South Bay Kids Asked to remove American t-shirts

We'll see how the courts rule, if this gets that far. :) I suspect they'll be less forgiving than you, but I could be wrong. I certainly hope not.
If it gets to the Supreme Court, the 4 libs will need Kennedy or one of the conservatives to become more forgiving than recent on student free speech rights. Perhaps the American flag will carry as much weight as an Articles of Incoproration, though.

I think you are mssing the forest for the trees here. This wasn't the only demostration against Cinco de Mayo Day which occured. Are you going to try to ratlionize away the 20 students who wore the "Border Patrol" T-shirts at the other school as well? Or even the animosity about Mexican-Americans celebrating their heritgae on this day which was quite evident in this forum in a number of threads?

In case you haven't noticed with all the recent threads on the topic, there is a great deal of hostility and animosity in the US right now directed at Mexican-Americans.
I am aware of all this, yes, and acknowledge that in atmosphere such as the display made by these students was ill-advised and tactless. That does not, however, necessarily imply that they are rabid anti-Mexican bigots. They may be, but it does not follow from the information which we have been given.

I see no notice of that in the OP. Care to point it out?
My apologies; the information does not appear to be in the article linked in the OP, although I have read it elsewhere. Googling "Dominic Maciel father" turns up a few links, poor evidence as that is. If nothing else, his blatantly Latino name at least implies his probable origins.

You apparently don't know much about American bigotry. Shane recently pointed this out. The US has a rich and proud history of each succeeding large immingrant group discriminating against the next one. I was surprised to find there is even a word coined to describe this phenomonon which he mentioned, but unfortunately I can't remember it.

I would also not be terribly surprised if some Mexican-Americans whose families have been here for generations now even find it offensive to celebrate their heritage. After all, we are all "immigrants" except for the rare few who are mainly American Indian.
Well, my mistake. In the United Kingdom, those of immigrant descent tend to be less hostile to other immigrants, at least those of their own religions- in my experience, for example, the Scots-Irish community is typically less hostile towards immigrant Poles, Lithuanians and so, because of their similar history and shared Catholic faith. I was aware that the United States was different, particularly in regards to race, but had assumed that in such a religious country bonds of faith my carry some weight.

You still have acknowledged the implications of the possibility that some of the kids are Mexican-American, though.

"Unfounded personal attacks?" Against these rabble rousers who obviously quite intentionally all dressed up in matching bandanas to try to piss off other students? :lol:
Yeah. Being a nob-head, no matter how spectacularly so, doesn't imply for a moment that you are a bigot. They're high schoolers, for god's sake, doing something ill-considered to get attention is hardly unusual. I honestly don't see why this is a reflection of poor character any more than a nose-piercing or a drunken fight.

Besides, it is quite one thing to supposedly engage in a "personal attack" regarding people not in this forum and those who actually are. To suggest otherwise is disingenuous at best. :lol:
I merely meant to suggest that perpetuating your lithic bombardment could leave your home shattered and cracked beyond repair. Neighbourly advice, nothing more.

Unrelated events can not be taken as evidence for the nature of this event one way or the other. That simply doesn't follow.
So you actually think it was a coincidence these 5 jock friends all decided to dress up in matching bandanas on Cinco de Mayo Day? And it was also a coincidence that 20 other students dressed up in "Border Patrol" T-shirts at different high school?

You still have acknowledged the implications of the possibility that some of the kids are Mexican-American, though.
I fully admit it very well may be quite possible. As I said, people tend to forget their roots quite quickly in this country. I wouldn't be surprised in the least if there isn't a pecking order amongst Latinos in areas like this which has a frequent influx of new immigrants due to the agriculture. The Gilroy / Morgan Hill area is the "garlic capitol" of the US.

