• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

The end of Religion is inevitable?

There is really no point this thread anymore. It was mildly interesting at first, but any discussion of what counts as a religion or how you measure an increase in religiosity or religiousness got bogged down in question of church marriages. Whether the demise of religion is inevitable may be arguable, but what is inevitable is that any internet thread even tangentially related to religion devolves into absolutely inane exchanges

Its like that experiment where the stooges (in on the experiment) guess the line length wrong and most of the actual subjects will go along even tho they know it's wrong

Any child can see most of religion is absurd but indoctrination is a powerful thing.
This being said, there needs to be made a distinction between belief and religions as an organized, directed and hierarchical structure built around exploiting belief.

There is nothing fundamentally wrong in my view about believing what ever you want. Especially since, thanks to the passage of time belief as such has become so ingrained in our cultures that abandoning it completely often means abandoning our roots. And there is something to be said about the comforting effect of believing in things. Even the staunchest of atheists must admit to believing in completely makebelief idiocies like truth, justice, mercy and human kindness. Not because they are actually real but because a world without at least a chance of theme existing is too horrible to imagine. Even though we do demonstrably live in one.

My observations were directed only at the later, at organized religious groups. Those in my view tend to be instruments of power that exploit belief for their own nefarious ends.

Actually, I think the average OT poster is an information junkie, to some extent. Like Johnny Five in the Short Circuit movie, we crave "input". So even if we don't believe it or it's not immediately relevant to our personal lives, we tend to absorb the information.
This a is good observation, it's definitely a compulsivity, one which I both love & hate within myself.
There is nothing fundamentally wrong in my view about believing what ever you want. Especially since, thanks to the passage of time belief as such has become so ingrained in our cultures that abandoning it completely often means abandoning our roots.
This is it's own tragedy as well though, one that I don't often see talked about, the number of people rejected from their families & communities just for admitting to doubt. I couldn't imagine abandoning family members just because they have different spiritual ideas to me.

And there is something to be said about the comforting effect of believing in things. Even the staunchest of atheists must admit to believing in completely makebelief idiocies like truth, justice, mercy and human kindness. Not because they are actually real but because a world without at least a chance of theme existing is too horrible to imagine.
They are as real as we make them. Mercy & justice (karma if you will) may not exist 'out there' but thru out actions we can make them exist. I always thought a good line of a vigilante in a movie would be "I don't believe in karma, I AM KARMA". Belief that some otherworldly power will sort out one's affairs is a type of passivity I can't help but be disgusted by, and this is by design, all empires love religion because religion placates. You can train a dog to wait five seconds for a treat he can smell but only man can be trained to wait his whole life for an invisible reward for his meekness.
My observations were directed only at the later, at organized religious groups. Those in my view tend to be instruments of power that exploit belief for their own nefarious ends.
Mine as well, I'm all for people having their own spiritual ideas based on their own life experiences, whether these beliefs are 'correct' or not isn't really important, if one's belief keeps one going from one day to the day have @ it, it's the coercion that rankles me.

Extremely funny and cool that the thread is not atheists who don't want to listen to theists now having a go and theists and vice versa. Definitely valid and on-topic, good job everyone.

This kind of superiority complex is part of why I don't advertise I'm an atheist. Too many people use it as a crutch to position themselves as superior. Religious folk can do this too, which proves only one thing: that humans are human.

I can't help but be disgusted by, and this is by design, all empires love religion because religion placates. You can train a dog to wait five seconds for a treat he can smell but only man can be trained to wait his whole life for an invisible reward for his meekness.
Rather like another form of "bread and circuses." Some people are fine with the more usual sorts, whether in ancient Rome, or in the here and now. So many people in my province are thisclose to homelessness or getting sick and too many have had to choose between utility bills and food. There are so many things that need funding, but it's "too expensive" or "we're still paying down the $$$$$$$$$ debt the NDP wracked up in the 4 years out of the last 89 years".

But by golly, the premier had a few hundred million dollars to build a new hockey rink that most of us will never be able to afford to go to! (hockey is the Canadian equivalent of the 'circuses' part of that term)

Her followers are okay with that, as long as she makes sure that nobody pushes covid boosters, masks don't come back, and if the pandemic flares up again, there won't be any social distancing requirements in the churches, but they'll blame the NDP if people get sick. Or Justin Trudeau.

How badly did I do?

As far as I can tell, you did just fine - apparently much better than he said his students did. I will quote one more line.

2. In what language were they written? Greek or Aramaic

Greek. He was asking about the 27 books that are in the NT and they were originally written in Greek. I should look up how we know they were originally written in Greek.

Here is one of my opinions about quiz taking. It is a skill and a confidence game. How much confidence do we have in giving an answer - and if we are choosing between two possible answers, how often is it we choose the correct answer - or at least the answer the quiz giver is looking for. I still believe a lot of the people on the CFC community are very skilled at quiz taking and either guess correctly (more than 50% of the time) and lose very little time on the question in the situation where time is limited.

