• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

Suggestions for Dynamic Names

Leoreth

Blue Period
I think it's a good idea to collect suggestions for new dynamic names in a separate thread so the discussion doesn't disturb the main suggestion thread.

So please post your suggestions for changes in the dynamic name system here. Don't forget to include the conditions which should trigger this name in your opinion.

Note: I won't use foreign languages, except in the designations of vassal names.

Some thoughts re England game.
The names County of Holland and County of Scandinavia sound a bit daft (from an Englishman’s point of view!). Maybe Duchy of Flanders and Duchy of Stockholm/Oslo (You decide )? As far I know England (on her own) has never administered these areas anyway so maybe just Protectorate of Holland and Protectorate of Norway/Sweden?
Maybe Kingdom of Hannover be replaced with Duchy of Hannover? Seen as the only time (I know of) when England administered any lands in Germany pre WW2, was when George, Duke of Hannover became King George I of England and ruled both lands.
And why not have British North America instead of the thirteen colonies? I’ve seen British North America on maps but I don’t know if that’s what we officially called the territory.

Airstrip One is basically an easter egg.

My first thought of British monarchs ruling parts of Germany was indeed the House of Hanover. My immediate association was the Kingdom of Hanover, but you're right that for the larger part of the personal union, it was the Duchy of Hanover.

For Mongols the khanate vassal names should end at a certain date, or event (collapsing, changing civics,etc...).
Incas under France: Department(s) of Peru.
Italy ruled from Rome under Theocracy (if possible): (The) Papal States.
Portugal without land in Portugal and ruled from Brazil (i.p.): Kingdom/Republic/etc... of Brazil.
Large Republic of England: Commonwealth of Great Britain (instead of England).
Vikings ruled from Oslo/Copenhagen/Stockholm: Kingdom/Republic/etc.. of Norway/Denmark/Sweden respectively.
Also take out the regular names. (e.g. Protectorate of Arabia -> American Arabia etc...)

Italy ruled from Rome under Theocracy (if possible): (The) Papal States.
Vikings ruled from Oslo/Copenhagen/Stockholm: Kingdom/Republic/etc.. of Norway/Denmark/Sweden respectively.
Already is!

Yes, you did very nice work already on the vassal names. Danelaw and the Papal states pleasantly surprised me (I wasn't a theocrat, but my capital was in Rome).
In the unlikely event England (or another colonial nation) moves it's capital out of Britain (If the Germans conquer it, for example), you could change their name according to their new capital's position (South-African Empire, Australian Commonwealth, Kingdom of Canada).

Yeah, something like that would be a good idea for all colonial civs.

I don't know if that would be the best idea. If Britain had lost London during ww2 for example, but then regained it later, it would still be considered as the British Empire, not Canada or one of the other dominions.

Guo means country/kingdom/state (it's a catch all word) and is usually added as a suffix (sort of) to the country name.
Here are some of the Chinese names for other countries so you can replace the generic Tributary [actual name] State and replace them with the Chinese version.

Ying Guo = England
Fa Guo = France
De Guo = Germany
E Guo = Russia
Xi Ban Ya = Spain
Xi La = Greece
Mei Guo = America
Ri Ben = Japan

Note about Japan & China's vassal names for each other.

Wa in its original writing was deemed offensive towards the Japanese,
it was later rendered harmless when the Japanese adopted the Chinese character (He) of Harmony for it.
Shina suffers from the opposite effect; originally, nothing was thought of the term,
but post WW2, it takes on a very derogatory and offensive context.
I'm essentially advocating its removal and have prepared a historical alternative.

If China is pre-Industrial and has Japan as vassal: Wa
If China is post-Industrial and has Japan as vassal: Ri Ben
If China is Capitalist, vassals should have this prefix instead of Tributary: Indebted

I'm only half serious about the last one but it would be funny to see
Indebted Mei State or Indebted Xi La from time to time.

If Japan is not fascist and has China as vassal: Chugoku
If Japan is fascist and has China as vassal: Reorganized National Government of China

Thanks ... the only problem I have is that "Tributary Yin Guo" sounds grammatically wrong at first glace, maybe "Tributary State of Yin Guo" instead?

Yeah, that sounds fine.

I'd like to see the China-Japan specific dynamics added soon too.
Will provide feedback on Corea as soon as I can as well.

Are you taking my Indebted State of [insert country] suggestion too? :lol:

It should be Ying Guo.

E Guo

It should be Wo, as is in the mod now.

At least in standard Mandarin.

Right, my bad, I miss those sometimes.
Thank you for the corrections.

But yeah, we should use the Mandarin pronunciations as the baseline.

EDIT: About E Guo and some assorted pronunciations, it will look and sound weird,
but many of these names are read completely differently because of the tones.
E Guo is not "E" Guo, but pronounced more like "uh" Guo.
That can be rectified by Pinyin, but I'm not sure if you want to add those in, Leoreth.

Bogd Khaanate for a theocratic Mongolia? Although for maximum sense-makingery, Mongolia would have to be Buddhist...

I must say, I am very impressed by the sheer amount of names you have, and all the conditions you can use.

Surprised while seeing so many guys here are good in Chinese;)

However, IMO "Ying" is purely a transposition (and an omission) in pronunciation for the term of "England". It doesn't contain any "additional" meaning such as "Confederation of the Rhine" or "Vichy France". So I guess "Tributary Guo of England" could be enough.

Surprised while seeing so many guys here are good in Chinese;)

I am Chinese-American; I speak English as my native language but I know Hakka & Mandarin, and while I can't speak it,
I can understand Cantonese to some degree. (Unrelated but I've retained a little bit of Spanish that I can help out with)

However, Mandarin isn't my best dialect and I was brought up on mostly Hakka instead,
hence the deficiencies in my Mandarin that Fresol brought up.

However, IMO "Ying" is purely a transposition (and an omission) in pronunciation for the term of "England". It doesn't contain any "additional" meaning such as "Confederation of the Rhine" or "Vichy France". So I guess "Tributary Guo of England" could be enough.

Let's try to isolate some combinations then and have a vote;
Using England as a baseline here:

1. Tributary Ying Guo State.
2. Tributary State of Ying Guo.
3. Tributary Guo of England.
4. Chinese England.
5. Tributary Ying State.
6. Tributary Guo of Ying.

Feel free to add more suggestions.

I am Chinese-American; I speak English as my native language but I know Hakka & Mandarin, and while I can't speak it,
I can understand Cantonese to some degree. (Unrelated but I've retained a little bit of Spanish that I can help out with)

However, Mandarin isn't my best dialect and I was brought up on mostly Hakka instead,
hence the deficiencies in my Mandarin that Fresol brought up.

My grandfather is Hakka descendant. Unfortunately I can hardly speak Hakka:sad:

Let's try to isolate some combinations then and have a vote;
Using England as a baseline here:

4. Chinese England.
5. Tributary Ying State.

Maybe "Tributary Guo of Ying" could also be a choice.:)

4. Chinese England.
5. Tributary Ying State.
6. Tributary Guo of Ying.
I vote for 5, along the same lines as "Tributary Anxi State".

I thought Leoreth said no foreign languages in dynamic names?

Anyway I regard Pinyin as a total failure compared to Wade-Giles.

Top Bottom