Yeah. Being a nob-head, no matter how spectacularly so, doesn't imply for a moment that you are a bigot. There high schoolers, for god sake, doing something ill-considered to get attention is hardly unusual. You just can't hang your witch-hunt around a nose-piercing or a drunken fight.
I had to look that one up. I hope some mod doesn't think you are deliberately trying to get past the censor bot. :lol:

But yes, I would say that anybody who deliberately dressed up to piss off Mexican-Americans on Cinco de Mayo day is quite likely a bigot. And if not, at least a trolling idiot who has little or no sympathy for the heritage of others. YMMV.

EDIT: Follow-up story:

Morgan Hill: With heavy police presence, students hold peace rally after flag flap

After two days in a media maelstrom of their own making, students at Morgan Hill's Live Oak High School took a deep breath — and in some cases, the day off — holding a peaceful sit-in on campus Friday under the watchful eye of more than a dozen police officers.

The trouble began during Wednesday's Cinco de Mayo celebration, when an assistant principal told four boys that they couldn't wear clothes emblazoned with the American flag. By Friday, administrators at the school were ready to raise the flag of surrender. The school's principal, Nicholas Boden, issued a public apology for moving "too quickly in drawing the line of when to take preventive action."

The apology didn't come in time to head off one of the boys and his mother from going on Fox News at sunrise, or to stop tea party patriots from planning to descend upon Morgan Hill today.

The heightened police presence was due in part to rumors swirling around the school Thursday that Latino gangs would storm the campus and attack white students. According to Wesley Smith, superintendent for Morgan Hill Unified School District, 150 Live Oak students stayed home Friday. That was more than 10 percent of the school's enrollment — three times more than normal — and came despite an auto-dial message from the district encouraging parents to send their kids to school Friday.

So you actually think it was a coincidence these 5 jock friends all decided to dress up in matching bandanas on Cinco de Mayo Day? And it was also a coincidence that 20 other students dressed up in "Border Patrol" T-shirts at different high school?
In what sense? In both cases, it's quite obvious that the groups coordinated their dress on that particular day, I agree, but I don't think that necessarily implies a shared intent between the two.

I fully admit it very well may be quite possible. As I said, people tend to forget their roots quite quickly in this country. I wouldn't be surprised in the least if there isn't a pecking order amongst Latinos in areas like this which has a frequent influx of new immigrants due to the agriculture. The Gilroy / Morgan Hill area is the "garlic capitol" of the US.
Granted, but that still makes it hard to believe that a prejudice against ethnic Mexicans is likely, given the Mexican ethnicity of two of the students. A prejudice against Mexican nationals, particularly immigrants, is possible, but I don't think that we can infer this solely their act.

But yes, I would say that anybody who deliberately dressed up to piss off Mexican-Americans on Cinco de Mayo day is quite likely a bigot. And if not, at least a trolling idiot who has little or no sympathy for the heritage of others. YMMV.
Well, yes, exactly, "a bigot or an idiot". That's what I've been saying.

Did you completely forget about "innocent until proven guilty". :lol:

Your moral consistency is admirable.

In what sense? In both cases, it's quite obvious that the groups coordinated their dress on that particular day, I agree, but I don't think that necessarily implies a shared intent between the two.
Oh, no. I wasn't trying to suggest there was any connection. I was merely pointing out that both groups had the same intent: To create a disruption on campus. But wait until next year. That likely will be coordinated, apparently by the tea partyers.

Alright. I can accept that compromise. They are clearly one or the other. :lol:

Your moral consistency is admirable.
You do know the difference between my personal opinion based on the few facts I know and legal innocence or guilt of a crime, right? :lol:

Oh, no. I wasn't trying to suggest there was any connection. I was merely pointing out that both groups had the same intent: To create a disruption on campus. But wait until next year. That likely will be coordinated, apparently by the tea partyers.
Well, in this case I'm not sure "disruption" so much as "petty irritation" was the goal- I really doubt they expected anything like this mess to come out of it. Either way, I'm not sure that this group intended to make any sort of racist or anti-Mexican statement, which the "Border Patrol" group probably did. That does not appear self-evident in their actions.

