Suggestions and requests

Yeah... but it's not too late. It's your choose. If you want to play more, just take an earlier civilization and then flip to Australia.

Or maybe, add next war techs to DoC to go more in the future, and have more turns for late civilizations. I don't know. I don't think it's a great idea...

Almost nobody play to 1900s unless they're Japan or Prussia, mostly because of the frustrating waiting time to end a turn. Moreover, more civilization = more waiting turn. It has been suggested before (the same with Canada), and has been shot down too.

P.S: You're free to create your own modmod out of DoC, I think. Just ask Leoreth in the Modmod thread if you need help making the DoC: Next War modmodmod :)

Just ask Leoreth in the Modmod thread if you need help making the DoC: Next War modmodmod :)

(!)

I would play that modmod. In fact I might even help create it...

Shouldn't rubber be a resource ? given its strategic importance, I don't see why there isn't a rubber resource in the game. Rubber was one of the decisive resources for World War two.
... it probably should. I guess tanks would require it? The problem is we need a lot of rubber resources then.

too late. When should it spawn? 1900s?

1931, when the Statute of Westminster British dominions allowed dominions to pursue their own foreign policy. Or 1901 when the separate colonies became a federated state, maybe starting as a vassal to the biggest colonial power in Australia if possible?
Almost nobody play to 1900s unless they're Japan or Prussia, mostly because of the frustrating waiting time to end a turn. Moreover, more civilization = more waiting turn. It has been suggested before (the same with Canada), and has been shot down too.

P.S: You're free to create your own modmod out of DoC, I think. Just ask Leoreth in the Modmod thread if you need help making the DoC: Next War modmodmod :)

Some do, same as not everyone plays for UHVs. Don't see it being implemented because of the late start and probable lack of UHVs, but they'd be reasonably fun to play for those who play into the future and would like to try their hand at making Australia a superpower to rival the worlds best.

Australia, the world's only potential potential super power.

I'd like to know if anyone's suggested moving war elephants from Construction to Animal Husbandry. If not I'd like to make this suggestion now. India gets elephants unhistorically late, and "Construction" technology has nothing to do with techniques of training war elephants. Animal husbandry should be enough to train elephants after exploiting ivory through hunting tech.

If an early elephant rush seems like a OP *( I personally don't think it is OP ) then an elephant sub-unit may be made as an unarmored war elephant and a separate armored elephant can be made with strength of 12 instead of 8 available with construction and twice as expensive requiring ivory+Iron. But this may be taken only as a secondary suggestion. Primarily I'd like elephants shifted to Animal Husbandry.

I'd like to know if anyone's suggested moving war elephants from Construction to Animal Husbandry. If not I'd like to make this suggestion now. India gets elephants unhistorically late, and "Construction" technology has nothing to do with techniques of training war elephants. Animal husbandry should be enough to train elephants after exploiting ivory through hunting tech.

If an early elephant rush seems like a OP *( I personally don't think it is OP ) then an elephant sub-unit may be made as an unarmored war elephant and a separate armored elephant can be made with strength of 12 instead of 8 available with construction and twice as expensive requiring ivory+Iron. But this may be taken only as a secondary suggestion. Primarily I'd like elephants shifted to Animal Husbandry.

Elephants with Animal Husbandry doesn't make much sense. I think it should be with Horseback Riding. Anyway India will get them late. Maybe india could have a new UU wich are modified Elephants, that are discovered with animal husbandry.

Point is India should have large armies of elephants when facing the Greeks and Persians. Persians never fielded armies of elephants even when Alexander fought them only a token force of elephants were deployed. India fielded hordes of elephants. The game should reflect this if it is to be historical. But I get this weird feeling that for India historical and geographical accuracy is thrown into the dustbin :p .

(+1) to the Animal Husbandry. In my opinion, elephants for the Africa, South and Southeast Asian civilization as military unit is as important as horse for the European civilization.
Why? Because there's (naturally) no elephants in Europe; vice versa.

