The Dural

From what I've heard, you must let a unit build a road (or some sort of route) too if it can build any improvements, or else the AI won't understand it and will cause a lot of CtDs.

[to_xp]Gekko;7356250 said:
wrong thread? :D

Yep. Should not do forums at night.

One idea I had was to modify how Fortification works.

Current implementation:

If a unit is allowed Defensive Bonuses, then a check is done at the start of the turn to see if it moved last turn. If it did not move, then the fortification level of the unit is increased 1 rank, to a max of 5. If you have the Defensive Promotion, it is increased 2 levels each turn, still to a max of 5.

If you ever move, the instant that you do so your fortification bonus is removed.

Idea for a new approach:

Fortification Level is still bumped up 1 rank if a unit did not move the last turn, and this happens to a max of 5. But if the unit's fortification level is OVER 5, then it is reduced by (Fortification Level / 5) points (so a unit between 6 and 9 loses 1 Level, between 10 and 14 the unit loses 2 levels...). This means that for a standard unit, they can get normal results from fortification. For a unit with Defensive, they will fortify to 10/20/30/40/50/55/60/65/75/85/95/100 (stepping up 2 levels per turn till 50, then 1 level per turn beyond that)

Now... to make use of this change, you need to have a method of increasing your fortification bonus beyond the normal level. To do that, you modify Treetop Defense to increase the fortification level of all units by 5 (instead of just capping it instantly, since now there is no cap) and it applies a promotion which grants 5 levels of fortification per turn (to prevent the need of casting the spell each turn to reach phenomenal fortification caps).

Naturally, Earth Elementals would gain a spell which they can only cast if they have not moved or attacked for the turn which grants them a massive fortification bonus, as well as pumping up their chances to defend the stack.

And finally, the reason that I am posting the idea here, is that the Dural would gain natural access to either a spell or promotion which enhances their fortification capabilities. My thoughts initially were a in-City only promotion which grants a large fortification bonus, but it would also be nice to give them a 1-shot spell which can be used in enemy territory when forced to go on the offensive (spell requires you haven't attacked for the turn and have a fortification bonus lower than 80% and it sets your fortification bonus to 100 instantly... something like that)

What have the dural got to do with fortification? They are artists and students, not masons. You should give the spell/promotion to the Bannor. They are the ones who were originally meant to be into fortification.

It would be nice to hear Vehem's opinion of the Dural.

well, they are masons as well. they have quite a lot of unique statues and they love wonders so one gets the feeling that they like building stuff :D nice idea xienwolf!

Well, it was meant in this light as a "cool mechanic" mostly, to set a distinct flavor for them militarily, since most of the toys now are builder oriented. The connection was loosely based on them emphasizing personal capability (more attentive of your surroundings, so can spot the enemy coming and utilize the terrain better).

Just a thought, but with all the talk of giving forts a boost... Perhaps the trick should be done via a spell that could be cast in cities with colleges, it would take 3 turns to learn how to construct a fort.

Meh, wonder builders worries me. I'm not the best player, I know... But on Monarch already if I want a wonder, I have to take it by force because the CPU is already far to skilled at cranking out every wonder in the game. Not sure I'd like the consequence of a "wonder whoring" civilization....

Is it a surprise I play noble? I want those wonders. Sure if some AI expands quickly it will get some but I have a chance too.

Quite frankly, this civ looked so borin that I looked at the pedia entries, mainly the 1 for Karlsson, and went, "Meh". They need somethin more unique than bein students. I mean students don't fit well into a dark fantasy mod. (Usually, in all the fantasy books I've read and games I've played, students get massacared or end up fleein the scene. ::Students exit stage left in extreme panic.::) After all, they're not magic students like the Amurites and they need a LOT MORE. I like the forts idea, but it needs more than that. It jus doesn't have a lot of draw.

I'm with Rocklikeafool,

I don't get the point of this civ and frankly I think they are an anomaly in this modmod. It sounds to me like they are supposed to be agnostic-scholars, they are humanistic and do not believe in the worth of the gods instead focusing on the great works that can be accomplished...

whatever.

I agree a wonder bonus could be a little too much. Industrious civs in vanilla work because there are more than one, all the wonders being clustered in one civ if the Dural are in the game would be pretty lame.

I originally thought their key feature were powerful and interesting unique buildings, but the statues currently in the game are just horrible. I think a builder focused civilization could be interesting, but they definitely need to be reworked. I could see trying different buildings with unique bonuses. Maybe bonuses to tech progression with penalties to troop building or upkeep, to emphasize a civ with an army that relies on it's technological advancements rather than brute force.

Bumping an old thread, oh well.

Was just thinking the Great Works worldspell might be very strategically different were a "Supplies" unit as is seen in the latest base FFH2, created in say, every city, or every city with a certain population or something. I.e., here's a dozen "instant building kits", best of luck with them!

They could also be given the capacity to build the Supplies unit which would fit in with their builder nature. This essentially allows your cities up and running quickly by having your central productions cities ship the necessary components to your outlying cities which are low on populations and hence production.

Personally I'd still like to see their military be able to perform worker actions, as this would a) give them a boost, b) fit in with their background and c) gives them a unique flavour when thye are played.

Metal Line - Build Forts
Recon Line - Build Camps
Horse Line - Build Pastures
Magic Line - Build Plantations (Regeants)
Students of FoL - Build Farms
Students of RoK - Build Mines
Students of OO - Build Nets (?)

I do in general like the idea of some or all civs being able to build "Supplies" units, possibly unlocked at some tech like Construction, Trade, don't know if something higher would be appropriate. Maybe tied to a trait, like Industrious. Maybe further tied to a "Supplies" enabling building, whether you had to build it, or whether it could only be created by the sacrifice of a Great Engineer or Great Merchant (these seem high, but Supplies are an incredibly useful multipurpose unit, basically transferred production with a slight "time" cost as far as movement from point A to point B).

The Dural would be included, though, among those who might have a unique bent towards Supplies.

I'd like it if they had many new UBs since they only have one right now. If these would be made slightly more expensive but much more effective then their counterparts, then it would really promote specialization.

It would be good to tie the building of the Supplies unit to the Industious trait actually. I don't play FF but in vanilla FFH I consider that trait very weak, and in civs with two leaders, the one with the Industrious trait is almost always weaker. Os-Gabella I'm looking at you.

Oh Heck, just add the tolerant trait, and let them build everything, and if you really want to mess around, after the Dural build special building x in conquerd city y, give a pop up saying that these plans for building x can be brought to the capital (you can build x in all cities)
for z many coins, (100, 200, 500 depending on the coolness of the building) Ditto other civs units, and if you really want to go for broke give them access to the "non religios priests"
It would take a while to get there, but it could be a awesome late game.

While we are on the subject of dual, there world spell needs to be scaled for game speed.

I played a game on quick and used the world spell to put a collage in each city. Got the Dual on a marathon high to low game, 100 hammers was a joke.

Top Bottom