Skyrim - The Elder Scrolls V

Well, Wrye Bash was very useful for using lots of mods, sorting screenshots and even installing them. You really didn't need OMOD at all if you knew what you were doing and OBSE was only necessary if you actually used mods that that took advantage of it.

Well, Wrye Bash was very useful for using lots of mods, sorting screenshots and even installing them. You really didn't need OMOD at all if you knew what you were doing
I meant OBMM not OMOD files heh, it did a fine job of organizing mods easily.

and OBSE was only necessary if you actually used mods that that took advantage of it.
Same thing with WB, except I found very few mods that required WB and found plenty of really neat ones that required OBSE.

EDIT: Skip to 21 minutes and they show some footage of various mods the staff spent a week making just for fun (they have no idea if they will ever release any of it or not) after Skyrim's release. I'm rather disappointed that some of it wasn't in the game to begin with.

http://au.gamespot.com/shows/gamespot-live/?event=skyrims_todd_howard_dice_keynote20120208

Attachments

• 2012-01-25_00001.jpg
    2012-01-25_00001.jpg
    275.3 KB · Views: 212
Is there any rhyme or reason as to how much money shopkeepers have? I always tons of potions worth tens of thousands of gold, and I make them faster than I can sell them and it's a pain to cycle around all the cities and sellers I know to make maybe 5-8 grand per cycle. There must be a better way!

You could just throw them in a gutter and then cheat yourself their approximate value.

Max your speechcraft (if you don't mind cheating, there's a glitch at the Black Briar Meadery where you can max your speech in under an hour), get the perk that adds permanent 1000, invest 500, and sell anything anywhere and you'll find selling your junk becomes much easier. Also the general goods store in Riverwood (the one with the golden claw) always seems to have like 16k gold on hand, so they're also a good place to start.

I always tons of potions worth tens of thousands of gold, and I make them faster than I can sell them

What is the trick to this? I enchanted some rings and I barely get much of anything for them. I've created some healing potions, but that's about it. Is it a specific type of enchantment or potion that is so valuable, or is it due to a high skill level, both or something else?

Ya gots ta transmute iron into silver into gold first. There's probably an enchantment that's more valuable. Also, I think someone said that selling health potions got you the most net profit. What basically happens is you just make potions with all the random crap you find and then sell everything you don't need (which usually boils down to everything but health and a few magicka).

Is there any rhyme or reason as to how much money shopkeepers have? I always tons of potions worth tens of thousands of gold, and I make them faster than I can sell them and it's a pain to cycle around all the cities and sellers I know to make maybe 5-8 grand per cycle. There must be a better way!

The Thieves Guild quests can grant you access to fences. What you're after is not that they'll buy stolen goods, but the fact that they have 4000 gold every 48 hours.

A good way to make some money is, whilst making your billions of leather bracers, to enchant them with bought (or hand-filled) soul gems. You can turn your 10g junk into 500+g gems. Also get good alchemy enchanting equip, use skyrim wiki to id all the ingredients and then just push out the most valuable potions (giant's toe+wheat, any inv or frenzy or those types.) I easily made over 200k gold just from trying to max alchemy.

What is the trick to this? I enchanted some rings and I barely get much of anything for them. I've created some healing potions, but that's about it. Is it a specific type of enchantment or potion that is so valuable, or is it due to a high skill level, both or something else?

The price depends on the effect and quality of the item. A high skill and appropriate perks will of course increase the worh, but some enchantmens/effects are inherently more valuable. With the same skill and soul gem a Fortify Sneak or Fortify Carry Weight item will alway sell for more than something with Fire Resistance for example (but I've seen that without perks, enchantment items become less valuable with a high enchantment skill. bug?).
The most expensive potions I sell are Invisibility Potions and Paralysis poisons. Vampire Dust, Lunar Moth Wings and Ice Wraith Teeth can be used for Invisibility. Canis Roots can be used for Paralysis poisions, but I just now can't remember the other ingredient. Iirc even a mediocre alchemist can get over 300 septims for a Invisibility potion.

The Thieves Guild quests can grant you access to fences. What you're after is not that they'll buy stolen goods, but the fact that they have 4000 gold every 48 hours.

I finished all their quests so long ago I don't remember all the fences! I'll have to look at a list. But... the fences I do remember (dude in the brewery, woman in the guild, guy at mage's college) never seem to have much more than 1500 or so.

re: the Guild, does anyone know

Spoiler :
more shops to show up in the Ragged Flagon? I got the bow selling elf, but no matter how many jobs I do with Delvin and Vex I can't seem to get another one to come up. Do I have to complete a cycle of different ones? I usually just select the ledger ones and the burglary ones because they're so easy. I tried the pickpocketing one and the first one I tried I had 0% chance to steal what they wanted, no matter how buffed I got with potions and what not, and my skill is not high enough to bother.

@Methos:

The enchanting and alchemy perks that make potions and enchantments more effective in turn make the items you enchant and potions more valuable. Also some potions and enchantments are more valuable than others. The carry weight enchantment seems more valuable, for instance. Damage Magicka Regen, Invisibility, and Paralyze potions are very valuable, to name a few. With 5/5 selected in the first alchemy perk, (the one that enhances potion power) plus with all armor buffed to enhance alchemy, and with around 80 speechcraft you can regularly make 500-800 gold potions, even with mundane ones like healing potions. I think I make some worth 1,000. But it seems a fools errand as I can only sell one or two at a time!

edit: or what GoodSamaritian said.:ack:

I've found that good prices come from:

enchanted items that are worth more
high speech levels
apparel that improves prices: masks & jewelry

My strategy is to buy all the potions I can/need from a vendor, then sell him back enough stuff to get all my money back plus whatever he has left.

Vendors are capped by the game in how much money they have available.

Or, if you really dislike loadings and just want to sell your crap without having to constantly fast travel and wait, just open up the console, click on the vendor and type:

additem f 10000

There, 10k caps is plenty for him to afford all you garbage and it's not cheating because all you did was skip the loadings before selling the crap you would sell anyway without giving the vendor more money.

I bought the game yesterday and I've liked what I've seen this far. Can I choose what my character will do as his job or are all the jobs quest-like? At the moment I'm just completing quests as I can't figure out what else to do.

I bought the game yesterday and I've liked what I've seen this far. Can I choose what my character will do as his job or are all the jobs quest-like? At the moment I'm just completing quests as I can't figure out what else to do.

What do you mean by 'job' ?

Your choices are basically what you decide to do and what you decide not to do. There aren't really "jobs", everything is quest-based, however you can decide to do quests for certain factions and not others, effectively "working" for them I guess. For instance, on my first character I did all the "jobs" for Riften and the Thieves Guild, and did not work with the Companions and much other regions. I didn't side with either the Stormcloaks or the Imperial. In my current game I'm getting involved in the civil war more, "working" for one of the two sides.

Apart from that, there's always the main quest, which is a "job" in itself, i.e. saving the world. It's the quest line about dragons and the voice and stuff like that.

I finished all their quests so long ago I don't remember all the fences! I'll have to look at a list. But... the fences I do remember (dude in the brewery, woman in the guild, guy at mage's college) never seem to have much more than 1500 or so.

re: the Guild, does anyone know

I see. Did you do the
Spoiler :
quests that unlock after 5 jobs in each city except Riften? I think those unlock fences, Flagon stores, and bring gold totals to 4000.

That is why I love the Thieves Guild so much.

Top Bottom