Alright. I can accept that compromise. They are clearly one or the other. :lol:
Fair enough. :p

So you've gone from trying to compare two entirely different things to a personal attack? Does that mean "moral consistency" is still "admirable"? :lol:

Attacking the poster instead of addressing the issues? Gee, what a surprise. :lol:
Given your track record, I hardly think you're one to talk. ;) (I don't especially care if you view that as yet another attack -- it's very much true, as anyone who reads your posts would know) I don't suppose you could be bothered to hold up to your own standard, and actually addressing the relevant points, could you? Like, say, my main point: that you haven't proven that they had actually racist intentions?

There you go. If it was planned beforehand, they obviously did it for a reason. Now didn't they?
I think it's reasonable to assume that most people do most things for a reason. So sure, I'm sure they did it for a reason! I've never denied that, I think it's be rather odd to say that they did it for no purpose whatsoever. What I don't agree with is that their actions (Or any of the facts presented thus far) are at all like what you seem to think they are. (Most notably, the idea that "an individual or a small group could have an "anti-Semitic Day" by merely anonymously posting notices all over the school that if you hate Jews to wear anything which has the American flag on it the next day" is at all comparable) I repeat: It's quite a long jump from "They did this for a reason" to "this is part of a racist plan!"

Personal attack #2. Bravo!
Saying "You have to prove your assertions, or else you look silly" is not a personal attack. It's a statement about how civilized discussions go. When talking with intelligent, rational people and you make an assertion that is widely disputed, you either have to prove it, withdraw it (Or otherwise say something to the effect of "I'm pretty sure this is right, but I confess that I can't completely prove it right now) or look silly for making unsupported assertions. I'm not insulting you, I'm informing you of how adults talk to each other.

Children wearing redneck American flag apparel to deliberately incite and harass others in a public school obviously has nothing to do with "civil rights".
To be perfectly honest, if you feel "incited" or "harassed" because someone wears a shirt with an American flag on it in an American school, then that's your problem. It's not something that a reasonable person in America would be upset over, and I don't think everyone else should have to cater to you to make you feel comfortable. Now, if the guys wearing the shirt did stuff that actually was insulting or harassing -- say, running around yelling about how Mexico sucks and everyone from Mexico should go home -- then you should have just cause to discipline them. But because they were acting badly and disruptively, not because they're wearing an American flag.

That's right. As I said way back on page 2 or so, if they were adults in the real world there wouldn't be any issue. Of course, they have the right to make complete fools of themslves. But children in a public school are obviously a quite diferent story.
Can you explain why children in school should not be allowed at least a modicum of First Amendment rights, given that current law says they're allowed some, at the very least?

Regading the last two, "I guess it may have been a bit much to ask you to understand the difference."
Oh I understand the difference perfectly -- it just amuses me how odd a conception of the First Amendment you have!

@Formaldehyde
So because there are some people out there who really discriminate against Mexicans, those students certainly were discriminating as well? Never mind the fact that half of them are Mexicans themselves?

What sort of logic is that?

Given your track record, I hardly think you're one to talk. ;) !
Is that right? Care to point out where I made 3 personal attacks in one post as you just did? :lol:

Like, say, my main point: that you haven't proven that they had actually racist intentions?
Don't tell me you actually think opinions can be proven.

I repeat: It's quite a long jump from "They did this for a reason" to "this is part of a racist plan!
Ah. So now you are going to construct elaborate strawmen instead of actually arguing what I did say?

Saying "You have to prove your assertions, or else you look silly" is not a personal attack.
Saying that I have to "prove" my personal opinions is actually the "silly" part. You certainly never do, nor does anybody else. :lol:

Can you explain why children in school should not be allowed at least a modicum of First Amendment rights, given that current law says they're allowed some, at the very least?
Can you explain why you didn't actually read what I have posted in this thread before repeatedly personally attacking me?