Extremely funny and cool that the thread is not atheists who don't want to listen to theists now having a go and theists and vice versa. Definitely valid and on-topic, good job everyone.

This kind of superiority complex is part of why I don't advertise I'm an atheist. Too many people use it as a crutch to position themselves as superior. Religious folk can do this too, which proves only one thing: that humans are human.

Yes, I used to make "atheist" a big part of my identity, then I turned 20. On a somewhat-related note it's not really a coincidence that New Atheist "philosophers" from the 2000s are now all alt-right freaks.

It is the mindset of an undercurrent.

"I don't believe in karma, I AM KARMA". Belief that some otherworldly power will sort out one's affairs is a type of passivity I can't help but be disgusted by, and this is by design
You do not understand karma. It is an ancient Hindu principle that has carried over into Buddhism and western pop culture. It has close ties to the idea of reincarnation and how souls accumulate bindings of good and bad actions that work themselves into and out of balance over life times. Like most religious concepts over time they change and schools of thought develop that might not always agree. The western pop culture idea of karma has very little in common with the actual religious ideas found in Eastern religions. There is no "otherworldly power" doing anything. Physics has currently settled on four primary forces: gravity, the weak force, electromagnetism, and the strong force. Within Hinduism, you can think of karma as that type of primary"force' at work. It is always there grinding away in the background as you live your lives.

Last edited:
Yes, I used to make "atheist" a big part of my identity, then I turned 20. On a somewhat-related note it's not really a coincidence that New Atheist "philosophers" from the 2000s are now all alt-right freaks.

It may be a past battle for someone occupying a walled apartment in NY (or, wherever you live...), but in the slums of India the battle against religious freaks is still On. Beautiful Ancient Traditions of stoning women to death is just one reason atheism remains relevant. Atheism (embodied in rejection of theistic bullfeathers) is a healthy mindset to hold, generally. I've met people professing that learning is a sin against creator. A healthy person should pray instead. I heard it is healthy to hate other religions and avoid their followers. I take it you were lucky to evade all that, after you turned 20. Yet many people are still within that lousy paradigm, they need ammunition.

For people who have to be concerned that their politicians are trying to set up a theocracy and nullify laws and rights that were hard-won and a long time coming, I'm more open about being atheist than I have been for decades. It helps cut through so much tap dancing.

You do not understand karma. It is an ancient Hindu principle that has carried over into Buddhism and western pop culture. It has close ties to the idea of reincarnation and how souls accumulate bindings of good and bad actions that work themselves into and out of balance over life times. Like most religious concepts over time they change and schools of thought develop that might not always agree. The western pop culture idea of karma has very little in common with the actual religious ideas found in Eastern religions. There is no "otherworldly power" doing anything. Physics has currently seyyled on four primary forces: gravity, the weak force, electromagnetism, and the strong force. Within Hinduism, you can think of karma as that type of primary"force' at work. It is always there grinding away in the background as you live your lives.

It's still mystical and the threat of reincarnation into a fly is similar to the threat of going to hell.

Fear and manipulation by the priestly class to control people's actions.

For people who have to be concerned that their politicians are trying to set up a theocracy and nullify laws and rights that were hard-won and a long time coming, I'm more open about being atheist than I have been for decades. It helps cut through so much tap dancing.
Setting up any kind of repressive regime can be done without religion. A few commenters here, as well as certain post-likers, often dunk on known Communist regimes for being repressive. Religion doesn't come into it.

Religion is an excuse in these situations you're describing - not the fault.

And being an atheist doesn't help anyone resolve it because you being an atheist isn't going to stop a country becoming or being a theocracy. Advocacy (if possible) and legal challenges (if possible) would. Both of these are possible whether you're a theist, an atheist, or somewhere in-between.

Setting up any kind of repressive regime can be done without religion. A few commenters here, as well as certain post-likers, often dunk on known Communist regimes for being repressive. Religion doesn't come into it.

Religion is an excuse in these situations you're describing - not the fault.

And being an atheist doesn't help anyone resolve it because you being an atheist isn't going to stop a country becoming or being a theocracy. Advocacy (if possible) and legal challenges (if possible) would. Both of these are possible whether you're a theist, an atheist, or somewhere in-between.

You're looking at this from the outside. There are a lot of other things I didn't mention, because it would basically take hours, and probably end up derailing everything. There are people here in this province who are afraid to tell others that they're atheist. They're afraid of being attacked, fired, shunned by family and friends and colleagues, and it affects their ability to stand up for their rights. They're afraid to let other people know what they think and feel, and if I can cut through the hesitation by telling them, "Hey, I'm atheist too," it cuts through a lot of dithering and can help open up a conversation.

