Speculation: New patch and/or DLC on the 21st of november

No they weren't. This guy is messing with you. Phoenician and Punic are Semitic languages, similar to Hebrew, Aramaic and Arabic. The Phoenician culture was very much a Near-Eastern/Levantine culture and the Punic culture was something of a blend of that and North African traditions.

That is what I thought.
The Celts were from Western Europe.

No they weren't. This guy is messing with you. Phoenician and Punic are Semitic languages, similar to Hebrew, Aramaic and Arabic. The Phoenician culture was very much a Near-Eastern/Levantine culture and the Punic culture was something of a blend of that and North African traditions.

actually that is wrong too. nobody know for sure. there is no real prove for either of those theories.

The Phoenicians were Europeans. Their language was very similar to early Irish-Celtic.

No this is not true. they spoke Phoenician, a Canaanite dialect. Not even close to Celtic. Phoenicia was an ancient civilization in Canaan which covered most of the western, coastal part of the Fertile Crescent. Several major Phoenician cities were built on the coastline of the Mediterranean. It was an enterprising maritime trading culture that spread across the Mediterranean from 1550 BC to 300 BC. Phoenicia was the precursor civilization to the civilization, which later was known as Carthage. Which developed from a Phoenician colony of the 1st millennium BC.

There were Celtic groups in Spain and Switzerland as well.
I doubt they were from the Middle East.
Austria is not in the middle east :p (prob little typo?)

A little map swohing Celtic expanse/migration

Yellow is 6th century BC, (light) green is the maximal Celtic expansion, by 275 BC (including indeed Spain)

Zulu only left of the original civs? Dutch anyone? But I agree to keep this already slowing game from fully stopping/stagnating is to introduce differing/new game mechanics and improve already existing ones.

So basically the German source who is usually correct hasn't said anything, so basically nothing is coming...

Sometime near the end of November is my guess for something new. Certainly by Xmas! ;)

Austria is not in the middle east :p (prob little typo?)

A little map swohing Celtic expanse/migration

Yellow is 6th century BC, (light) green is the maximal Celtic expansion, by 275 BC (including indeed Spain)

I never said Austria was in the Middle East.
I was referring to an earlier comment that called the Phoenicians a Celtic culture.

The Phoenicians were Europeans. Their language was very similar to early Irish-Celtic.

That could not be more factually wrong. It was a Semitic language like Hebrew, Arabic, Aramaic, Egyptian, etc., not Indo-European.

Punic (Western Phoenician/Carthaginian)

Phoenician Language

Their language is middle eastern in origin from the Afrosemitic group, not the Indo-European group like Celtic.

actually that is wrong too. nobody know for sure. there is no real prove for either of those theories.

That is not true as well. This can be figured out by examining similar shared words and shared word roots from other languages. This really isn't a mystery. The weak vowels is a strong indicator by itself (something usually associated with Semitic languages). Greek essentially had to take several Phoenician consonants and turn them into vowels in order to use their script (the Phoenician alphabet lacks vowels, iirc).

what about the Slavics, Tibet or Moscowy?

That could not be more factually wrong. It was a Semitic language like Hebrew, Arabic, Aramaic, Egyptian, etc., not Indo-European.

Punic (Western Phoenician/Carthaginian)

Phoenician Language

Their language is middle eastern in origin from the Afrosemitic group, not the Indo-European group like Celtic.

That is not true as well. This can be figured out by examining similar shared words and shared word roots from other languages.

That does not make it a fact. there is hundreds of what they thought was dialects, but turned out to be languages spoken by tribes from different continents. neither of those languages are spoken today though

would be fun to add Laps and Norway, and make a scenario where you won when all Laps was gone...kidding

Moderator Action: If you'd like to discuss what civs you'd like as DLC, please use this thread.
If you'd like to discuss history, please use this forum.
This thread is about speculation, so please attempt to preserve the narrow distinction between 'what I would like' and 'what I think there will be'. Will there be DLC? Will there be a patch?

Well, I think the original poster is on to something with this theory. Although I guess I haven't been paying attention, did it go straight from Korea DLC or has there been nothing there for awhile? In other words, it's suggestive, but I wouldn't say strongly suggestive and it depends on the context.

