The future of Tesla

Yeah when I watched that video I was like "why is he rolling out a model 3 for a model y unveiling?" until I realized it was a slightly different car.

Any bets on when Tesla will crash? I think the wheels ate about to fall off with this quarter's results.

They have lowered prices, raised prices, lowered prices, pressed employees into "volunteering" to deliver cars, made this new car presentation to try to get money from reservations. They're desperate for money before the end of the quarter. They'll probably survive one more, so, June/July is my guess. Nearly blind guess, this is the information available to guess with.

And I feel like the 80% commonality thing is a bogie he's throwing out to gin up investor support.

They said something similar about the F35 as well. I don't know how it actually turned out, but it didn't help the budget...

Any bets on when Tesla will crash? I think the wheels ate about to fall off with this quarter's results.

They have lowered prices, raised prices, lowered prices, pressed employees into "volunteering" to deliver cars, made this new car presentation to try to get money from reservations. They're desperate for money before the end of the quarter. They'll probably survive one more, so, June/July is my guess. Nearly blind guess, this is the information available to guess with.
I want to believe he'll pull off a win but I'm not sure he can. Which company will buy Tesla? I think it'll be GM.

A year ago, or even 6 months, I could see it being acquired after its ridiculous stock market capitalization crashed. But things are changing very fast for the auto industry. They are already in a recession. GM started cutting capacity and costs before Ford, so I agree they are the most likely american buyer for a bankrupt Tesla. But even so they might not have the cash to spare. And I don't know about Fiat Chrysler's position.
The germans are unlikely to buy it, they want to be seen doing their own thing on electric cars. The chinese will be barred from buying. The japanese, Toyota perhaps?

Tesla and Panasonic are winding down their partnership or at the very least are not pulling the trigger on Gigafactory expansion.

Tesla has made it harder to buy the $35,000 version of the Model 3 - it's no longer on their website and you have to call them to make a reservation. They are now allowing people to lease the Model 3 but the down payment is $5k and the monthly payment is over $500. I have no idea why the price is so damn high. I lease a nicely-equipped Malibu hybrid of similar cost to the Model 3 and my lease is only $200 per month and I think the down payment was like $3k.

Deliveries for the Model 3 were also down this last quarter.

Last edited:
There are plenty of electric cars, the demand for teslas at that price point simply isn't there. Musk himself confessed it. China was a diversion and Europe has even more competition than the US.

Tesla is here to stay.

There are plenty of electric cars, the demand for teslas at that price point simply isn't there. Musk himself confessed it. China was a diversion and Europe has even more competition than the US.

They seem to be the "Apple" version of electric cars. Big on name brand, more expensive than their equivalent models from competitors. You can buy electric cars from other manufacturers (Prius Prime, Chevy Bolt, etc) for less than a Tesla. No one in their right mind would be a Tesla when you can get electrics for a lot less elsewhere unless it's just for the name brand.

Their solar panels seem to be the same thing.

There's good demand for all of their products, they are not built out to deliver at the scale of their demand which is hurting their sales and also raising costs. They lose money on the base $35k model which is why they're de-emphasizing it. There are also reports that deliveries of that version are pretty hit or miss and some people have been left hanging for extended periods.

Their production of Model 3 went down, to well below what they claimed would be. Their battery partner decided there is no future in it. I don't think this is due to inability to produce, it's due to inability to sell in higher numbers.
They would sell more if it was cheaper, of course. But they can't sell it cheaper, so they're stuck.

They only way they might make some money would be by continuing to take advantage of stupid laws that push for trading in "emissions" between manufacturers. But that is bound to be temporary.

Their production of Model 3 went down, to well below what they claimed would be. Their battery partner decided there is no future in it. I don't think this is due to inability to produce, it's due to inability to sell in higher numbers.
They're everywhere and growing.

They would sell more if it was cheaper, of course. But they can't sell it cheaper, so they're stuck.

They only way they might make some money would be by continuing to take advantage of stupid laws that push for trading in "emissions" between manufacturers. But that is bound to be temporary.

They made recently a deal with Fiat-Chrysler to sell emissions credits.

(Reuters) - Italian-U.S. carmaker Fiat Chrysler Automobiles NV (FCA) has agreed to pay electric carmaker Tesla Inc hundreds of millions of euros to allow Tesla vehicles to be counted in its fleet to avoid fines for violating new European Union emission rules.
Tesla has made over $1 billion in the last three years by selling emissions credits in the United States, according to its annual report to the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission. Regulations allow a manufacturer of zero-emission vehicles to earn credits and sell excess credits to other manufacturers.
FCA formed an open pool with Tesla on Feb. 25, the FT said, citing a declaration with the European Commission.
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...millions-of-euros-to-pool-fleet-idUSKCN1RJ03I

Yeah I knew, but it can't last: strategically it doesn't make sense for a large car-maker to be subsidizing a potential competitor.

Yeah I knew, but it can't last: strategically it doesn't make sense for a large car-maker to be subsidizing a potential competitor.

FCA is aiming at another market segment for electric cars. No real competition.
The cute small Fiat 500 in a fantastic beautifull Italian design.

It really is a beautiful car. I almost leased a 500e but went for the Spark EV in what was basically a coin toss.

Good, that whole episode was disgraceful and there should be consequences for what he did.

Another example of Musk's silly tecnho-fetishism collapsing.
Not really? It's certainly not the hyperloop as it was advertised but at the same time, a vast subterranean network that gets cars off the roads and helps with congestion would be helpful for many communities like LA. The issue that I think can sink this whole thing is safety. I think if we had a major earthquake and ten thousand people were stuck in the tubes in the dark (or worse, killed), that would be the end of the road for the project forever.

Tesla needs to differentiate their cars from one another. I get it that they all have a distinct Tesla look but if I can't tell a model 3 from an S from an X at a quick glance, then that's a problem imo.

Top Bottom