Team CFC: Folding@Home project

Status
Not open for further replies.
All the way down to 34th... :( Where did it all go wrong :(

While in fact, you're not... :( This list says you don't contribute points. Are you sure it's turned on ?

Yeah its turned on, it says i havent been active in 50 days... weird. Dunno what to do now, anything i might do could infringe on my dont touch policy.

I've not been active for at least 7 months :(

I know, look who started the ol Folding thing here :)

Ive sadly had to bow out due to my lack of alternatives.

It'll let you use two at once? Jeez, this program is more complicated than I thought. I think I'll just let it do its thing.

No, but you can let two copies run. I have them installed as services, but it's probably also possible with using the normal client.

Okay, two questions :
* Is it easy to downgrade to the SMP client ? Should I do it (I have a Core2Duo and use the Graphic client)
* I've read that it's frowned upon to run 2 clients (Hyperthreading) and not that useful, research-wise. What's your take on this ? Also, it doesn't even let me run 2 clients on the same computer.
* Is it possible to put a client on a USB key to download a WU (Work Unit) and run it from work. Uploading it at home when its done ?

I know that's 3 questions, so sue me. ;)

Hyperthreading allows one CPU to be treated as two by the operation system. So you can, for instance, run two F@H clients simultaneously. But since they have to share one CPU, both will take twice the time to complete, which is why it is discouraged.
A dual core CPU, however, consists of two CPUs, and can thus run two clients at the same time, with no loss of performance for either client. The spoiler contains instructions on how to do this, as best as i can remember.

Spoiler instructions :
1. Download the console client.
2. Create two folders, and put a copy of the client into each.
3. For each client:
3.1. Start the client.
3.2. Set up username, team, etc.
3.3. Pick a machine ID which is different from the one you used for the other client.
3.4. Chose the "Install as service" option, when it appears.
4. Restart and open up the task manager (Crtl+Alt+Del). You should have two FaHCore processes running.

Putting a client on an USB key shouldn't be a problem. Just make sure select the "prompt before transmitting work units"(or whatever it is called) option.

My issue all year round with my desk next to a radiator is probably a good reason why i dont normally have it at 100%

Yes you are, you are no longer on my 'hit list' ;)
@ Till : Thanks for the instructions.
Just to be sure, if I download the console client I will not lose my stats, right ?

Hi, DOMINATRIX. As a fellow Mac user, I may be able to help:

There are two main options (well, a few more, actually, depending on how keen you want to get):

1. There is a single-CPU client you can download and install. It runs rather slowly on an Intel Mac, becaue it is only available as PowerPC code, so it runs using the Rosetta PowerPC emulator. The main benefit of using this client is that the Work Units have very relaxed deadlines - usually weeks rather than days. This means if your computer spends a lot of time switched off or sleeping it will still complete work units eventually and they will still be accepted. Another bonus with this client is you can see a pretty picture of the protein you are folding.

2. There is a "SMP" (Symmetrical multi-processor) client that is native Intel code, and makes use of both your dual cores if they are available. This runs different, larger Work Units that attract much higher points scores, but they are given tight deadlines for completion - typically a few days. This client is potimised for a four core system, but will produce good results on a dual core Mac if you leave it running all the time. If you switch it off or let it sleep then you will not complete work units within the deadlines. It is beta software, but it is pretty stable. The one thing to watch is that, if your Mac loses its ethernet connection, even for a second, the current work unit will abort.

To illustrate: My Mac Pro is maintaining third place in our team rankings pretty much alone, running the SMP client at about 1500 points per day. I have an old G4 (Power PC) that is running the single CPU client,and it earns a few hundred points per week.

Whichever client you choose, it is available in a Mac OS X installer. Make sure you enter your User Name (DOMINATRIX), and the CFC team number (47958) into the configuration before you start folding, so that your work will be credited to you, and to the CFC team.

Good luck!

Finishing WU in 13 seconds....
Yes, all you have to do is enter that info. If Macs have a "Startup" folder (I wouldn't know) or something where all programs in that folder start by themselves when you turn on the computer, put a shortcut to the program there.

Be sure to reduce the checkpoint frequency in the advanced configuration menu. This will 'save' your unit periodically, and avoid losing computed frames when you shutdown.

@DOMINATRIX: Which version are you trying to run? And did you read any of the instructions?

The SMP version is a background-only application. It installs a System Preferences panel that you use to control it. Open System Preferences and select FoldingAtHome at the bottom of the main "Show All" screen. Enter your user ID and team number, and click the "Enable Folding" button. That will start it up and set it to restart automatically each time you reboot.

The single CPU version is a normal Mac OS X application. Launch it in the usual way and select Preferences under its application menu. Enter your name and team number in the Identity tab. Right click its Dock icon and select "Open At Login" to make it a startup item each time you reboot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom