• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

The end of Religion is inevitable?

What if the atheist is wrong?

Atheist is wrong all the time. Unlike a believer he should be ready to adjust when new information comes out. Then again, as Valka keeps insisting Atheist is not a one size fits all.

Hello to all of you from a plane flying over Budapest! I am closer to God right now than any of you down there, hehe.

(Using internet on a plane for the first time. Kinda slow. But good enough for CFC+Spotify)

Rationality accepts the existence of the unknown.
Anyone here ever have a 1:1 convo with a god? What did they say and what did you ask?
I talk to Jesus all the time. He doesn't speak, not with words, but with the Word. Answers are found in the scriptures. Many bibles have the words of Jesus in red text. Read them and Jesus is talking to you. The Holy Spirit is with me always. He works in mysterious ways. Many people have spoken with God and their testimony is the Bible. There are many evidences of the faith. What would you ask of God?

Atheist is wrong all the time. Unlike a believer he should be ready to adjust when new information comes out. Then again, as Valka keeps insisting Atheist is not a one size fits all.

Hello to all of you from a plane flying over Budapest! I am closer to God right now than any of you down there, hehe.

(Using internet on a plane for the first time. Kinda slow. But good enough for CFC+Spotify)

"Ready to adjust to new information" isn't the same as "wrong all the time."

I say that atheism isn't one size fits all, because in my experience it's true. No two atheists will have the same precise experience of being atheist any more than two believers have the same precise experience of being believers. The common denominator for atheists is that we don't believe in any deity or religion.

Btw... how does being in a plane make you "closer to God... than any of (us)"? Isn't your god supposedly everywhere at once? If heaven is supposed to consist of people sitting on clouds, what happens on cloudless days?

I'm reminded of the summer of 1981 when I had a babysitting job for a week or so. There were three kids - one was 4, another was 5, and the oldest was either 6 or 7. The 4-year-old was a cute kid - all I had to do to keep him happy was keep making him Cheez Whiz sandwiches. The middle kid drove me up the wall. He had all kinds of questions - "Is God in the sky? Is God in the TV? Is God behind the couch?" And so on and on and on. Of course I wasn't going to tell them what I really thought, since I didn't want to get fired. "Ask your mother" is one of the most useful phrases anyone ever came up with.

Btw... how does being in a plane make you "closer to God... than any of (us)"? Isn't your god supposedly everywhere at once? If heaven is supposed to consist of people sitting on clouds, what happens on cloudless days?

Just a joke. Since many people are convinced that god is “up above”, one could say I was closer to god than many others at 10km above sea level. Not as close as ISS crew, but still, felt pretty elevated!

Shook captain’s hand on the way in. Cap was this 2m tall friendly guy with a smile that makes aerophobic demons run away in terror. One hell of a firm handshake he gave me in return. Gave me all the confidence I needed in having a safe flight ahead.

Rationality accepts the existence of the unknown.

I talk to Jesus all the time. He doesn't speak, not with words, but with the Word. Answers are found in the scriptures. Many bibles have the words of Jesus in red text. Read them and Jesus is talking to you. The Holy Spirit is with me always. He works in mysterious ways. Many people have spoken with God and their testimony is the Bible. There are many evidences of the faith. What would you ask of God?
I'll take that as a "no."

Atheist is wrong all the time. Unlike a believer he should be ready to adjust when new information comes out.
So do why do so many of my fellow atheists treat their rejection of man-made deities as some kind of superior feeling of having solving a problem for all time?

Joij was trying to catch theists in a trap about putting their faith in the wrong thing, and that they'd only find out when it was too late.

What if it's the case for us atheists? It's not a scenario that can be adjusted for.

So do why do so many of my fellow atheists treat their rejection of man-made deities as some kind of superior feeling of having solving a problem for all time?

Joij was trying to catch theists in a trap about putting their faith in the wrong thing, and that they'd only find out when it was too late.

What if it's the case for us atheists? It's not a scenario that can be adjusted for.

So far I've not seen any evidence that we're wrong.

Not sure what you're refering to as solving a problem for all time.

The difference is an atheist lacks faith into the thing. It's what makes an atheist.

