The Doctor is coming, the Doctor is coming!!

Considering that his previous regeneration spent centuries on a planet where it was always Christmas, 24 years is just a drop in the bucket.

Actually, someone on TrekBBS brought up the point that since the crash happened at night and the rescuer showed up in daylight, that must mean they waited over 20 years to investigate the crash.

The Doctor could of course have been lying to spare her feelings.

Lying is the last Doctor's specialty, and one reason why I despised him (and the writers, as "I was lying" was a horribly lazy way to tapdance around having written themselves into a corner).

River Song is no dummy; she'd figure out pretty quick if he was lying.

THIS JUST IN.

Series 10 will only air in Spring 2017, and will be Moffat's last.

Chris Chibnall (Torchwood head writer in season 1 and 2 ; Broadchurch's creator and head writer) will be helming the show once the Moff leaves.

Not sure about that one. Chibnall's other shows have been good, but his Who contribution (42 ; The Hungry Earth / Cold Blood ; Dinosaurs on a Spaceship ; The Power of Three) have...not exactly been stellar. Certainly nowhere near Moffat's contributions prior to taking over ( The Empty Child/The Doctor Dances ; The Girl in the Fireplace ; Blink ; Silence in the Library/Forest of the Dead).

So there won't be any Doctor Who on TV at all this year? I was looking forward to the Clara-free stories.

If they want to kill the series, why not just say so?

Actually, I just found a Doctor Who fan film on YT (will post it a little later).

There will be a Christmas special at Christmas, with the series proper resuming next spring, so we're looking at...fifteen months or so wait between series. It's not that unusual a wait. Since NuWho started, the wait time between seasons have been about as follow:

S1-2 : 10 months
S2-3 : 8 months
S3-4 : 10 months
S4-5 : 21 months
S5-6 : 10 months
S6-7 : 11 months
S7-8 : 15 months
S8-9 : 10 months

On the long side, but they'd have to push it back to September 2017 to come close to the S4-5 gap.

I find it really difficult to get excited for Chibnall, but I'll try not to be too pessimistic here. Maybe he has a really compelling vision for Doctor Who that we just haven't seen yet.

If they want to kill the series, why not just say so?

Where on earth does that come from? Modern Doctor Who has always been a bit spotty with the airing dates. This is probably to let the new guy have some time to prepare.

I find it really difficult to get excited for Chibnall, but I'll try not to be too pessimistic here. Maybe he has a really compelling vision for Doctor Who that we just haven't seen yet.

Yeah, his track record hasn't been that great with Doctor Who and Torchwood. Maybe he'll take a more "hands-off" approach than Davies or Moffat did, just guiding the series without making it his own?

I'm hoping Capaldi is also staying onboard for Chibnall's first season, if only to keep the ship stable.

Where on earth does that come from? Modern Doctor Who has always been a bit spotty with the airing dates. This is probably to let the new guy have some time to prepare.
When there's a long time between seasons, they risk losing viewers. Lose enough viewers and it won't be profitable to air the show.

On the plus side newer Dr who fans have more time to catch up on old seasons with the one year hiatus

If they want to. I know someone on another forum who hates, loathes, and despises the final two seasons of the Fourth Doctor primarily because:

1. He gets hysterical at the mere mention of "City of Death" and refers to it as "Tom Baker's vacation" that got turned into a Doctor Who story. He carries on at length because it was not only shot in Paris, but because there are extended scenes of the Doctor and Romana running through the streets.

2. He hates Tom Baker's costume.

As for me, I've got several dozen books and fanfics to catch up on.

City of Death is bloody excellent and I don't know what sort of objection he could have to the fact that the cast enjoyed themselves while filming it.

This guy has some really weird things that he gets upset about. Paris is one of them. He'd have been okay if City of Death had been filmed in London with only one or two outdoor scenes, if even that.

City of Death is one of my favorite Baker-era stories because it's so much fun. And Romana raises a very good question about the Mona Lisa: "Why hasn't she got any eyebrows?"

I nearly fell off my chair yesterday when watching my soap opera, General Hospital. There's an evil character on the show named Tom Baker, and of course I immediately thought about the Fourth Doctor. I just assumed the script writers had no idea they were using the name of a real actor, but apparently somebody must have clued them in.

One of the doctor characters at the hospital (Liesel) asked another character (Franco) why he was obsessed with tracking down the "sublime" actor who played the Fourth Doctor. Franco was busy staring at his cell phone, and muttered, "Doctor who?" and Liesel said, "Exactly!".

It was a nice treat to see a shout-out like that. Kinda makes me like Liesel now (she's been one of the show's villains for the past few years). :lol:

I haven't seen the Christmas show this year (doubtful I will, as my current computer won't play any videos that aren't YouTube and I don't have the TV channel that shows Doctor Who in Canada).

From what I gather of the comments at TrekBBS, it was something to do with superheroes... anybody watch this?

Yes, it was quite fun. The Doctor accidentally gave a superhero-obsessed child superpowers. It was nice to have a Christmas special which didn't revolve around Christmas for a change.

I just got the impression that he was a normal boy who simply wanted to be a superhero. I thought it was a pretty good episode, actually. The brief scene with him at school was particularly good.

Top Bottom