Team CFC: Folding@Home project

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's something that happened to me recently. It seemed like I wasn't getting credit for all my WU, but I didn't see anything I could do about it. Then last time I sent in I got credit for 3 WU! Strange, :confused:

The servers are sometimes off line or under maintenance, and credits for Work Units can be delayed (or occasionally lost entirely!).

If you are interested, visit the Folding at Home forums. There are specific threads there covering lost or missing credits.

Thanks AlanH!

I don't know if that's what happened here, my screen at home was showing the same as their page each time.

I'm not as concerned with "credit" as I am with results to the research, but I just thought I'd mention it. Not sure what everyones' motivations might be but I'm hoping this research helps someone someday.

yeah this is still going :)

Looks like we might overtake a couple more teams in the next few days, putting us well into the 220's range.

Yeah, but the Playstations are catching up...
Still, do you think the 200 mark is a dream ?

Hey, I just joined! Please add me to the list.
I have two questions: 1. Is the image it generates just a random image or is it really what the protien would look like? 2. How does it know that it's not doing the same work as another computer?
Oh and also my computer might be the most useful because it's got a Dual Core processor and 2GB RAM.

Welcome aboard :wavey:

I believe the image is a genuine visualisation of the protein you are working on.

However, the bad news is that, if you are seeing that display then you are not using your lovely two-core system to best effect. If you can keep your PC folding continuously then the SMP client runs at a far higher rate of points per hour. You won't get the pretty pictures, but you'll contribute a lot more science.

Alternatively, if you have the right sort of GPU hardware, there are clients that will use your GPU for high performance.

Check the options at the Stanford download page. The high performance clients are betas, but they seem to be stable.

So... your saying that I get more work done by not watching it? No problem, I just won't watch it that often. It is working as I type this.
But I'm still not convinced the images are real, since I've seen the exact same image more than once. Why would it do that again, especially on different frames? Maybe once it gets done with this WU (whatever that stands for) the images will change completely.

So... your saying that I get more work done by not watching it? No problem, I just won't watch it that often. It is working as I type this.
No, he means you should go and download the SMP client.

Although the support seems rather poor - they only have SMP in the non-GUI version, and the recommended version doesn't support SMP at all. Seems rather surprising to me, given how common multi-core CPUs are these days.

Edit: Doesn't work at all for me - opens a DOS window, and gets stuck in a loop downloading stuff, then giving an error. I'll be sticking with the main client, and hope they get round to finally adding SMP support someday.

Not quite the same for me. Opens DOS window, says something isn't compatable, recommends the one I already have, and closes. Oh well.
BTW does anyone know what the project names mean or what they are researching? Right now I'm on frame 91/1500 of p3707_Seq17_Amber03_GROMACS core.

Okay, two questions :
* Is it easy to downgrade to the SMP client ? Should I do it (I have a Core2Duo and use the Graphic client)
* I've read that it's frowned upon to run 2 clients (Hyperthreading) and not that useful, research-wise. What's your take on this ? Also, it doesn't even let me run 2 clients on the same computer.
* Is it possible to put a client on a USB key to download a WU (Work Unit) and run it from work. Uploading it at home when its done ?

I know that's 3 questions, so sue me. ;)

For the life of me i cannot get it to work any more, regardless what computer i d/l it onto. Who knows why.

I find the trick is, to just never touch it or understand what its doing. I just assume im contributing.

Even when i d/l it to a fresh new compuer it buggers up tho.. could my username be corrupted?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom