1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Team CFC: Folding@Home project

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Abaddon, Jan 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. D0NIMATRIX

D0NIMATRIX Full of drivel

I figured it out (at last). I thought the instructions meant preferences in the program, not system preferences.:goodjob:

2. ggganz

ggganz a.k.a. The Scyphozoa

Mine for some reason can't get deadlineless work. I guess I just can't use that option, which isn't a problem for me, but does anyone have an idea why?

3. schmiddi

schmiddi Prussian

IIRC, they no longer offer deadlineless WUs.
    At least i think i read that somewhere.

4. MOTH

MOTH Emperor

Has anyone figured out how much extra it costs to run these? I am mostly concerned with the extra electricity running the cpu and cooling fans.

5. Mulholland

Mulholland Happy New Year!!!!

If you run your computer 24/7 just to fold it will cost you quite a bit more to fold. However if you run it only when your computer is being used the extra costs should be negligible.

Look at how many watts your processor consumes at load, and compare wattage that to a light bulb. You should then have a rough Idea of how much it will cost you to run folding.

6. ggganz

Well, I finally got the SMP thing to work. Now both my cores are constantly at max. Is there any way to get it to work without the DOS console window? I tried running it as a service but then it seems to not use as much proccessign power.

7. El_Machinae

El_Machinae Colour vision since 2018 Retired Moderator

http://twit.tv/fib27

Here's a podcast interview with the person running the Folding@Home program, with discussing some of the history, some of the technical specs, etc.

8. taper

taper Meet Tux

I have a desktop and my laptop folding 24/7, and my electric bill for November for my entire apartment was under $30. Really not that bad. To give a few numbers, a Core2 Duo processor is rated at 65 watts, which doesn't mean it uses that all the time, but it's a typical load. Folding will probably add a few watts, lets say 10. 10 watts over 24 hours over a 30 day month = 7.2 kWh, electricity costs around .08/kWh, so you've got less than an extra dollar a month if your computer is already on. Your mileage may vary, but it's a small cost for the benefit science gets.

9. Mulholland

True, but I don't run my computer 24/7 anymore. I did for a while and my period rate for electricity was about $80. Now that I turn it off at night my period rate is only $60. It all depends I guess.

On an unrelated note team CFC has overtaken Team Microsoft and is sitting at 229 overall. Good job guys!!!:king:

Link:
    http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/team_list.php?s=&p=3

10. Furiey

Furiey No Longer Just Lurking

I've just had a look at the FAH Forums for the first time in a while and a lot seems to be happening. For Windows users the SMP client is now in Beta testing!

As for the cost, if you don't run your PC specially for folding and only leave it switched on when you would do so anyway, the extra cost of the electricity is only going to be due to any increase in processor loading.

11. AlanH

AlanH Mac addict, php monkey Moderator Hall of Fame Staff Supporter GOTM Staff

It's been available for a while. The Mac SMP version came first (for a change), and it's been pretty stable, so I can recommend this option as long as you run a multi-core PC for more than a few hours a day.

It would be enormously helpful if a few more CFC-ers would switch to the SMP (or GPU or PS3) client to get the results moving, as well as to boost Team CFC on the rankings. We are stalling at our current ranking in the low 200s.

12. ggganz

Okay, why is it that, whenever I start the SMP client, it always says:

User name: Anonymous (Team 0).

Even though I set it to ggganz and team (whatever the number is) when I started it the first time??

EDIT: I looked in the files, the client.cfg file has the user name and team number, and so does the log. Stranger still, the log says 7 percent but the console window (it's working right now) says 14 percent.

13. AlanH

AlanH Mac addict, php monkey Moderator Hall of Fame Staff Supporter GOTM Staff

Search me, I use a sensible computer :p

I'm sure a Windows user will be along soon who can help.

14. Furiey

I just need a PC capable of running the SMP client, or Civ 4 come to that...

15. ggganz

You won't need the SMP client unless you have a Dual-Core proccessor. If you do, you almost certainly can run Civ4.

16. Furiey

Nope, no dual core here hence no SMP client, PC far too old for that and Civ 4 hence my comment. I was hoping to get a new one around Christmas but unfortunately it will have to wait a while longer.

17. Godwynn

Godwynn March to the Sea

I've downloaded the application again.

I'll be running it a moderate amount, I will also put this program on my new laptop once I go back to school.

18. Mulholland

Welcome back Godwyn! you're awesome!:king:

19. Godwynn

Godwynn March to the Sea

I am currently on my laptop and the F@H program is a black screen. I only use the graphic version since the one that isn't doesn't work for me.

Any ideas? I am running Vista.

20. ggganz

Nobody answered my question. Why can't I get the program to remember that I am ggganz of TeamCFC?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.