TerraNES: The Civil Experiment

From the Kingdom of Suguda
To Shah Gura of the other Shahula

Early bird gets the worm, is a saying we have. Agility is a most favoured trait to chariot people like yourself. Wouldn't you say Kazu has beat you here fair and square?

In any case, we've no quarrel with your fine people, and in fact, the products of civilization are non-rivalrous, and your people can enjoy them too if you develop a settlement to trade at. So wasting your blood on the shores of our muscular and handsome walls would be, counterproductive, to expanding your Turan influence across Asmara. We've the power of the forge to make spears to beat anything your warriors handle, after all.

The fact that you consider the coward one of us withdraws sympathy from our eyes. We demand tribute from your "civilization" to be shown before me and the elders of the Shahula. We shall pass judgement on your fate. Refuse our demands, and we shall incite the rituals to begin your cleansing from the surface of the earth. (Demands 1EP of tribute)

From Shah Kazu
"Shah" Gura is merely jealous of our esteemed partnership, and fearful of the consequences. As my self-proclaimed nemesis on the plains, he brings his rabble rousing against me to your walls. With the wonders of civilization, I am confident we can easily scatter his forces in decisive battle.

He, in truth, has no more friends than I.

Where's the town I settled? And did my donations to the Zirilists at Toras-Noth net anything? (Sorry if I missed those somewhere in the update.)

The fact that you consider the coward one of us withdraws sympathy from our eyes. We demand tribute from your "civilization" to be shown before me and the elders of the Shahula. We shall pass judgement on your fate. Refuse our demands, and we shall incite the rituals to begin your cleansing from the surface of the earth. (Demands 1EP of tribute)

From Shah Kazu
"Shah" Gura is merely jealous of our esteemed partnership, and fearful of the consequences. As my self-proclaimed nemesis on the plains, he brings his rabble rousing against me to your walls. With the wonders of civilization, I am confident we can easily scatter his forces in decisive battle.

He, in truth, has no more friends than I.

From the Kingdom of Suguda
To Shah Gura
CC Shah Kazu

Your a miserable negotiator, Shah Gura, and we call your bluff. You've no more sway over the far-apart nomads across the plains than Kazu, so our deal with his Shahula stands.

But to your elders of the Shahula, we offer the same deal; they may live around civilization, sell the products of nomad life in our markets, and freely exchange them for our own goods. If your elders have the wisdom which often comes with age, they should see the value in partnership over your poorly analyzed battle plans.

To Egypt: Free Kush completely or be destoryed, so speaks the Kingdom of Axum on the Golden Throne.
To Kush: Congradulations, to you and to all my middlemen. I see our funds reached you through our glorious allies and your nation has risen to new hights. May the gold of the Nile flow for a thousand years!
To Hyak and Katan: Lets finish Egypt. Any nation that rules all of the Nile cannot be a loyal vassal for long. We will join you in ending the pharoah's "empire".

Who restored the Kuhorsehockye crown?
Who keeps the Teripian down?
We do. We do.
Who keeps Atlantis Somalia off the map?
Who keeps the Martians Pirates under wraps?
We do. We do.
:p

Lokki, I feel your pain- I've done the same thing myself many times. I recommend trying to rewrite it sooner rather than later, otherwise it will bother you for way longer than it would have taken to re-do it.

to Axume:
Ha! The threats of weak and scared fools means nothing. Egypt is already destroyed, you can do nothing to us but threaten like the fool you are. One day Egypt may appear again, and we will remember this foolishness.

to Hyak:
Egypt already suffered the bitterest of defeats and I am willing to become your vassal, enslaved by the law of the gods. But I will not let my grand culture disappear and will fight to the bitter death if the Nile will not be allowed to remain united.

To Egypt: If you are willing to let Kush be free, then we are willing to grant you peace. Deal?

Specifically, he's not telling you never to post on the forum, just that if you write in the message box, you run a high risk of losing your post.

