The coming World War: Part One: The march to Caliphate

“Delight in smooth sounding platitudes, refusal to face unpleasant facts ... genuine love of peace and pathetic belief that love can be its sole foundation ... the utter devotion of the Liberals to sentiment apart from reality ...though free from wickedness or evil design, played a definite part in the unleashing upon the world of horrors and miseries [WWII]”
― Winston S. Churchill, The Gathering Storm

But a commander of the Movement for Oneness and Jihad in west Africa, one of the extremist groups controlling northern Mali, taunted the French, telling Associated Press: "I would advise France not to sing their victory song too quickly. They managed to leave Afghanistan. They will never leave Mali."

Oumar Ould Hamaha said: "It's to our advantage that they send in French troops on foot. We are waiting for them. And what they should know is that every French soldier that comes into our territory should make sure to prepare his will beforehand, because he will not leave alive."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/jan/15/mali-french-air-strikes

Pakistan's Supreme Court ordered the arrest of the prime minister on Tuesday on corruption allegations, ratcheting up pressure on a government that is also facing street protests led by a cleric who has a history of ties to the army.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/01/15/us-pakistan-cleric-protests-idUSBRE90E04920130115

Um. Well, the French have had quite a lot of experience in the Sahara. Historically.

What Caliphate ?
The worst that can happen is that France plus allies gets bogged down in a guerilla war and loses a lot of money and soldiers, and Mali becomes an admittedly hellish theocracy that remains pretty much harmless to anyone who isn't in Mali.
Undesirable results, but even this worst case scenario isn't a threat to internatnional stability.
And to repeat my question: what Caliphate ?

What Caliphate ?
The worst that can happen is that France plus allies gets bogged down in a guerilla war and loses a lot of money and soldiers, and Mali becomes an admittedly hellish theocracy that remains pretty much harmless to anyone who isn't in Mali.
Undesirable results, but even this worst case scenario isn't a threat to internatnional stability.
And to repeat my question: what Caliphate ?

meh, cut and paste from wiki:

A number of Islamist political parties and mujahideen have called for the restoration of the caliphate by uniting Muslim nations, either through political action (e.g., Hizb ut-Tahrir), or through force (e.g., al-Qaeda).[43] Various Islamist movements have gained momentum in recent years with the ultimate aim of establishing a Caliphate; however, they differ in their methodology and approach. Some[who?] are locally oriented, mainstream political parties that have no apparent transnational objectives.[citation needed]

Abul Ala Maududi believed the caliph was not just an individual ruler who had to be restored, but was man's representation of God's authority on earth:

Khilafa means representative. Man, according to Islam is the representative of "people", His (God's) viceregent; that is to say, by virtue of the powers delegated to him, and within the limits prescribed by the Qu'ran and the teaching of the prophet, the caliph is required to exercise Divine authority.[44]

The Muslim Brotherhood advocates pan-Islamic unity and implementing Islamic law. Founder Hassan al-Banna wrote about the restoration of the Caliphate.[45] See also: Muslim Brotherhood Influence Operations

One transnational group whose ideology is based specifically on restoring the caliphate as a pan-Islamic state is Hizb ut-Tahrir (literally: "party of liberation"). It is particularly strong in Central Asia and Europe and is growing in strength in the Arab world. It is based on the claim that Muslims can prove that God exists[46] and that the Qur'an is the word of God.[47][48] Hizb-Ut-Tahrir's stated strategy is a non-violent political and intellectual struggle.

In South-East Asia, groups such as Jemaah Islamiyah aim to establish a Caliphate across Indonesia, Malaysia, Brunei, and parts of Thailand, the Philippines and Cambodia..

A lot of people are calling for a lot of things. Doesn't mean it's likely to happen.
Should those different pan-islamic groups ever come to any political relevance, they are far more likely fight each other over the details than to pose any threat to non-islamic countries.
It's also imho pretty much impossible for such a group to gain political power in a country that isn't predominantly muslim, and even in muslim countries islamism isn't a particularly attractive ideology for most people (at least not in those countries with a literacy rate over 50%).

Islamic population is projected to grow by 87% by 2050.