Oh I understand the difference perfectly -- it just amuses me how odd a conception of the First Amendment you have!
I don't think you have a clue what my opinions actually are. You are too busy creating absurd strawmen you think you can defeat while repetitively engaging in personal attacks. I suggest you start by actually reading what I have posted in this thread. :lol:

@Formaldehyde
So because there are some people out there who really discriminate against Mexicans, those students certainly were discriminating as well? Never mind the fact that half of them are Mexicans themselves?

What sort of logic is that?
If that was what I actually thought, you might even be right. What sort of logic is that? :lol:

Holy cow! :eek: I heard it was bad down there, but I didn't realize it got THAT blown out of proportion.

And yes, Morgan Hill/Gilroy have an enormous Latino population. It's actually kind of interesting, because Morgan Hill was a farm town in the 70s, and then started transitioning into an affluent white middle class yuppie town in the 80s and 90s. Recently there has been a large influx of latinos. This influx has actually been blamed for being the reason my elementary school (a nationally recognized school the year before I came into it), is now one of the worst performing schools in the district.

To be perfectly honest, if you feel "incited" or "harassed" because someone wears a shirt with an American flag on it in an American school, then that's your problem. It's not something that a reasonable person in America would be upset over, and I don't think everyone else should have to cater to you to make you feel comfortable. Now, if the guys wearing the shirt did stuff that actually was insulting or harassing -- say, running around yelling about how Mexico sucks and everyone from Mexico should go home -- then you should have just cause to discipline them. But because they were acting badly and disruptively, not because they're wearing an American flag.
This, in bold.
But notice how that part of your post was avoided.

EDIT:
In other words, you again don't actually have any facts to support your opinions. You just know it must be true because you think it is "common sense". :lol:
More delightful irony.
I bet we are about to learn there is a difference between "proving one's opinion" and "supporting it with facts"...

It sounds no different than some other high schools in New Jersey where there are conflicts between the Dominican students and the Puerto Rican ones.

More delightful irony.
That's not "ironic" at all. You can't "prove" an opinion. But you can certainly use "facts" to support it. :lol:

I bet we are about to learn there is a difference between "proving one's opinion" and "supporting it with facts"...
I bet we are about to learn that there isn't much at all about this rhetoric which is "admirable" in the least, but it certainly is "consistent". :lol:

Why don't you try discussing the issues instead of incessantly engaging in personal attacks?

Holy cow! :eek: I heard it was bad down there, but I didn't realize it got THAT blown out of proportion.
Just wait until the tea partyers arrive in droves to "protest" their "civil rights".

Two points, and I hope you will substantively respond to both:

First, I'm not asking you to prove an opinion. I'm asking you to prove that someone held an opinion, and that that opinion shaped their actions in a certain way. Specifically, that these kids were motivated by racist opinions, and that wearing these shirts was the result of racist opinions. So far, all we have are your unsubstantiated allusions to this; what we need is proof that they held these opinions.

This brings me to my second point: an opinion may not be proven, but it may be unreasonable or reasonable, or well-supported or poorly-supported. Right now, your opinion about their opinion is poorly supported, because you haven't offered any evidence supporting it. It would be unreasonable for us to listen to you, which is why we aren't.

Ah. So now you are going to construct elaborate strawmen instead of actually arguing what I did say?
You said that they were being "bigoted idiots by obviously using it as a form of incitement and provocation against a group of people who were simply celebrating their heritage one day a year," and that it was "planned beforehand." Bigotry against an ethnic group+planning = racist plan. Summarizing that as "this is part of a racist plan!" is not a strawman in the slightest -- it's exactly what you said.

Saying that I have to "prove" my personal opinions is actually the "silly" part. You certainly never do, nor does anybody else.
The "it's my opinion! You can't ask me to prove it!" defense is incredibly lame. For starters, it's a new addition -- you haven't really used it earlier in the thread, it's taken nearly a dozen pages before it's become clear that you have no real evidence, so you have to take a different tact. Additionally, it's lame because you're misunderstanding: I'm not asking you to "prove your opinions" in the sense that I think all your opinions have to be justifiable to everyone; I'm asking you to give cogent reasons why anyone at all should listen to you, why your opinions are worth the energy it takes to transmit them from your computer to CFC OT to my computer screen. You're entitled to opinions without reasons behind them if you like, but don't expect anyone else to respect them or agree with you. So if you have reasons for your opinions on the subject based on evidence, then you should share them.

