Strategy discussions

I'm ok with libraries. Are we still planning to build the Lighthouse in Beizjagd? If so, we should just build a palace prebuild there. After some libraries are complete we should produce settlers in a different city so Aerie can build one (as well as a harbour and dromons).

I had the impression that the team was not so fond of The Great Lighthouse, when I tried to promote it.

I don't see us getting into a real war anytime soon. We will need a handful of dromons to bring settlers to other islands as our land fills up but not more than that.

IMO workers & settlers >> infrastructure >> dromons & military

Whenever a city lacks the population to build settlers/workers which appears to be exactly what you are already doing :).

Unfortunately, we are building way too many Workers and not enough Settlers.

Unfortunately, we are building way too many Workers and not enough Settlers.

Actually, next turn we are going to have 11 towns and 11 workers. We are not industrious. Thus, we do not have too many workers!

Libraries are fine with me as well. Like others have said, I don't see us getting attacked in the near future.

We will need Dromon producing cities and some point in the early middle ages though, so we can intervene in/invade the other continent.

We will need Dromon producing cities and some point in the early middle ages though, so we can intervene in/invade the other continent.

I have the idea of builing habors/Dromons in Tuscan Talon and Beizjagd right after they completed their libraries. This allows them to grow and generate more commerce.

Yes, harbours then dromons. Is it possible that there is a fasterroute that requires use of sea? Because that would make the Great Lighthouse prospects even more exciting.

After the latest two letters from Anarchie and Knights, I really have problems to see the bext way, how we should continue. Everybody says, their end is near without any support.

Seemingly Kueche is supporting the Knights. Can we get any proof for this? :dunno:

I think maybe the following could be a good path (of course some fine-tuning has to be done :) :

1. We are not going to deal with the Knight, as this would make things even more complicated as they lready are.

2. For now we continue the co-operation with Kueche (lux exchange and as few tech deals as possible). (Any ideas on this?)

3. We co-operate closer with Anarchie (at least tech-wise), which will enhance our pace towards Military Tradition.

4. As Anarchie has no real interest in Chivalry, we have a reason not to research it. We can start with Education, right after they finished Theology and then race towards MT.

5. We kill Kueche and see at that point how the situation is on the other continent.

This is just a very rough plan. But I think it's the basis for our future.

I think Calis's idea with 4 is that we don't research Chivalry because neither us or the Anarchie have any real interest in it. We can then research Education (to obsolete a possible GLib build by the Knights, I believe) following the Anarchie sending us Theology. We then make a tech beeline towards Military Tradition and Cavalry.

First of all we should try to avoid missing out on the compensation that Kuche owes us. Their request for chivalry makes sense now that we know they are China, but that doesn't necessarily mean that they are planning an invasion, only that they could. So we should at least build deterrents for that.

I think the ideal situation would be to have a more or less even fight on the other continent until we are able to intervene. If we were to fight Kuche (based only on Anarchie's predictions at this point), then we are no longer in a position of advantage, as the other continent could become dominant. What we could do is talk to Kuche about the whole thing, ask them to give up on chivalry seeing as they won't be able to use their UU on the other continent very much. Then we propose a secret agreement where we make it appear as though our alliance has fallen apart, and Kuche approaches the Brotherhood with an alliance offer while we strengthen our ties with Anarchie and go for MT as you suggest. We can even wage a false war with Kuche, trading cities occasionally. Then when we are ready we can invade the war torn other continent.

The Brotherhood and ourselves would research towards MT, while Kuche and Anarchie research towards magnetism (we would not trade with Kuche). Since Kuche will catch the Brotherhood up in tech, the G Lib is no longer a worry, so Anarchie can go for education and astronomy while we beeline for MT. Kuche will follow that path and get the BH to take the same path as us.

At some point as we near MT, we (ourselves and Kuche) betray our respective 'allies' and trade tech with each other, leaving the other continent behind in tech. This might work if we convince Anarchie to hold off on trading tech so we can avoid obsoleting our Dromons. Alternatively we can continue the ruse and invade the other continent while pretending to intervene. Since ours and Kuche's militaries won't be weakened by actually fighting each other, we should be able to gain the upper hand before our 'allies' realize what's going on.

While we figure out what to do, we should send Anarchie a note thanking them for pointing out Kuche's civ and agree with them that something is up and that we are working to defend ourselves. Maybe ask Kuche for some compensation too, and let them know Anarchie is worried.