And Germany's population was projected to be 300 million by the year 2000. Such projections are usually garbage.
Anyway, where did you pull these numbers from and where is it supposed to almost double in the next 37 years ? I bet whoever came up with this number is making a lot of unreasonable assumptions.

meh, cut and paste from wiki:

A number of Islamist political parties and mujahideen have called for the restoration of the caliphate by uniting Muslim nations, either through political action (e.g., Hizb ut-Tahrir), or through force (e.g., al-Qaeda).[43] Various Islamist movements have gained momentum in recent years with the ultimate aim of establishing a Caliphate; however, they differ in their methodology and approach. Some[who?] are locally oriented, mainstream political parties that have no apparent transnational objectives.[citation needed]

Abul Ala Maududi believed the caliph was not just an individual ruler who had to be restored, but was man's representation of God's authority on earth:

Khilafa means representative. Man, according to Islam is the representative of "people", His (God's) viceregent; that is to say, by virtue of the powers delegated to him, and within the limits prescribed by the Qu'ran and the teaching of the prophet, the caliph is required to exercise Divine authority.[44]

The Muslim Brotherhood advocates pan-Islamic unity and implementing Islamic law. Founder Hassan al-Banna wrote about the restoration of the Caliphate.[45] See also: Muslim Brotherhood Influence Operations

One transnational group whose ideology is based specifically on restoring the caliphate as a pan-Islamic state is Hizb ut-Tahrir (literally: "party of liberation"). It is particularly strong in Central Asia and Europe and is growing in strength in the Arab world. It is based on the claim that Muslims can prove that God exists[46] and that the Qur'an is the word of God.[47][48] Hizb-Ut-Tahrir's stated strategy is a non-violent political and intellectual struggle.

In South-East Asia, groups such as Jemaah Islamiyah aim to establish a Caliphate across Indonesia, Malaysia, Brunei, and parts of Thailand, the Philippines and Cambodia..

Even if they managed to unite all these countries together, the fight over who the Caliph should be would split them back apart.

I used to believe in the "Caliphate" idea of Muslims all uniting against the infidels. Then I studied the history of the Middle East/North Africa, and realized that this is about as likely as the people of the Balkans all coming together in a similar union.

Little is talked about of the fact that the ancient central European Polanie tribe has ties to Islam. Believe it or not but the likeliest capital for the next caliphate is Warsaw.

Sausages are slowly turning into kebabs. Shawarmas are eaten without a thought. How much longer until Europe falls before a Rzeczpospolita Republika Islamska? Some people say that it could be years or even just months. Yesterday I heard a guy say it could happen next week.

While the "islamists" are distracting reactionaries like you with "problems" in Mali, the real threat slowly emerges from behind a Vodka distillery in Bialystok. Did you know that there are plans to ban all alcohol sales in Poland?

Something is afoot. Ignore it and you kids might end up having to open presents on Christmas Eve, not Christmas Day, praying to Allah instead of God.

They will eat cabbage.

I used to believe in the "Caliphate" idea of Muslims all uniting against the infidels. Then I studied the history of the Middle East/North Africa, and realized that this is about as likely as the people of the Balkans all coming together in a similar union.

:goodjob:

And yeah this is ridiculous, but it is Mr. cooper.. so idk what i expected.

But Celtic, Republicans dont know there were three caliphates all fighting each other. Let along that sunnis hate shira in Iraq and are still killing each other in job lots.

Little is talked about of the fact that the ancient central European Polanie tribe has ties to Islam. Believe it or not but the likeliest capital for the next caliphate is Warsaw.

Sausages are slowly turning into kebabs. Shawarmas are eaten without a thought. How much longer until Europe falls before a Rzeczpospolita Republika Islamska? Some people say that it could be years or even just months. Yesterday I heard a guy say it could happen next week.

While the "islamists" are distracting reactionaries like you with "problems" in Mali, the real threat slowly emerges from behind a Vodka distillery in Bialystok. Did you know that there are plans to ban all alcohol sales in Poland?

Something is afoot. Ignore it and you kids might end up having to open presents on Christmas Eve, not Christmas Day, praying to Allah instead of God.

They will eat cabbage.
:goodjob:Dude, you could totally become an anti-Cooper. Just use his insane thinking to come up with the opposite scenario of whatever he suggests.

And what "Caliphate" are we talking about here? The Rashidun? Ummayad? Abbasid? Fatimid? Celtic's quite right about the (ridiculously low) probability of this.

Meh.... Stickck and stones :D

You mean like Yugoslavia?

I guess that's a good example. Yugoslavia broke up just like the caliphates. The sub groups of respective entities hate each other just as much

Top Bottom