash bug was most likely fixed on Github

Last edited:
v42.1.BETA.6883 - 2022-05-09

STR:
  1. Load attached save.
  2. Select "Exile 1 (Moscow)".
  3. Remove "Stay The Hand" promotion.
  4. Ambush the Gatherer on the same tile.
Result: message is shown: "The Barbarian Exile 1 (Moscow) has come to realize that your Gatherer saw the attack coming..."
Expected result: message is shown: "Your Exile 1 (Moscow) has come to realize that [Roman|Caligula|...] Gatherer saw the attack coming..."

Attachments

• upload_2022-5-14_14-5-1.png
    upload_2022-5-14_14-5-1.png
    4.4 MB · Views: 39
  • AutoSave_BC-140096.CivBeyondSwordSave
    3.2 MB · Views: 23
This can be decade old bug :D
Way too many unit art styles exist with no way to test if stuff works correctly.

With CTD's being fixed on Git would someone Please upload the commits to the SVN. Please.

Thank you in advance to whomever does this.

With CTD's being fixed on Git would someone Please upload the commits to the SVN. Please.

Thank you in advance to whomever does this.
Tried yesterday, SVN was down, so I'll retry.

Once again SVN was too slow and it failed, we will have to retry after someone commits stuff tomorrow.

By the way this CTD was caused by Revolution game option.

Last edited:
Have a repeatable CTD problem here. Once I hit Next Turn it goes down no matter what I fiddle with first. Playing on Windows 10.

Edit: Crashes under SVN 11464, if that helps.

Edit 2: And fully works again under 11466. Thank you and well done!

Attachments

• Crash Save.CivBeyondSwordSave
    13.3 MB · Views: 39
  • MiniDump-v42.0.6871-20220418-102435.zip
    16.2 KB · Views: 25
  • UserSettings.zip
    28.4 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
something wierd going on in the "Industrial era",,, every game i play into the indus era goes from 10 to 20 seconds, to 2-4 minutes PER turn?? in the attached i play with ONLY 2 other civs on a small map, and i am at war at all, and i have razed over 15 cities already, doesnt matter, longer turns??

plus i have 99% of the cities on research . .
Still sounds like what happens when AI armies fight AI armies though. I think the plans I've got in the works will address these odd long turns, though they could also be the occasional re-evaluation of civics or tech decisions - remember more options there (for the AI player since its later in the game) can mean when the evaluation takes place now and then it takes longer.

Last edited:
Once again SVN was too slow and it failed, we will have to retry after someone commits stuff tomorrow.

By the way this CTD was caused by Revolution game option.

SVN 11464 did indeed fix the CTD issue I was having - thanks! :)

ok working off of that theory of at war, i changed it so i am at peace with the other 2 civs .. . went a few turns and nothing changed, it still takes 3-4 minutes PER turn???
Well game slows down if it has lots of units - war doesn't matter.
And this happens after Renaissance.

I have test save on Duel map, that is extremely slow to process with AI autoplay - only one civilization is here. It has 2600 units.
If you simply press end turn then game goes quickly.
My test save is in Nanotech.

My suspicion is very inefficient unit tag existing on Renaissance and later units.

Attachments

• SPACE_TEST.CivBeyondSwordSave
    4.9 MB · Views: 24
Top Bottom