I don't have any comment on India, but the "hordes of elephants" seems like hyperbole to me.
I would've understood it better had you said something like "dedicated elephant divisions" as realistically, you can only field so many elephants on the field at once (in an IRL context pertaining to individual battles).
Not to mention, like I said before in the Master Map Thread, it is not as if horses were not in use by states on the subcontinent as well.
But bear in mind that the War Elephant is a very solid unit in the early game.
Consider that a C1+Shock War Elephant (very easily buildable at just 5XP) has no hard counters.
I don't believe it should be reduced in STR either as it serves a number of good roles for the transition between Ancient/Classical to Medieval warfare:
1) All civilizations not named Arabia who need to fight against the Seljuks or Mongols require War Elephants as their baseline counter vs. Ghulams/Keshiks in the event you can't have Riflemen or Cuirassiers ready.
2) They can be flexibly included in a typical medieval stack with Crossbows & Maces.
They may not be as useful as Pikes on the defense but at least they're not terrible at offense either.
Both roles which really hinge on its 8 STR.

But I get this weird feeling that for India historical and geographical accuracy is thrown into the dustbin :p .
Seeing your proposal in the map change thread, that's probably for the better.

My 2 cents:

War Elephants IMO are useless, because they come too late. However, I think making them require Animal husbandry and/or nerfing them because of that would trainwreck the current balance that there is. Simply moving War Elephants to Horseback Riding seems to most balanced because it is not too late, but also not too early and needing of a nerf.

As for Carthages's UU, it could be moved to require only Masonry, Animal Husbandry, and Agriculture, or it could be changed back to the Bireme.

My 2 cents:

War Elephants IMO are useless, because they come too late. However, I think making them require Animal husbandry and/or nerfing them because of that would trainwreck the current balance that there is. Simply moving War Elephants to Horseback Riding seems to most balanced because it is not too late, but also not too early and needing of a nerf.

+1.

As for Carthages's UU, it could be moved to require only Masonry, Animal Husbandry, and Agriculture, or it could be changed back to the Bireme.

Let's really not go back to that dark time.

All mounted units, expect Chariots, requires Horseback Riding... including War Elephants.

All mounted units, expect Chariots, requires Horseback Riding... including War Elephants.

Well yes, I think everyone here is aware of that, the question is whether to leave Construction as additional requirement or not.

The logical question in re the Elephant - Construction requirement is, what is it supposed to represent ? What does knowledge of 'Construction' have to do with training Elephants for war ? Building Catapults I can understand, but elephants ? Animal husbandry should be enough to give a civ knowledge to train elephants as long as they have access to ivory. I'd like all ivory to be concentrated only in 'wet' regions of the world, leaving Iran out. Persia would trade with India for ivory which feels more real.

On a different note, I checked wiki for "floodplains" and checked the different 'Floodplains' of the world. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Floodplain . All the major floodplains listed here should be represented in my opinion as far as possible. China should definitely get the Hwang Ho floodplains. This also makes Beijing more powerful and populous ( I tried a game with floodplains in the 'Yellow' River ) .

The last thing China needs is a buff. At least, before it's UP obsoleting. Now, maybe so.

A flood plain plains cottage sounds pretty good, though. 4 :food: 1 :hammers: 2 :commerce: base sounds workable to me.

I'd go with the idea of moving Elephant units to Horseback Riding, but then this gives the Carthaginian elephant too much of an advantage and it doesn't exactly justify why the Carthaginian could train elephants before the indians and with an inferior technology. The same illogic applies to requiring Construction to train elephants. Construction gives you knowledge of how to build Aqueducts, Forts and Catapults. What does that have to do with training elephants for war ? Making the armour ? I thought Iron working should be enough for that. And even then not every king armoured their elephants, only a few did who were farsigted enough and rich enough to afford it.

On a side note, I checked for floodplains in the world, and realized that China has major floodplains as does Brazil. Why is this not represented in the game ? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Floodplain .

I think war elephants shouldn't require construction, but with a reduced strength (6-7 imo) they should have a collateral damage, a mix of horse archer and catapult for some civilizations. in current system, they aren't unique enough.

A couple of things:
1. Have you considered merging Platy's WB?
2. In 1.11 3000BC scenarios, I noticed that Rome is almost always crappy (No wonders). Many other classical wonders also go unbuilt (I grabbed 6 or 7 as the Mayans). Has anyone else noticed this?

Top Bottom