So don't presume you know what I'm talking about. You're not here.

You're looking at this from the outside. There are a lot of other things I didn't mention, because it would basically take hours, and probably end up derailing everything. There are people here in this province who are afraid to tell others that they're atheist. They're afraid of being attacked, fired, shunned by family and friends and colleagues, and it affects their ability to stand up for their rights. They're afraid to let other people know what they think and feel, and if I can cut through the hesitation by telling them, "Hey, I'm atheist too," it cuts through a lot of dithering and can help open up a conversation.

So don't presume you know what I'm talking about. You're not here.
And you were speaking in somewhat general terms, when you were describing a very contextual use for declaring that you're an atheist which benefits discussions where you are.

Regardless, this brings me back to the fact that the politicians you're describing would be trying this even if religion wasn't a factor. Don't blame religion for their ills.

For example, the Tory party in the UK doesn't do much campaigning on Christian values (of course, members can and have on an individual basis) and it's had very little trouble using its legal majority to do all kinds of nefarious stuff. Bad is bad, regardless of what it dresses itself up in.

And you were speaking in somewhat general terms, when you were describing a very contextual use for declaring that you're an atheist which benefits discussions where you are.

Regardless, this brings me back to the fact that the politicians you're describing would be trying this even if religion wasn't a factor. Don't blame religion for their ills.

For example, the Tory party in the UK doesn't do much campaigning on Christian values (of course, members can and have on an individual basis) and it's had very little trouble using its legal majority to do all kinds of nefarious stuff. Bad is bad, regardless of what it dresses itself up in.
Again: YOU'RE NOT HERE. You have NO idea what crazy BS is going on in provincial politics here in Alberta. STOP trying to tell me what the right-wing sociopaths would be doing here. I know for them it's all about power and money, and they'd do it even without religion, but the fact is that they're using religion, any way they can.

Look up the Take Back Alberta group. They're maneuvering behind the scenes in the provincial party and shoehorning themselves into municipal politics. One of them got elected to city council here a few weeks ago in a byelection.

Again: YOU'RE NOT HERE. You have NO idea what crazy BS is going on in provincial politics here in Alberta. STOP trying to tell me what the right-wing sociopaths would be doing here. I know for them it's all about power and money, and they'd do it even without religion, but the fact is that they're using religion, any way they can.

Look up the Take Back Alberta group. They're maneuvering behind the scenes in the provincial party and shoehorning themselves into municipal politics. One of them got elected to city council here a few weeks ago in a byelection.
I can read the news, and I know Canadians who aren't on these forums. With respect, I'm not unaware. Does that make me an expert? Far from it. But I'm not saying that the things you're saying are happening aren't happening. I'm not arguing with you over what is happening.

I'm disagreeing with this athiesm vs. religion thing where the crimes of rubbish, horrendous people are blamed on the religion and not the people. I know plenty of crappy atheists. There are famous, crappy atheists. Do we blame atheism for that? Should we? Plenty of people I've known have used atheism to feel superior to others. Is that on the people, or on atheism?

And if it's on the people, why can't that be the same for right-wing chuds abusing religious principles? Or Catholic bishops on credible counts of sexual assault, and so on, and so forth.

I can read the news, and I know Canadians who aren't on these forums. With respect, I'm not unaware. Does that make me an expert? Far from it. But I'm not saying that the things you're saying are happening aren't happening. I'm not arguing with you over what is happening.

I'm disagreeing with this athiesm vs. religion thing where the crimes of rubbish, horrendous people are blamed on the religion and not the people. I know plenty of crappy atheists. There are famous, crappy atheists. Do we blame atheism for that? Should we? Plenty of people I've known have used atheism to feel superior to others. Is that on the people, or on atheism?

And if it's on the people, why can't that be the same for right-wing chuds abusing religious principles? Or Catholic bishops on credible counts of sexual assault, and so on, and so forth.

This is not about trotting out the "Stalin was evil, why aren't you eviscerating him?" argument.

You're mixing things in that I wasn't talking about, and ignoring the essence of what I am talking about.

Maybe we should just drop this interaction, because you're still trying to 'splain a situation to me that I see and deal with every day and you don't.

but in the slums of India the battle against religious freaks is still On
It's more fascistic freaks than religious ones. I expanded a little on this in my reply to the original post.

Beautiful Ancient Traditions of stoning women to death is just one reason atheism remains relevant.
??? What traditions? Where? This just comes across like the trad-cath post hoc justification for the conquistadores, or the neo-lib justifications for Western imperialism

Same here. I went through a Dawkins stage in my early twenties, but between growing up and my love of history making me realise just how much the New Atheist movement ironically promotes dogma over evidence, I got over it reasonably quickly. These days, I am still an atheist, but the only time I ever actively think about being such is when I get into an online discussion about religion....

Top Bottom