Can you explain why you didn't actually read what I have posted in this thread before repeatedly personally attacking me?
This is the other lame tactic that you commonly employ -- accusing the other person of not actually having read what you've written. Unfortunately, I actually have read what you've said. Every post of yours in this entire thread. It's still not clear to me on what basis you don't think children in school should have no First Amendment rights at all. (You've stated that they don't, but you have not explained why that is, and why it is reasonable to believe such a thing) To repeat myself yet again: I've read what you've said, but you have no offered any halfway decent justification for your statements thusfar.

Forma, please, either offer a justification for your beliefs, or don't bother responding to my post. As a matter of fact, don't bother responding to my posts in any thread in the future, unless you're willing to back up the opinion expressed in your response with evidence or some form of sound reasoning. If all that backs up your opinion is the fact that it's your opinion (and that apparently makes it somehow unassailable) then I'm not interested in it. I am actually only interested in well-reasoned and well-supported ideas. If yours fall into those category, then please, show me and I will welcome them. If not...well, either change, or stop posting, and save us both some time.

First, I'm not asking you to prove an opinion. I'm asking you to prove that someone held an opinion, and that that opinion shaped their actions in a certain way. Specifically, that these kids were motivated by racist opinions, and that wearing these shirts was the result of racist opinions. So far, all we have are your unsubstantiated allusions to this; what we need is proof that they held these opinions.
Why do you think the two groups committed quite similar acts? Sheer coincidence?

And what sort of "proof" that was their actual motivation can I use? Can I waterboard them until they admit it? :lol:

From the article I posted yesterday:

"There has always been racial tension, even when I went here," Camacho said, sitting in a car outside the school. She said she felt what the boys did on Cinco de Mayo was wrong. "Some people need to learn a little racial sensitivity," she added. "I think it was planned, and I think it was discriminatory."
You are trying to make it sound like I'm the only person who can perceive the obvious! Did you watch the video of the kid in the wheelchair? :lol:

Right now, your opinion about their opinion is poorly supported, because you haven't offered any evidence supporting it. It would be unreasonable for us to listen to you, which is why we aren't.
You aren't "listening to me"? Then why do you continue to try to turn this thread into an obvious personal attack instead of addressing the issues? :lol:

Right This is the other lame tactic that you commonly employ -- accusing the other person of not actually having read what you've written.
It's not a "lame tactic" at all given that you have completely failed to do so while making yet another personal attack!:lol:

From page 2 of this thread:

If you are talking about adults in a public forum, I would completely agree with you.

But this is a public school where there is no real freedom of speech. It is all controlled by the authorities, e.g. the principal, vice principal, their staff, and all the teachers. They place restrictions on those rights to have a safe and open atmosphere for all the students to learn.

That is why you cannot disrupt a lecture on a subject which you personally disagree and start a demonstration. You have no choice but to listen to it. You can raise your hand to make a comment or ask a question. But it is entirely up to the discretion of the teacher if he ever calls on you.

The same goes for your attire. They have the authority to deem that any clothing is too disruptive or improper for the circumstances. I personally think this goes too far in a lot of cases, but I can't claim to know enough about this particular situation to even think about arriving at a completely satisfactory conclusion based on what we know so far. It seeems their intent was to disrupt school activities.
Did you miss this exchange on this very page?

Originally Posted by Traitorfish

Alright. I can accept that compromise. They are clearly one or the other.

Don't tell me you completely overlooked what I actually posted in your apparent rush to judgement while engaging in repetitive personal attacks, merely because I seem to disagree with your own personal opinions? Why don't you try addressing the issues for a change?

Top Bottom