The DC Blizzard

Brilliant idea you mean. It could economically stimulate those cities. In fact we should rotate our capital through every city in the country 4 times every year for each season, it'll be great for the economy.

Do mean a "Lets move most 'Washington' functions to a different city each season" or a "Lets call a different city each month the capital while pretty much retaining Washington as the de facto year round capital." type of arrangement?

The former. The latter would just be ego stroking and it wouldn't be economically useful. Don't want the southerners to get uppity either.

The former. The latter would just be ego stroking and it wouldn't be economically useful. Don't want the southerners to get uppity either.

Well... I would derive a bit of sadistic pleasure from politicians moving everything from one city to the next each season... along with the lobbyists and such.

And as such, filter out all the good lobbyists (an oxymoron*) and retain only the richest envoys of the biggest corporations and interests?

And as such, you do realize I am not serious, right? :lol:

I'm just saying that even when considered outside of it's consequences, your idea doesn't work.

Good jokes make sense :p

What joke did I make?

I read DC Blizzard and seriously thought this was a thread about the DQ Blizzards. Any one else do this? Now I'm hungry.

Just to stay OT, my uncle lives in the DC area (Alexandria, to be specific). Thankfully he was not caught in the blizzard: he was in Anchorage, AK instead. :lol:

You need to mail all that snow to Vancouver-Whistler, ASAP. The Olympics starts in a couple of days, and they don't have enough snow for the ski hills or the snowboarding venue... (seriously)

JH -

I was wondering how much the "snowmageddon" was fact and how much was fiction. ;)

Hope you're doing all right out there. So I presume the entire capitol's basically shut down? I know that at the very least a Congressional hearing on the financial crisis was canceled today due to snow.

Personally, I think it would have been better if we had not established a permanent capital but had congress/the president/etc move to a different state each year. Of course, this would require keeping the federal government quite small.

Or make the federal government large enough to encompass numerous cities and take over large swathes of them as federal property. I like this option better.

So I presume the entire capitol's basically shut down?
More or less. The only things that weren't canceled were the Caps and Wiz games AFAIK. Lots of people without power in both Maryland and VA, dunno about the District.

What is snow? There has never been a recorded incednet of snow falling in Perth, but on rare occasions we have seen it on the hills down south. All I can say is that I am glad that I am not in the blizzard right. :eek:

The Wizards game was canceled, but I thought Georgetown found a way to play?

JH -

I was wondering how much the "snowmageddon" was fact and how much was fiction. ;)

Hope you're doing all right out there. So I presume the entire capitol's basically shut down? I know that at the very least a Congressional hearing on the financial crisis was canceled today due to snow.

Integral,

We're doing fine, aside from very sore muscles from all the shoveling. Snowmageddon is one of a very few storms where the hype is actually true. We had 5 foot tall snowdrifts on the Metro tracks yesterday, so they couldn't run. There was really no safe way to get into the city unless one could walk. It's nice out right now but its also very icy. We'll have some semblance of normality by sunday morning, but apparently, Snowmageddon 4 is on its way on Monday. Everywhere you look, the piles of snow are human height. All that water has to go somewhere...

I expect several things to change because of this storm.

1) It is now utterly apparent that the city is reliant upon MetroRail for operation. As is the federal government. I expect funding problems to be resolved.

2) Telecommuting will finally start breaking through and being adopted en masse

Note that 1/3 of the gov't has managed to keep working, per the post

"About one-third of the D.C. area employees at the Office of Personnel Management and the General Services Administration logged on to their agencies' mainframe computers, probably from their homes," The Post's Joe Davidson writes today. "If the stats for those agencies are indicative of what happened around town, then the blizzard of 2010 may mark a real turning point in Uncle Sam's approach to telework."

"About 103,000 -- or almost 9 percent -- of eligible federal employees telecommuted in 2008, which was an improvement from the year before," according to The Post's Nicole Norfleet.

Top Bottom