As for which Civ, I've tried to figure out a pattern in the past. Short of the German inside source, I've just tried to go by region and by playstyle. We've just done a peaceful Civ, so a warmongering Civ makes some sense (although they don't necessarily alternate). We've just had Asia and Europe, so Africa/Middle East or North America makes sense.

I could see an argument for the Zulu based on my criteria. I could also see the Maya. Finally, I could see Carthage (straddles the line between Africa, the Middle East, and Europe). Carthage might be difficult to get a voice actor, though (I would pray they don't use Tunisian Arabic). Some argument could be made for Ethiopia (I'd prefer them over the Zulu, btw). They also might not be as interested in patterns as I am, so who knows?

binhthuy71, this is a bit of conjecture, but Parthia seems to be explicitly included under Persia based on the achievement (from Achaemenids to Safavids or something like that), which seems to include all of Iranian history before the Shahs and the Iranian Revolution. More room for Khmer. Angkor isn't a city-state, so that helps. I am guessing that both Khmer and Mali are excluded by picking similar neighboring Civs (this seems to be a deliberate distinction between 4 and 5, not a coincidence).

As for which Civ, I've tried to figure out a pattern in the past. Short of the German inside source, I've just tried to go by region and by playstyle. We've just done a peaceful Civ, so a warmongering Civ makes some sense (although they don't necessarily alternate). We've just had Asia and Europe, so Africa/Middle East or North America makes sense.

This does make for interesting thought, and if we look at all the DLC civilizations thus far:

Africa - 0
Asia - 2 (Korea, Mongolia)
Americas - 1 (Inca)
Europe - 2 (Denmark, Spain)
Middle East - 1 (Babylon)
Oceania / Australia - 1 (Polynesia)

This shows an astounding lack in Africa, which is also repeated when the Vanilla civs are included

Africa - 1 (Songhai)
Asia - 6 (China, India, Japan, Korea, Mongolia, Siam)
Americas - 3 (Aztec, Inca, Iroquois)
Europe - 9 (America1, Denmark, England, France, Germany, Greece, Rome, Russia, Spain)
Middle East - 5 (Arabia, Babylon, Egypt2, Ottomans, Persia)
Oceania / Australia - 1 (Polynesia)

1 - Included as part of Europe due to culture being more European and indeed began as a colonial settlement.
2 - Included as part of Middle East due to being more similar to Middle Eastern civilizations than the rest of Africa

If we look at this list, and eliminate Oceania / Australia due to the Civ 4 Native Americans style of the Polynesian civilization, we see that there is a massive ammount of Eurasian civs - a grand total of 15 / 25, a whopping 60%, of all current civilizations, compared to just 1 in Africa. This would surely indicate the next Civilization(s) to be released will be African.

There is a European civ-esque slant in favour of Domination victory as well -

Denmark, Mongolia, Japan, Aztec, China, Germany, Songhai are all typical dominations.

This would indicate a war-like civ would not be sought after as the next, and leads me to believe, along with the popularity of them in polls at the 2K forums, that the next civilizations would be peaceful African, such as Kongo or Zimbabwe.

So I agree that playstyle and region are typically the best way to determine future DLC, although past favourites also pop up occasionally (Spain, VikingsDenmark, Mongolia)

Past Civ practice has been to combine Africa and the Middle East as one region, which would make the total there 6. I'd ideally like to stick Polynesia under an established area, but they don't nearly fit under anything (maybe Asia).

I think playstyle is a good way of looking, but it's typically more specific - what Civ would be a unique experience. Except Korea, that was to boost sales in Korea (but it was clear we needed another Science civ). I know it's Europe, but another commerce civ to go with the Arabs would make sense and the Dutch, as a naval commerce civ, would be an ideal fit. I've talked to death in the past about my ideas to make them unique, so I won't bother here. I personally don't want another European Civ so soon, but I could see that as a possibility.

I know that's been past civ practice, but in reality they're so different to Sub-saharan Africa it seems bizarre to include them.

If you wanted an economic civ, why not Zimbabwe? Builder/economic hasn't been done yet, and they were a large Economic power in Southern Africa.

They need an Australian civ.

Complete with Saxton Hale as national leader.:king:

Top Bottom