Mediolanum

The Xenophobic Mediolanum found their paranoia well founded as they fought on every frontier... except, perhaps, the one they expected it the most. From the North came "Buganites" as fleeing Ashlanders and Dorians attacked them in the south. Meanwhile, their warriors fight with their brothers in Apulia against Katan even as the Melody's siren song begun to penetrate into the Cytrian homelands, to the shock of conservative elders.

Waves upon waves of savage warriors poured out of the Veiled Mountains to die in General Cassini's carefully prepared killzones. Seemingly secure, a new force suddenly poured out of the passes and smashed through his lines. Even as Cassini cleverly contained and eventually destroyed the Charioteers, a final mass of Buganites followed a seemingly unstoppable line of heavily armored warriors to grind into his lines. This new assault was halfway to Mediolanum, leaving death and destruction behind them and spreading Bugernite warbands across the countryside, before Cassini finally stopped them. After defeating these "Iron Lancers", most of the surviving Bugernites turned and fled, but not before grabbing as much as they could and ruining anything they could not carry.

To the south, provincial garrisons faced bands of Ashlanders and Dorians, who fled the scourges of Tarase and Leon for the former, and Katan and Exnot for the latter. Desperately searching for supplies and perhaps a new home, there were several moments when they seemed to be able to break through. However, the stalwart Cytrians were able to remain cohesive, and these threats fell, one by one.

Meanwhile, in Apulia, General Optimani led his troops to free Apulia and Epirus from Katan. Although the Epiric revolt was stillborn, the Katanic army there crushing dissent and maintaing stability, the Apulian revolt burned with the heat of evangelical passion. With their help, Optimani corralled then smashed the local Katanic Garrison, capturing pair of stone throwers, and entering Rasade and Apulia in triumph.

However, as time passed Katan once more found their limited control of the sea returned. Even as ten thousand Katanic warriors poured into Egypt, several thousand more returned to Apulia, intent on brining it back unto Katanic control. Optimani were able to hold off several landings, but was in the end overwhelmed, forced to retreat to Rasade as Apulia falls under Katanic Siege.

Meanwhile, new fears grew at home as the religious menaces of Druidism and the Melody encroached upon their proud traditions of Ancestor Worship. Although Tarase didn't attack with warriors, many accused their merchants and their druids of declaring war of Cytrian Manhood with their woman-glorifying religion. An accusation the High Priestess of Morrigan and the King of Tarase both reject. The Melody was a more nebulous enemy. A seemingly unholy cocktail of the worse of every foreign religion, combined with enough local values to attract a distressingly amount of locals under it's song, the conservatives railed against this growing religion, which is yet still somewhat contained in Ctesiphod's walls and among their Apulian Comrades.

Melody

The fastest growing religion of this age, the Melody combined aspects from the four major evangelical (this means "spreading" right?) faiths from which it stems. Exnotism, of the Takarzite variety; The Faith, of the Valyrian variety; Zirilism, of the Thloyrn/Koislyu variety; and Bokononism, of Leon.

At the center of the Melody is a recognition of a flawed world. Like Bokononism, singers of the Melody realize the falseness of their beliefs and the faults of their convictions. However, also like Bokononists, they believe that their beliefs can bring them happiness and strength, and the examples of the Melody can make humanity better. The Melody differs in that many of their characters are Gods in the traditional sense, and supersition- recognized but preserved- still line the heart of this new religion.

On the surface, the Melody borrows most greatly from Exnotism and Zirilism. Indeed, the two chief "Deities" of the Melody are superbly drunk and all powerful couple of Exnot and Ziril. Too drunk and too busy arguing with each other to rule, that duty falls upon Takarzi. This god ranges among a young warrior-prince exulting in his unquestionable authority, a middle-aged and self-conflicted king of war, or an old and wise monarch of the countless heavens he had conquered in his youth. Some lines of the Melody continues the tale, as Takarzi became the new Exnot, and fathered a new son to rule his domains.

