"That One"

I find it amusing to replace "one" with any noun, as that's really what it is meant to replace and the noun was never defined by McCain. Think of it as a Mad Lib! Also his old man brain was probably to addled to remember the word.

No, you said that, McCain was probably thinking it.
Why? Sure, many of his supporters are racist, and I have no doubt that crazy biznitch he's running with is, but I've never seen anything that would support McCain being racist. Senile, yeah, but not racist.

Why? Sure, many of his supporters are racist, and I have no doubt that crazy biznitch he's running with is, but I've never seen anything that would support McCain being racist. Senile, yeah, but not racist.

People keep it real in New South Wales

Alzheimers disease is a tragic condition.

McCain used "one" to indicate that Obama is an individual instead of any generalisations that have been floating around. He used it to point out we should judge him as a person, not attribute perceived characteristics of a group of people.

:)

Cmon, if you saw the clip you'd understand.
And if you didn't think highly of Reagan's memory then you'd laugh.

I think highly of Reagan's memory? Does that mean cyanide does equal food and my attempt to play along was instead a horrible gaffe?! :O

McCain used "one" to indicate that Obama is an individual instead of any generalisations that have been floating around. He used it to point out we should judge him as a person, not attribute perceived characteristics of a group of people.

:)

Hah, best response so far.

McCain harbours nothing ill of blacks; gooks on the other hand....

I thought it was rude and disrespectful.

I am 52 and I make nothing of it.

The use of "one" is very slightly old fashioned english, but it is not at all rude.

I am 52 and I make nothing of it.

Not on paper, no. It's all in the intonation.

Mrs Obama, however, said she didn't make anything of it. Very polite the Obamas are. The McCains could learn something here. Possibly.

I also understand McCain never looked Obama in the face. Now, if you're addressing someone, never looking him in the face, what does that tell you about this person? (This one, not that one.)

It either means he's afraid to look Obama in the eye (implying he -- McCain -- is not being completely truthful or open), or he's contemptuous of Obama and doesn't consider him worthy of the respect he deserves. Either way, not using Obama's name or looking at him is a sign of disrespect. Here in Canada, using the words "that one" would be pounced on as unparliamentary language that, if said within the House itself, would result in McCain having to make a formal apology.

Top Bottom