The future of Tesla

Not really? It's certainly not the hyperloop as it was advertised but at the same time, a vast subterranean network that gets cars off the roads and helps with congestion would be helpful for many communities like LA.
It's not simply that that it wasn't the specific mechanism. It's that Musk promised something innovative and unprecedented, and what he's delivering is something which already exists. It's a dent in his technological utopianism, and his own self-cultivated identity as a science-hero.

It may still be that the project is an unprecedented success, a genuine triumph of innovation, but at that point it's a success of civil engineering and urban planning, which is a much drier sort of futurism that the kind we usually associate with Musk.

It doesn't, because Telsas are actually for *******s. ;)

No way they're legit awesome cars. And I think about the only two people I know who own them:
1) my uncle who is very loving and emotionally generous with people. A family man who worked body-wrecking overtime doing blue collar work to make his way.
2) my friend who, hard to describe, was a true and humble homey when it counted. But also f that guy for not inviting me to his wedding. But also that was me not keeping up with him.

It's a statement mostly aimed at people with fast/sporty cars in general. Making it more expensive or awesomer or morally aspirational(in a way a Festiva's weren't) isn't going to alter the spirit in which that "*******" was offered. :lol:

Okay Mr. Buckled Hat let me lacerate myself for wanting to have fun ;)

Oh, go ahead and have fun. I mean, it's basically a nice set of rubber testicles to hang from your hitch, but if it does it for you I suppose there are worse ways to blow 35 grand. :mischief:

Well, at least you aren't talking about landscaping I suppose. Some of which is really cool. Higher ******* quotient tho.

Last edited:
One day I'm gonna show up to your house driving a Model Z and we can do donuts in the nearest Walmart parking lot.

Oh dude. This is northern Illinois. The roads are relatively flat, they're relatively straight, and I know where there are stretches of good pavement light traffic and no cops. If you think you'd get away with the parking lot, you are sadly mistaken! >.> <.< >.>

Elon Musk's latest wire-brained idea.
BBC said:
Elon Musk reveals brain-hacking plans

NeuraLink, a company set up by Elon Musk to explore ways to connect the human brain to a computer interface, has applied to US regulators to start trialling its device on humans.

The system has been tested on a monkey that was able to control a computer with its brain, according to Mr Musk.

The firm said it wanted to focus on patients with severe neurological conditions.

But ultimately Mr Musk envisions a future of "superhuman cognition".

Merging with AI
The device the firm has developed consists of a tiny probe containing more than 3,000 electrodes attached to flexible threads - thinner than a human hair - which can then monitor the activity of 1,000 neurons.

The advantage of this system, according to the firm, is that it would be able to target very specific areas of the brain, which would make it surgically safer. It would also be able to analyse recordings using machine learning, which would then work out what type of stimulation to give a patient.

NeuraLink did not explain how the system translated brain activity or how the device was able to stimulate brain cells.
https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-49004004

Of course, based on past experience, he'll have to dial back his revolutionary brain-hacking technology to a baseball bat with a nail in it that he waves menacingly at you.

But, like, in an industry-disrupting way.

Last edited:
https://www.cnbc.com/2019/10/02/tesla-tsla-3q-2019-production-and-delivery-numbers.html

I recall a year ago some doubters in this thread said it was impossible for Tesla to make 200,000 cars per year. Nine months later they are on track to building 360,000 cars in 2019. All at very high, best in the industry, profit margins. The company extended its lead in battery technology so that no one can match their power density, life span of battery, or cost per unit to produce. The Chinese factory is ahead of schedule and they are actually bringing more and more of the battery production in house using tech Tesla owns instead of working with subcontractors like Panasonic.

Are any of you doubters changing your tune based upon the evidence?

Last edited:
Are any of you doubters changing your tune based upon the evidence?

Not only am I not changing my tune, I remain convinced that it will be either go bankrupt on into a firesale in 2020.

Tesla's sales in its "home market", the US, collapsed 40% in this quarter, and are down 10% yoy. Their future in China is non-existent as the trade war is gong to continue heating up and the car market in China is also collapsing on its own.

They're hanging through now just on Europe and the remaining subsidies there, that won't last.

Lmfao inno in 10 years you’ll still be warning us of the imminent collapse of the 10 years bigger Tesla.

Not only am I not changing my tune, I remain convinced that it will be either go bankrupt on into a firesale in 2020.

Tesla's sales in its "home market", the US, collapsed 40% in this quarter, and are down 10% yoy. Their future in China is non-existent as the trade war is gong to continue heating up and the car market in China is also collapsing on its own.

They're hanging through now just on Europe and the remaining subsidies there, that won't last.

Which one is “this quarter”? Last reported quarter, June 30, 2019, Tesla reported 59% growth (yoy) of total sales to $6.3bn.

Spoiler chart :

Last edited:
YTD Sep 2019 Tesla model 3 is the most sold car in NL.
Not only most sold electric car, or most sold model...
with that model Tesla has sold more cars than of any other car manufacturer
It is certainly supported by the Dutch fiscal policy whereby electric lease cars (from your company) get a lower tax fee on the person using it, but the traditional high scoring Volkswagen Passat as Lease car is surpassed.

Last edited:
Which one is “this quarter”? Last reported quarter, June 30, 2019, Tesla reported 59% growth (yoy) of total sales to $6.3bn.

This quarter means the quarter that just ended and I specifically said the US. These are estimates done by third parties, Tesla has been trying to hide the numbers per region. But I believe you will soon see "official confirmation" of their decline in sales in the US market.

They are doing well in Europe, but how much of that depends on temporary circumstances: more leases instead of outright sales to end consumers, and remaining subsidies.

This quarter means the quarter that just ended and I specifically said the US. These are estimates done by third parties, Tesla has been trying to hide the numbers per region. But I believe you will soon see "official confirmation" of their decline in sales in the US market.

They are doing well in Europe, but how much of that depends on temporary circumstances: more leases instead of outright sales to end consumers, and remaining subsidies.

Well, I am not inclined to tilt to either side of the argument, not invested in it, mildly curious. Growing total revenue consecutively and yoy is what shareholders are paying attention to, in that light business remains unprofitable yet maintains near record revenues. Seems like a far cry from going bust. Heck, business being unprofitable is a sign of ample dedication these days, especially in highly competitive industries and with stock market representation. Then there’s 5bn cash on hand as reported as of June 2019 quarter, enough to pay for debt and then some. Grant you, there might be localized difficulties, as you point out, and yet Tesla is one of the more attractive looking businesses compared to thousands of others on display.

Current quarter financial results will be published in 17 days though. Surely, we’ll see if there’s change in the dynamic.

Ok you can read reports and imagine a circumstance favorable to not liking that an industrialist is a hero in creating electric cars. Meanwhile I’ll go and see two model 3s at the same intersection.

Lmfao inno in 10 years you’ll still be warning us of the imminent collapse of the 10 years bigger Tesla.

Tesla redirected production towards Europe because of strong demand there. They chose to sell the cars where there are the highest profits (where people are willing to pay for fully loaded cars). Unlike what was claimed their wait list in the US has actually grown 80% but despite production more than doubling and on its way to tripling by the end of the year they can’t keep up with demand. So deliveries went down in the US, true, but their wait list grew considerably. They are also they only car company on China which has pre-sold the first two years of production before the first car has been been built in China.

Far from collapsing as some would say they have already pre-sold most of their 2020 world wide production! :lol:

Top Bottom