Speculation: New patch and/or DLC on the 21st of november

Experience with Civ 3 and Civ 4 tells me the following civs will make it into the game eventually:
The Byzantines, the Zulu, the Celts, the Dutch, Portugal, Carthage and Maya. They weren't in the core game but got added in an expansion (which I would buy if it really expands the game).
The Problem with the Carthage, Portugal and the Dutchis -apart from the eurocentrism- that we have pretty much exhausted the venues for useful maritime traits. I don't bother with DLC, so I don't know how good or bad Polynesia and Denmark are, but I expect a weak trait will be balanced by good UUs and UBs (then again England is pretty useless even with Longbowmen). They could also get trade related abilities, but that would call for foreign trade or something similar to BtS corporations.

Belgium's UU would be Dr. Evil (+20 :c5science:, :c5strength: 28) - right? And, inasmuch as there are complaints about the British UU's Firaxis could change one of them to Austin Powers (-10 :c5science:, +8:c5happy:, :c5rangedstrength: 18). :lol:

Groovy. Smashing! :lol: Seriously, what I would do is give them some type of fort type improvement or defensive bonus of some sort. There is the little episode in the Congo colony as well. Far from humanitarian!

The Problem with the Carthage, Portugal and the Dutchis -apart from the eurocentrism- that we have pretty much exhausted the venues for useful maritime traits. I don't bother with DLC, so I don't know how good or bad Polynesia and Denmark are, but I expect a weak trait will be balanced by good UUs and UBs (then again England is pretty useless even with Longbowmen). They could also get trade related abilities, but that would call for foreign trade or something similar to BtS corporations.
Yeah, you're right about them, alhough the civs mentioned could also be used for a commerce trait instead of a naval trait.

Experience with Civ 3 and Civ 4 tells me the following civs will make it into the game eventually:
The Byzantines, the Zulu, the Celts, the Dutch, Portugal, Carthage and Maya. They weren't in the core game but got added in an expansion (which I would buy if it really expands the game).
If civilizations that I don't want,are later released in DLC,I will still buy them,because more civilizations=more fun and a better game.

Carthaginian culture was more Phoenician, not European.
Although you are right about the traits.

Yeah, you're right about them, alhough the civs mentioned could also be used for a commerce trait instead of a naval trait.

That could work.
For Carthage we could focus on mercenaries.
For Dutch we could (maybe we should poll the real dutch on this :lol:) focus on their "homeland" achievements instead of colonization.
Portugal would have to be a commerce trait though.

I agree the Zulu Empire will come next. Its logical, "metric;)" and most likely. A lot of players use a world map and there is still a blank spot on the world-map, that could commercial successfully filled. Also modern South Africa follow the tradition of the zulu, so a zulu civ could not only represent the historical zulu under Shaka. So UB could be a modern World Cup stadium, at the side of the UU Impi.

Another civ i have not seen in this thread of speculations is Sweden. The fact that the developer released Denmark, with a Norwegian UU, instead of the Vikings, let me presume that they would bring the Swedish Empire under Gustav Adolf or Karl XII.

As a fill of the other blank spot on the world-map North America, i suggest the Mississippian culture.

Also i could imagine that they are trying to give us some more era-specific civs like the Soviet Union, Sparta and Goths in addition to the above notified in this thread...like Celts, Carthage, Portugal

I agree the Zulu Empire will come next. Its logical, "metric;)" and most likely. A lot of players use a world map and there is still a blank spot on the world-map, that could commercial successfully filled. Also modern South Africa follow the tradition of the zulu, so a zulu civ could not only represent the historical zulu under Shaka. So UB could be a modern World Cup stadium, at the side of the UU Impi.
Very possible.
Enough with the metric jokes.
Another civ i have not seen in this thread of speculations is Sweden. The fact that the developer released Denmark, with a Norwegian UU, instead of the Vikings, let me presume that they would bring the Swedish Empire under Gustav Adolf or Karl XII.
No.Sorry.
For its population and size, I think Scandinavia needs only 1 civ.
As a fill of the other blank spot on the world-map North America, i suggest the Mississippian culture.
Sure, but we need a lot more civs before we get the Mississippi in.
Also i could imagine that they are trying to give us some more era-specific civs like the Soviet Union, Sparta and Goths in addition to the above notified in this thread...like Celts, Carthage, Portugal
Not even 1% possible.
Its never been done and ever will for good reasons.

Belgium's UU would be Dr. Evil (+20 :c5science:, :c5strength: 28) - right? And, inasmuch as there are complaints about the British UU's Firaxis could change one of them to Austin Powers (-10 :c5science:, +8:c5happy:, :c5rangedstrength: 18). :lol:

Or
UB: Waffle house
+1 :c5happy: per waffle resource
:lol:

Seriously though, we could do
UA: Colonial Masters
+1 :c5unhappy: per city on a different continent.
Double resources on different continent.

As a Dutch person I'm strongly in favour for a UA that represents some unique achievements in the homeland.

I could imagine something focussing on water engineering abilities. A UA that allows you to drain lakes and turn them into fertile new lands or perhaps canals that connect trade routes through rivers.

As a Dutch person I'm strongly in favour for a UA that represents some unique achievements in the homeland.

I could imagine something focussing on water engineering abilities. A UA that allows you to drain lakes and turn them into fertile new lands or perhaps canals that connect trade routes through rivers.

the basic game play question to ask is tall or wide?
Make them a civ that promotes little expansion and growth or fast, overseas expansion?
Could we combine the 2?

Very possible.
Enough with the metric jokes.

thanks

ShahJahanII said:
No.Sorry.
For its population and size, I think Scandinavia needs only 1 civ.

All other discussed civs with more populations are already in game. You also have the space problems with Maya, Portugal, Celts,..., if you see it for a world-map game.

ShahJahanII said:
Sure, but we need a lot more civs before we get the Mississippi in.

It could be a fresh alternative for the Sioux, but you are right the Sioux more likely.

ShahJahanII said:
Not even 1% possible.
Its never been done and ever will for good reasons.

I dont understand your comment. After your condition they couldnt bring any more new civs?

It could be a fresh alternative for the Sioux, but you are right the Sioux more likely.
What I meant was, the Dutch, Zulu, Portuguese, Carthaginians, Mayans (I want Kongo and Majapahit) need to be in before the Sioux.
But they would still make a great addition.
I dont understand your comment. After your condition they couldnt bring any more new civs?
What condition?
I want more civs but no Modern ones or ones that are basically the same culture as already existing civs.
Do we need Prussia AND Germany?
No.
Do we need Russia AND the Soviet Union?
No.

What I meant was, the Dutch, Zulu, Portuguese, Carthaginians, Mayans (I want Kongo and Majapahit) need to be in before the Sioux.
But they would still make a great addition.

ok, than we were arranged, because i only bring the Mississippian culture into play as new fill for North America instead of Sioux, like Siam instead of Khmer.

What condition?
I want more civs but no Modern ones or ones that are basically the same culture as already existing civs.
Do we need Prussia AND Germany?
No.
Do we need Russia AND the Soviet Union?
No.

prussia is already represent by bismarck, the russian civ has nothing from the SU; Sparta was not a part of Alexanders Empire. What civ you wanna give the Goths? To Spain?

ok, than we were arranged, because i only bring the Mississippian culture into play as new fill for North America instead of Sioux, like Siam instead of Khmer.
So you agree with me?
I think it would only be fair to include Sioux as well as Iroqouis.
prussia is already represent by bismarck, the russian civ has nothing from the SU; Sparta was not a part of Alexanders Empire. What civ you wanna give the Goths? To Spain?
Leader's don't represent all of the civ.
If that were true we wouldn't have Landschnekts and Bismarck in one civ.
Maybe we could add a 2nd Russian leader for a more Communist feel?
As for Goths, lets not cut straight to the more discrete civs.
Lets have the civs I mentioned before first.

The Phoenicians were Europeans. Their language was very similar to early Irish-Celtic.

Were they?
I apologize for my earlier statement.

No they weren't. This guy is messing with you. Phoenician and Punic are Semitic languages, similar to Hebrew, Aramaic and Arabic. The Phoenician culture was very much a Near-Eastern/Levantine culture and the Punic culture was something of a blend of that and North African traditions.

I always thought that they were just an aggregation of small chiefdoms grouped together by cultural traits? Am I mistaken about this? Also, their culture is mostly similar to mesoamerican civs - and we have a major civ there that hasn't yet been introduced (Maya).

Regardless, almost no one will recognize the Mississippian culture. I think the game would be better off using Cherokee - their most well known descendants. The Cherokee adapted extremely well to colonization, formalizing their language - including creating a written language and developing a modern society. They even successfully argued before the US Supreme Court to prevent Andrew Jackson from evicting them from their home. Of course, he ignored the supreme court and evicted them to Oklahoma anyway - the trail of tears :eek: - but thats beside the point. They could have a UA related to their ability to adapt.

I would love to see the Sioux or Cheyenne under Crazy Horse (the guy who defeated Custer). As long as Sitting Bull isn't the leader, I'd be happy.

Top Bottom