So Islam is a religion of peace?

I have to admit, you're one of the few people who could legitimately refer to Irish history as "mainstream".

I'd just like to briefly scoff at the posters who think the IRA and Sinn Fein are 'Catholic' organizations. Aside from perhaps the Unionist Party, whose head believes the Pope is the antichrist and Catholic Church the Whore of Babylon, the Sinn Fein is the political party most contrarian to the Catholic Church in Ireland, and it's been that way for at least twenty years.

I'd just like to briefly scoff at the posters who think the IRA and Sinn Fein are 'Catholic' organizations. Aside from perhaps the Unionist Party, whose head believes the Pope is the antichrist and Catholic Church the Whore of Babylon, the Sinn Fein is the political party most contrarian to the Catholic Church in Ireland, and it's been that way for at least twenty years.
You're thinking of the DUP, not the UUP or "Unionist Party".

Actually, Catholic Church/Radical Republican relations, as bad as they are for the last forty years, aren't quite as bad as they were in the days of mass excommunications...which technically are still in effect.

I can admit that my views on whether or not Sinn Fein/IRA are Catholic is biased by the fact that in the newspapers, they always used the word Catholic to describe the IRA after each attack.

This is a frequent, but inaccurate behavior on most Newspapers. While a majority of Catholics are Republicans, and a majority of Protestants are unionist, there have always been significant departures in both communities, the most noticeable of which has been the hierarchy of the Catholic Church, which has been opposed to Republicanism since the 1790s.
It also muddles the issues of the Protestant community, which does have a significant number of nationalists, but also has no unified religious tradition. The largest Unionist party, the DUP, was headed by Ian Paisley was founder of the "Free Presbyterian Church" and therefor in opposition to the Church of Ireland and the Presbyterian churches of Ulster.

In fact, if this was really a religious conflict, Anglicans would be on the same side as the Catholics in conflict with the Presbyterians.

In fact, if this was really a religious conflict, Anglicans would be on the same side as the Catholics in conflict with the Presbyterians.
back when Bonar Law ran the Party things were nice and simple

I'm not even going to wade into other areas of this argument, but on this specific point you have not even done the research. So please consider what you're saying before you say it, and do a 20-second internet search before acting as if you are informed about something.

I don't see people in Greenland asking the world for help, and I don't see them fighting for their independence. At least not in a way you can compare to the Palestinians.
It's a super quiet demand in Greenland. And the shortness of those articles, especially the wiki article, emphasizes what I said.
Palestinians are probably the most determind "land demanders" in the last 10 years.

You could make the equally valid argument that the Israeli government is the most determined "land demander" given how insistent they are that they be allowed to hold on to the West Bank.

Bonar Law was Presbyterian

You could even make a similar case for Ramsay MacDonald.

WindFish said:
I can admit that my views on whether or not Sinn Fein/IRA are Catholic is biased by the fact that in the newspapers, they always used the word Catholic to describe the IRA after each attack.

It should go without saying that British newspapers are anti-Catholic, anti-Irish and inaccurate. They're British newspapers.

It should go without saying that British newspapers are anti-Catholic, anti-Irish and inaccurate. They're British newspapers.

Thata what happens when you have Aussies running British newspapers

You could make the equally valid argument that the Israeli government is the most determined "land demander" given how insistent they are that they be allowed to hold on to the West Bank.
OK
It doesn't refute what I said.

To be fair, the Faeroe Islands aren't firing off rockets into Jutland.

Perhaps it's because we don't fire rockets into them?

@Absolution, I can assure you the Schleswigers and the Swedes had issues when we invaded them or abused them. We just don't do that anymore. That's why we don't have the issues you're having. And when areas such as Greenland, Iceland and the Faeroes wish to become independent, we quietly allow them to because we're acting as a humane civilized country. You invaded settled land. Are you really that surprised that the response was violent?

del62 said:
Thata what happens when you have Aussies running British newspapers

Murdoch's a Yank, not an Aussies. His passport confirms it.

Murdoch's a Yank, not an Aussies. His passport confirms it.

I guess the anti-catholic nature of his British newspapers is why John Paul II bestowed on him the Order of St. Gregory the Great.

del62 said:
I guess the anti-catholic nature of his British newspapers is why John Paul II bestowed on him the Order of St. Gregory the Great.

The Old Man was senile, it isn't his fault.

Perhaps it's because we don't fire rockets into them?

@Absolution, I can assure you the Schleswigers and the Swedes had issues when we invaded them or abused them. We just don't do that anymore. That's why we don't have the issues you're having. And when areas such as Greenland, Iceland and the Faeroes wish to become independent, we quietly allow them to because we're acting as a humane civilized country. You invaded settled land. Are you really that surprised that the response was violent?

You will be telling me that there were no Jordanian Guns firing at Israel in 1967 next.

Top Bottom