The DC Blizzard

JerichoHill

Bedrock of Knowledge
In case you were wondering

1) I live in Northern Virginia. Yes, we really have gotten 3 feet of snow. All roads impassable for 4 days bar a few major arteries to health services. The mass transit system has been shut down since Friday at noon.

2) Snowbanks are now taller than myself. I am 6 feet tall.

3) We have lost 25% of our snowplows in the DC area. Salt is running out

4) There truly is no way for anyone to get into work. The only people working are telecommuters.

5) The Post Office isn't even delivering. Blizzard conditions I suppose they will not work in.

If you would like to ask any questions about this wonderful blizzard from someone experiencing it, ask away. I'm gonna go shovel some more.

Welcome to my every third winter.

When you start the practice of sending your elderly off on ice flows (upon losing their usefulness, obviously), we can talk as equals.

Why are you so lucky?

How do you lose snowplows? Mechanical breakdown?

I wouldn't be surprised if DC didn't have much in the way of snow removal equipment. There's only so much a plow can do.

Try to avoid eating the yellow snow. And it is usually best to wait until the very last minute to decide which person will be eaten first, so the rest can survive.

As the buses weren't running, I drove to work today. I was about the only one on the road. There was one other guy in the office who told me I was crazy and should leave immediately (no idea how he got there). I still planned to stay until my wife texted me from home and told me I had better leave before I get stuck there. I called my manager at home to let her know and she basically told me I was crazy for having come in in the first place. So I will try again tomorrow . . .

In case you were wondering

1) I live in Northern Virginia. Yes, we really have gotten 3 feet of snow. All roads impassable for 4 days bar a few major arteries to health services. The mass transit system has been shut down since Friday at noon.

2) Snowbanks are now taller than myself. I am 6 feet tall.

3) We have lost 25% of our snowplows in the DC area. Salt is running out

4) There truly is no way for anyone to get into work. The only people working are telecommuters.

5) The Post Office isn't even delivering. Blizzard conditions I suppose they will not work in.

If you would like to ask any questions about this wonderful blizzard from someone experiencing it, ask away. I'm gonna go shovel some more.

Ouch, I'm in NYC right now, so we are having a blizzard right now. Not the caliber of what DC is dealing with, but still a pain in the ass.

This is hysterical to watch from afar, since I remember people in DC being major wimps about the snow. I got more snow days at American University than I did for my last three years of high school in Ohio.

AAAH A LITTLE BIT OF SNOW MY BMW IS LOCKING UP ARRGGGHH

I guess you actually have enough to complain now though. My buddies at We Love DC have been keeping me posted. Hope you can dig yourself out soon!

Driving without snow tires in a blizzard is indeed insane.

Why are you so lucky?

Seconded. I mean us Chicagoans only got about a foot of snow yesterday, and it wasn't even enough to close the schools today!

This is actually the first time since I moved out to DC that there has been enough snow to justify the response it has been getting. This is a blizzard even by upstate NY standards.

(I missed "Round 1" this past weekend as I had flown out to Denver - it did make getting in and out of the airports dicy but we made it.)

I live in St. Mary's County (Southern Maryland), we got a bit less than you guys, only about two feet, because of the water around us. We got another 5 inches or so today. The MDOT has run out of salt, they're either using sand, since we got a lot of freezing rain yesterday, or just plowing the roads to get off what they can. My restaurant has been closed multiple times this week; school hasn't convened either at colleges or public schools since last Thursday. Luckily we still have power, but a lot of trees are down and there isn't really anyone going anywhere. A few people have 4WD vehicles, since this is a rural area, and I've seen more than one go-cart out and about. I'm not really enjoying the time off, since I'd like to be making money, and the icy/snowy roads mean I, who generally runs five days a week, hasn't been able to run in more than a week.

This is the probably the worst winter since 1996. I love the snow, but this is getting a shy ridiculous.

Are grocery stores still open? Has there been any fear yet of running out of the basics?

Oh, also, is Barack safe????

I got four feet (going up to five as we speak) and my power was out from Saturday to Tuesday.

Are grocery stores still open? Has there been any fear yet of running out of the basics?

We had plenty of warning for all these storms, so people generally got the necessities before they hit.

Oh, also, is Barack safe????

Haven't the foggiest. I bet the Mall is breathtaking, though.

I got four feet (going up to five as we speak) and my power was out from Saturday to Tuesday.

You must be out in the Alleghenies; I hear Frostburg really got cockslapped.

Here in Ohio, we have about 1-1.2 feet of snow. And it looks like I'll have school tomarrow after two strait days off :cry:

Here in Ohio, we have about 1-1.2 feet of snow. And it looks like I'll have school tomarrow after two strait days off :cry:

At least you got days off. My school's insane, they made us go to school today, even though we really shouldn't have. I mean a route (around 2-3 miles) that usually takes about 5-10 minutes by car took 30 minutes today. Half the school didn't even show up.

At least you got days off. My school's insane, they made us go to school today, even though we really shouldn't have. I mean a route (around 2-3 miles) that usually takes about 5-10 minutes by car took 30 minutes today. Half the school didn't even show up.

That must have been the worst day of school for you. I on the other hand is kind of glad that I"m having school tomarrow. If I stayed at home for another day, I'd start to go a little nuts. Well, at least it wasn't like the winds from Hurricane Ike two years ago, when school was out for an entire week. That drove me MAD.

Top Bottom