Vizzini: But it's so simple. All I have to do is divine from what I know of you: are you the sort of man who would put the poison into his own goblet or his enemy's? Now, a clever man would put the poison into his own goblet, because he would know that only a great fool would reach for what he was given. I am not a great fool, so I can clearly not choose the wine in front of you. But you must have known I was not a great fool, you would have counted on it, so I can clearly not choose the wine in front of me.
Man In Black: You've made your decision then?
Vizzini: Not remotely. Because Iocane comes from Australia, as everyone knows, and Australia is entirely peopled with criminals, and criminals are used to having people not trust them, as you are not trusted by me, so I can clearly not choose the wine in front of you.
Man In Black: Truly, you have a dizzying intellect.
Vizzini: WAIT TILL I GET GOING! Where was I?
Man In Black Australia.
Vizzini: Yes, Australia. And you must have suspected I would have known the powder's origin, so I can clearly not choose the wine in front of me.
Man In Black: You're just stalling now.
Vizzini: YOU'D LIKE TO THINK THAT, WOULDN'T YOU? You've beaten my giant, which means you're exceptionally strong, so you could've put the poison in your own goblet, trusting on your strength to save you, so I can clearly not choose the wine in front of you. But, you've also bested my Spaniard, which means you must have studied, and in studying you must have learned that man is mortal, so you would have put the poison as far from yourself as possible, so I can clearly not choose the wine in front of me.
Man In Black: You're trying to trick me into giving away something. It won't work.
Vizzini: IT HAS WORKED! YOU'VE GIVEN EVERYTHING AWAY! I KNOW WHERE THE POISON IS!
Man In Black: Then make your choice.
Vizzini: I will, and I choose-- What in the world can that be?

Vizzini gestures up and away from the table. The Man In Black looks.
Man In Black: What? Where? Vizzini switches the goblets. Turning back. I don't see anything.
Vizzini: Well, I- I could have sworn I saw something. No matter. Smirks.
Man In Black: What's so funny?
Vizzini: I'll tell you in a minute. First, let's drink. Me from my glass,
Picks up glass. and you from yours.
They drink.
Man In Black: Pointing. You guessed wrong.
Vizzini: You only think I guessed wrong! That's what's so funny! I switched glasses when your back was turned! Ha ha! You fool! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Asia, but only slightly less well known is this: never go in against a Sicilian when death is on the line!! Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!! Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!! Ha ha ha-- Stops suddenly, and falls dead, to his right.

3 seems like a good idea. I don't quite get what you mean in 4 though.

First of all, these should not be different option, but a whole idea.

An with four I meant, we have a reason not do deliver Chivalry to Kueche. To not even research it. In our most recent letter we said, we only will research it, if both teams promise to buy and pay for it. Anarchie do not want it. Thus, I believe we can say, we are not going to research it.

1. Don't give any true info to the Anarchy, as we can't verify their info. But we could ask about their "supposed" deals with/for us. Ask for long texts with and about everything. No more tech trading at this point unless something opens up.

2. The BH wasn't supposed to give The Republic to the Anarchy "for free". It was part of the deal. Plus the BH was marching their troops through Anarchy territory (right next to Anarchy cities) just asking for trouble. Now they are saying they can't find "1" nation to trade with them, but the silent Kitchen may be trading Furs to them for a lux and gold. So we may still not be able to believe anything Lanzelot says. But I believe we should open up some backroom discussion with them and try to verify what other nations have said. We should once again open up a line of communication, even if we do not trade anything.

3. The Kitchen only asks for Chivalry. Period. If they are the Chinese, giving them Chivalry would cause our own doom. Luckily, we will not research Chivalry, BUT The Kitchen will, at their own pace. They will attack us, I'm sure of it. Why have they hidden their true Tribe if they weren't going to attack us? Why have they become so quiet? Shouldn't they be telling us of their deal with the BH? Maybe not, but maybe so.

4. We can't wait for Military Tradition to bolster our Military. It is too far away from Fuedalism. We need Pikes and Swords/MDIs now. The Kitchen will change to Military and attack us. They COULD have 10 Swords and 10 Horsemen right now! Whereas we are defenseless! MT is 39 turns away. The Kitchen could have Chivalry in 15 turns easily. If they feel we have left them behind (which we are planning to do) they will attack us. Let's build our Military now and stop trading techs, while keep lines of communication open.

I think short-term, we try to talk Kuche out of Chivalry, but we will research it (as I think we originally agreed to) if they insist. However, I don't think we ever made any promises regarding how fast we would research it. As long as we promise to research it and tell them we are working on it, we prevent them from researching it themselves. Eventually, they will catch on obviously, but we are not completing Feudalism until turn 100, and by the time they realize they will not get Chivalry from us quickly, we should have made it through our Great Worker Merge and be able to build a massive military in a hurry.

So, Kuche doesn't care if we research Chivalry, and they will research it themselves. Now our goal should be to reach Military Tradition with a decent tech lead over Kuche, while not giving Kuche any incentive to attack us early while they have Chivalry and we don't :hmm:. Meanwhile, we want to make sure we don't help Anarchie too much against the Brotherhood :hmm::hmm:.

Top Bottom