TerraNES: The Civil Experiment

The idea of transatlantic crossing in a primitive coastal boat from a culture which is not heavily maritime is already veeeeeeery farfetched, although it is theoretically possible. The idea that this group could make it across intact and with enough goods to have any effect on the new world is even more outrageously unlikely.

Gem Hound's examples 1 and 3 are both highly unlikely to be real, and Polynesians are a dedicated maritime culture, and potential transpacific contacts happened through island hopping, and several millennia later than our present time in this NES.

The idea of transatlantic crossing in a primitive coastal boat from a culture which is not heavily maritime is already veeeeeeery farfetched, although it is theoretically possible. The idea that this group could make it across intact and with enough goods to have any effect on the new world is even more outrageously unlikely.

Gem Hound's examples 1 and 3 are both highly unlikely to be real, and Polynesians are a dedicated maritime culture, and potential transpacific contacts happened through island hopping, and several millennia later than our present time in this NES.
Example 1 is real, I agree though that example 3 is very unlikely. The reasoning behind example one being real is that fact that they have found a Japanese mega ship over 1000 years old I think wrecked on the West coast of the Americas. They know it was from the Far East. The archeologists also found armour in a temple in Central America. There is also a record of lots of huge ships from Japan sailing East. It is very possible that that is what actually happened.

Anyways, bout the curragh: it would be awesome. :p Quick, everyone post until Terrance gets the top of that page again!

There is another theory, that some Europeans managed to sail across the Atlantic during/around the last glacial maximum. In fact, DNA tests have shown that some Indian tribes (southeastern ones especially) are part European, and have been since pre-Columbian times.
If that was possible, a lone curragh making it across is also possible, but that curragh would have no influence whatsoever other than some intermingling and legends among whoever they contact.

Prelogue

The sun started to set. I turned to a man next to me, a man from Avaris. "You think we'll stop fighting now?"

He coughed, spitting out blood and squinted at the front line. "I don't think we are letting up!"

"What, how can we fight at night!"

Suddenly, a volley of flaming arrows arced through the air. We're clearly visible from the backlight... but the Nubians, they blend into the darkness.

Their shining blades begun to cut open our lines.

"Regroup! Regroup at the chariots!" I called, I turned to run, until a spear stopped me.

----------------------------------------------

"A Proclaimation from the Emperor!" wrote the public scribe "Taxes are lowered!"
At first, there was silence. Then there were cheers. Chao yi was confused, and went into the emptied wine-store; there, the I was serving everyone a free shot.

"I thought we're ruled by a Duke", he asked me.

I scoffed, "Duke or Emperor, they never show their faces. Hey, he lowered taxes didn't he? Here, drink up."

There is another theory, that some Europeans managed to sail across the Atlantic during/around the last glacial maximum. In fact, DNA tests have shown that some Indian tribes (southeastern ones especially) are part European, and have been since pre-Columbian times.
If that was possible, a lone curragh making it across is also possible, but that curragh would have no influence whatsoever other than some intermingling and legends among whoever they contact.
One man/woman can change the technological advancement of a people or even influence a culture.

The awesomeness of them making it is greater than if they didn't.

Not to say I gave them plot armor, or anything.

Nice discussion.

:p

"Hey, Terrance, you know what would be great?"

"What?"

"A pre-Iron Age ship making it to the new world and forming a giant supernation that then invades Europe and flings down nukes in the 1700s!"

"One step ahead of you!"

*What most likely happened.

"Hey, Terrance, you know what would be great?"

"What?"

"A pre-Iron Age ship making it to the new world and forming a giant supernation that then invades Europe and flings down nukes in the 1700s!"

"One step ahead of you!"

*What most likely happened.

Nope. More like
"Hey Terrance, you know what would be cool?"
"What?"
"A pre-Iron Age ship making it to the new world and causing the creation of Bronze Age Empires!"
"One step ahead of you!"

My main issue is that it excessively stretches players' suspensions of disbelief- if things as ludicrously improbable as that can happen, it makes a lot of the cool things that happen in this NES feel... less legitimate. :(

My main issue is that it excessively stretches players' suspensions of disbelief- if things as ludicrously improbable as that can happen, it makes a lot of the cool things that happen in this NES feel... less legitimate. :(
It caused quite the discussion though no?

It'd be kind of more plausible if they had made it to the Azores, then maybe a bit later on to the Americas. Kind of an Atlantis thing? :p

Mucking through the crushing of Sparta.

I have a really important research paper I almost forgot to do, so the update would be delayed, hopefully only to Thursday, but likely to the weekend.

:(

A pity, but we all know what comes first.

sparta-crushed; rome-chased out; mongolians-laid low; persians-assimilated; byzantines-purged; franks-pulverized; america-squeaky cleansed; spain-conquistatored; egypt-enslaved; lombards-slaughtered; samnites-erased; babylon-babified; aryans-vaporized

i didn't do it i'm sorry

Top Bottom