Votes: 23 27.4%
  • I'm from Europe and can't drive Stick

Votes: 3 3.6%
  • I'm from US and can drive Stick

Votes: 35 41.7%
  • I'm from Europe and can drive Stick

Votes: 23 27.4%

• Total voters
I drive a manual. I don't know anyone who can only drive automatics, but that's how it's done in the UK

You guys are just crazy. Not only do you have to drive stick - but you do it with left hand.

I drive a manual. I don't know anyone who can only drive automatics, but that's how it's done in the UK: Everyone learns to drive a manual (AFAIK, or at least if automatic learning is an option, it's very very rare). My grandfather drives an automatic but that's to make it easier for him as he is 85.

In Spain you have to pass the driving test with your teacher's car, which is always a manual. In the USA, OTOH, you can use your own car to take the practical driving test, and that can be an automatic, and I guess many people use an automatic because is much easier to drive, hence, to pass the test.

Real men drive stick shifts. And so do I.

I learned to drive in a manual 1978 Rabbit. I've never owned a car with an automatic transmission. I'm the type of person that gives people hell for "driving" cars with automatics. I can't stand 'em. You have less control over the car.

The most obnoxious thing about automatic transmissions is, if you're used to a manual, you're prone to hit the brake like it's the clutch when you go for a quick stop. I always warn the people in the car about this, if I have to drive someone else's car. It's pretty silly.

But I was driving a friend's car in 5mph traffic a few weeks ago, and I realized the appeal of the automatic transmission. Heavy traffic is a breeze. (I'm not trading, though.)

Real men drive stick shifts. And so do I.

I learned to drive in a manual 1978 Rabbit. I've never owned a car with an automatic transmission. I'm the type of person that gives people hell for "driving" cars with automatics. I can't stand 'em. You have less control over the car.

Have I told you lately that you're cool? :)

The most obnoxious thing about automatic transmissions is, if you're used to a manual, you're prone to hit the brake like it's the clutch when you go for a quick stop. I always warn the people in the car about this, if I have to drive someone else's car. It's pretty silly.

To solve this problem, I quite literally shut the door on my shoelaces in such a way that I can't reach the pedals with my left food, so I can't do that, because otherwise I would do as you described.

In Spain you have to pass the driving test with your teacher's car, which is always a manual. In the USA, OTOH, you can use your own car to take the practical driving test, and that can be an automatic, and I guess many people use an automatic because is much easier to drive, hence, to pass the test.

US driving test is a joke, same goes for the written test, when compared to European equivalents. That's a big part of the reason why, despite the fact that our highways are twice as big as the ones in Europe, we have way more traffic problems. People drive like total a..es. Hijacking the left line seems to be the most common problem here. In general, from my travels, I've noticed Europeans are much better drivers than your typical American.

I drive manual because it's about 1000 dollars cheaper and a hell of alot more engaging than automatic.

Im from Canada by the way. I was tempted to check the US option but out of principle I abstained from voting.

Have I told you lately that you're cool? :)

To solve this problem, I quite literally shut the door on my shoelaces in such a way that I can't reach the pedals with my left food, so I can't do that, because otherwise I would do as you described.
Can't do that in the UK as the driver seat is on the right, and the clutch on the left... maybe I'd have to tie it to the gear stick? :p

if you're used to a manual, you're prone to hit the brake like it's the clutch when you go for a quick stop.
I'm glad I'm not alone on this one. It's true. For about 40 seconds I thought my bosses car had broken down on me when I was trying to ease off the brake and apply the gas.

I drive a stick but for the 1/4 track and a street legal ( not necessarily streetable) I'd want a nice built up auto with a high rev. stall converter, re-proportioned actuator servos, shift plate bored out to allow for faster harder shifts. Double clutching in traffic is not fun, trust me.

I can drive a stick. My dad left me an old 325i with a manual. It's a lot more fun to drive than my Accord. Has zip and controllable zip. My accord just kinda... goes.

I'm glad I'm not alone on this one. It's true. For about 40 seconds I thought my bosses car had broken down on me when I was trying to ease off the brake and apply the gas.

I haven't driven an auto in years, and only need to do it on rare occasions with my gf's ride. Whenever it happens, I get this weird, sinking feeling when I try to press the clutch, and my left foot is just flying through the air. It also feels strange when you come to a full stop with your foot on the brake, and the car doesn't stall, or that it just goes off on its own after you let it go.

I practice with a left-handed stick and a right-handed auto! :D

Genius. Unfortunately, unless it's winter I don't usually have shoelaces. But once it's cold again, I'll have to try this.

Another benefit of the manual over the automatic! It's more engaging. Not so much when cruising on the highway, but generally, it's harder to drive and talk on the phone and eat your breakfast and shave and so on... you don't forget to drive.

Here's a list of things that are way easier with automatic transmission:
1. Uphill starts.
2. Uphill parallel parking.
3. Launching in snow.

You guys are just crazy. Not only do you have to drive stick - but you do it with left hand.

You think it is harder? Personally I would rather steer with my good hand (right) and change gear with my left. Surely steering is more critical that changing gear?

[EDIT]
Here's a list of things that are way easier with automatic transmission:
1. Uphill starts.
2. Uphill parallel parking.
3. Launching in snow.
And here is a list of things that are way easier in a stick:
1:Going round corners (when traction is an issue)
2:Accelerating into a small gap in trafic
3:Overtaking
4:Engine braking
5:Driving ecconomically

Top Bottom