But beneath the over-structure of the Melody, one can see the deep influences of the Faith. War is an honorable activity, one with as many rules and customs as peace. Respect of mankind, respect of one's honor, respect of one's achievements, respect of one's society and one's place in that society. This individual respect leads to a cohesive, discipled, happy, and stable civilization. These tenants of the Melody derive from the Valyrian Faith, a splinter which has disappeared early during the Winter Wars, with little remaining except for preserved books in Epirus or New Valyria (now Leon). However, many also note that the Valyrian Faith borrowed much from the traditional Ancestor Worship of Cytrian origin, a much more humble and local faith.

There are several theories for the rise of the Melody. Some speak of the Great School of Barcia and the gathering of intellectuals there. Others speak of the revival of Zirilism by Utica, and the return of the Faith along the Rhone, which mixed with the evergrowing tide of Exnotism form Kosa. Still others point to unique situation in Apulia itself. A prosperous republic following the mercantile Thloyrn Zirilism falls under the control of an Exnotist Empire. Meanwhile, a revival of learning and the faith brings forth new light upon old ideas, even as Bokononism gives all a sense of self-justificaiton in studying and brining together the new belief.

The Melody is as of yet still changing. Taking heart in Apulia, it has spread into Koislyu and Epirus, as well as Novaricum. The Bokonist homeland Leon boasts it's share of Melodists, as does the Exnotist homeland of Varna. Each individual has their own take on this as-of-yet oral and shared religion which is increasing tensions all across the central seas. Most notable are the not-quite-silent attempt by the Keepers of the Codex to bring them back into "Orthodox" Exnotism, as well as the xenophobic reactionary fear of the Cytrian homeland.

Utica

Even as Utica aids their allies the Novaricum in their side of the Grand Levantive Cluster-damnyouautoblock-, the war itself didn't affect the commonwealth as much as was feared. It is true much trade was displaced, but a stable cease fire was maintained for the past score years or so. A greater boon was the capture and assimilation of the colony of Woet, which was already paying dividends to the Utican treasury.

Instead, Utica mostly focused inward after seeing off their brave warriors and seamen. Toras-Noth was finally rebuilt under Ziril, and a new Grand Temple of Toras-Noth was designed to be built from the ancient and blessed stones they found there. By the second Zirilwine, which was also attented by many Melodists, the city was flourishing. Utica flourished as well, as both Zirilists and Melodists teemed towards the growing prosperous commonwealth. Although the collapse of trade routes placed the hurt on them, pilgrimage more than covered the losses.

Utica also built a town to the south of their capital. A nice, provincial town, it did little other than facilitate several of the local olive growers in shipping out their produce. More important was Woet, whose position allowed them to trade with the desert nomads and gained them various exotics from the deep desert.

Major issues for Utica is the value of their alliances with Leon and Novaricum, as well as the growth of the familiarly strange Meldoy.

Varna

Varna faced a dreadful century. The reopening of the Wheat Trade lasted barely six decades before closed off again, and its old sectionalist differences begun rearing themselves again. Altyria attempted to revolt twice, the second time gathering many of the Don Rivermen behind their banner and convincing the High Prince of Trezebond to join them. The great losses of the First Fallen Sea Fleet proved to be a bad omen over Varna, casting dull shadows over the otherwise festive Celebration of the Rivers.

Bad news followed bad news as many merchants begun to openly discuss their secret trading partners, more out of fear than anything else. Doussa seems to rise ever faster, her metalworking industry much more crucial to the only available market of Katan than any bargeload of foodstuff. The bare brightspot was the return of the River Expedition, detailing wide plains, deep forests and steep mountains. Countless peoples and markets, from Dorians defending growing agricultural city states, chariot-riding nomadic lords, self-proclaimed kings on their little hills and mines. One enterprising man even traveled to the court of Xilexis, where the Shah there declared himself "Lord of Bugaria, King of all Keltia".

EDIT: I think I tied up all the update-based loosed ends. So I'm accepting any specific questions now. Planning to post official stats tomorrow, and then get them up on the FP with the due date Friday, with official diplomacy to arrive Thursday.

I'm guessing I didn't get added this update..?
Oh well.

Top Bottom