1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

TerraNES: The Civil Experiment

Discussion in 'Never Ending Stories' started by Terrance888, Nov 13, 2011.

1. Lord_Iggy

Lord_Iggy Tsesk'ihe

The idea of transatlantic crossing in a primitive coastal boat from a culture which is not heavily maritime is already veeeeeeery farfetched, although it is theoretically possible. The idea that this group could make it across intact and with enough goods to have any effect on the new world is even more outrageously unlikely.

Gem Hound's examples 1 and 3 are both highly unlikely to be real, and Polynesians are a dedicated maritime culture, and potential transpacific contacts happened through island hopping, and several millennia later than our present time in this NES.

2. Terrance888

Terrance888 Discord Reigns

The Idea of me getting mad at losing the top post is very real though. :p

Finished Nile, now working through another series of Eastern Sea wars. At this rate, it'll be the next Valyria.

3. Gem Hound

Gem Hound Deity

Example 1 is real, I agree though that example 3 is very unlikely. The reasoning behind example one being real is that fact that they have found a Japanese mega ship over 1000 years old I think wrecked on the West coast of the Americas. They know it was from the Far East. The archeologists also found armour in a temple in Central America. There is also a record of lots of huge ships from Japan sailing East. It is very possible that that is what actually happened.

Anyways, bout the curragh: it would be awesome. :p Quick, everyone post until Terrance gets the top of that page again!

4. SouthernKing

SouthernKing crickety cricket

There is another theory, that some Europeans managed to sail across the Atlantic during/around the last glacial maximum. In fact, DNA tests have shown that some Indian tribes (southeastern ones especially) are part European, and have been since pre-Columbian times.
    If that was possible, a lone curragh making it across is also possible, but that curragh would have no influence whatsoever other than some intermingling and legends among whoever they contact.

5. Terrance888

Prelogue

The sun started to set. I turned to a man next to me, a man from Avaris. "You think we'll stop fighting now?"

He coughed, spitting out blood and squinted at the front line. "I don't think we are letting up!"

"What, how can we fight at night!"

Suddenly, a volley of flaming arrows arced through the air. We're clearly visible from the backlight... but the Nubians, they blend into the darkness.

Their shining blades begun to cut open our lines.

"Regroup! Regroup at the chariots!" I called, I turned to run, until a spear stopped me.

----------------------------------------------

"A Proclaimation from the Emperor!" wrote the public scribe "Taxes are lowered!"
    At first, there was silence. Then there were cheers. Chao yi was confused, and went into the emptied wine-store; there, the I was serving everyone a free shot.

"I thought we're ruled by a Duke", he asked me.

I scoffed, "Duke or Emperor, they never show their faces. Hey, he lowered taxes didn't he? Here, drink up."

6. Gem Hound

Gem Hound Deity

One man/woman can change the technological advancement of a people or even influence a culture.

7. Tycho

Tycho AFK Forum Warrior

:p

"Hey, Terrance, you know what would be great?"

"What?"

"A pre-Iron Age ship making it to the new world and forming a giant supernation that then invades Europe and flings down nukes in the 1700s!"

"One step ahead of you!"

*What most likely happened.

:p

8. Gem Hound

Gem Hound Deity

Nope. More like
    "Hey Terrance, you know what would be cool?"
    "What?"
    "A pre-Iron Age ship making it to the new world and causing the creation of Bronze Age Empires!"
    "One step ahead of you!"

9. Lord_Iggy

Lord_Iggy Tsesk'ihe

My main issue is that it excessively stretches players' suspensions of disbelief- if things as ludicrously improbable as that can happen, it makes a lot of the cool things that happen in this NES feel... less legitimate. :(

10. Gem Hound

Gem Hound Deity

It caused quite the discussion though no?

11. Optical

Optical The Fall of the Eleventh

It'd be kind of more plausible if they had made it to the Azores, then maybe a bit later on to the Americas. Kind of an Atlantis thing? :p

12. Terrance888

I already had a destination in mind while adjudicating that update, but since none of you saw it, I can easily change it. ;)

13. Tycho

Tycho AFK Forum Warrior

Can't wait for the next update at this point. :)

14. Terrance888

Mucking through the crushing of Sparta.

I have a really important research paper I almost forgot to do, so the update would be delayed, hopefully only to Thursday, but likely to the weekend.

15. Gem Hound

Gem Hound Deity

darn. :( Good luck on the research paper.

16. Tycho

Tycho AFK Forum Warrior

:(

A pity, but we all know what comes first.

17. Terrance888

In that news, I show you all my newest Sig, based on the events of this (and earlier) updates, using more common names for wider understanding.

18. Gem Hound

Gem Hound Deity

:thumbup: on the new siggie. :D
    *Whistles and looks the other direction*

19. Optical

Optical The Fall of the Eleventh

:mischief: I'm innocent!

20. Eltain

Eltain Emperor

i didn't do it i'm sorry