So I'm puzzled how not putting faith into a thing which has no evidence going for it could backfire.
That scenario can be adjusted for when proper evidence is presented.

If your existence is waiting for people to die and then going, "ha!" You'll get one for everybody that goes first.

Here is an interesting thought experiment. Read the Bible and try to live by Christ's standards for a week.

Most devout Christians that I know despise religion as much as atheists do. We equate religion with the Pharisees and Sadducees as did Jesus. Many of the claims of atheists like Dawkins and Hitchens about the harm that religion has done are true. But true faith has managed to accomplish epic works even when burdened with the skin and bones of the Catholic church. The problem with religion is that it consists of mostly unregenerated souls.

So obviously the world is stuck with religion as it has proved so handy for ambitious men. Religion has declined as an organizing principle as other ideologies have surged. Swapping out the church for communism is hardly a bargain though. One of the main reasons that religion has waned is because of nuclear technology, which has produced a lull in great power war. This, as we can see from the news, is coming to an end. The horrors of war will rejuvenate religion as survivors will see that ideas such as democracy are not a panacea.

One huge flaw in thinking that science will end religion (or other supposed evil things) is that science hasn't changed the nature of man.

Even after the rapture, which will be explained away, even then, religion will remain and also the concept of men declaring themselves gods.

Many here like to speak of Christian sects. And do not speak well of them. That's actually pretty accurate. Religions of all kinds are a different thing entirely than true faith. There was a time when I thought that the many non-denominational churches that are springing up across the world represent the true faith because they organize themselves around the scriptures more closely than mainline churches with well-established doctrines, but these too seem to go astray.

Here is an interesting thought experiment. Read the Bible and try to live by Christ's standards for a week.

Oh. So if I'm hungry and see a fruit tree and it's the wrong season to have fruit, I should curse the tree so it dies, instead of having the patience to wait, or just go find something else to eat.

Kill innocent trees for what isn't their fault. Gotcha.

:huh:

Most devout Christians that I know despise religion as much as atheists do. We equate religion with the Pharisees and Sadducees as did Jesus. Many of the claims of atheists like Dawkins and Hitchens about the harm that religion has done are true. But true faith has managed to accomplish epic works even when burdened with the skin and bones of the Catholic church. The problem with religion is that it consists of mostly unregenerated souls.

So obviously the world is stuck with religion as it has proved so handy for ambitious men. Religion has declined as an organizing principle as other ideologies have surged. Swapping out the church for communism is hardly a bargain though. One of the main reasons that religion has waned is because of nuclear technology, which has produced a lull in great power war. This, as we can see from the news, is coming to an end. The horrors of war will rejuvenate religion as survivors will see that ideas such as democracy are not a panacea.

One huge flaw in thinking that science will end religion (or other supposed evil things) is that science hasn't changed the nature of man.

Even after the rapture, which will be explained away, even then, religion will remain and also the concept of men declaring themselves gods.

Many here like to speak of Christian sects. And do not speak well of them. That's actually pretty accurate. Religions of all kinds are a different thing entirely than true faith. There was a time when I thought that the many non-denominational churches that are springing up across the world represent the true faith because they organize themselves around the scriptures more closely than mainline churches with well-established doctrines, but these too seem to go astray.
Despite all the ills its done, I don't think there is another organization of humans that has done more good than Catholic Church. It's just not your or my church.

Despite all the ills its done, I don't think there is another organization of humans that has done more good than Catholic Church. It's just not your or my church.
Say that to any indigenous person in Canada who either went through the residential school system or who is related to someone who did, and you're not likely to get agreement from them.

Even after the rapture, which will be explained away
If the rapture were to happen, and hundreds of thousands or millions of living people just disappear, such an event could not just be explained away. Such an event would certainly be provocative and call many things into question. I would put that on the same level as the arrival of an alien space ship that parks itself over a major city.

In 2004 over 200,000 people died in the Indian Ocean tidal wave. I wonder if the rapture will be masked by a simalar disaterous event. It does not seem out of place for Jehova to use such an event to call his faithful to Heaven.

Top Bottom