The future of Tesla

Except topping off whilst you are working or sleeping is literally impossible. It just can not happen. I live in an apparent building and I work in an office tower. On good days, my vehicle is parked within the same city block. And I take public transit to work because driving and parking at my place of work is just not practical. There ain't no extension cord that long in the market.

That is the point of what I am saying. Electrric charging is incredibly practical if you have a house and garrage to park your car over night and leave it plugged in like you would your mobile phone. They are incredibly impractical if you don't.

Not really no. Bottom line is that combustion engines which convert chemical to mechanical energy directly are always going to be more efficient than using a power plant to convert it to mechanical energy which than gets converted to electrical energy which than gets transferred over power lines to be than converted back into mechanical energy. Not only is your basic energy source the same but you get losses with transit and conversion.

That depends heavily on your region, environmental factors and local laws and priorities.

Yes, in a world of infinite free clean energy electric cars would be great. But the only way that's going to happen is if everyone gets back on the atomic train. And we can both agree that this is sadly unlikely.

You don’t seem to know what you are talking about. The fastest chargers these days can get 150 miles in just eight minutes of charging. Walk into Starbucks, order your coffee, and walk out with it in hand knowing you have 150 miles in the battery. If you plan ahead you won’t ever even have to do this on regular days. Many batteries now have 500 mile ranges; how often will regular people drive more than 500 miles on average?

Making cities more friendly to bicycles, pedestrians & scooters and more hostile to cars is a good step.

As someone who has seen how Portland completely botched converting street lanes for cars into bike lanes thus making traffic far, far worse, while bike lanes sit unused, and everyone’s mobility has gone down... Well, I disagree with your evaluation.

Last edited:
You don’t seem to know what you are talking about. The fastest chargers these days can get 150 miles in just eight minutes of charging. Walk into Starbucks, order your coffee, and walk out with it in hand knowing you have 150 miles in the battery. If you plan ahead you won’t ever even have to do this on regular days. Many batteries now have 500 mile ranges; how often will regular people drive more than 500 miles on average?
This is misleading. Most chargers are not 400+ volt systems and likely most will not ever be capable of level 3 charging or beyond. Level 3 chargers right now play a small role in the overall EV infrastructure being built out which mostly consists of home and work chargers of level 1 or 2 capability. People who think you really need a level 3 charger for normal use are mistaken and it helps feed anti-EV sentiment given how expensive those are to build out and operate.

No one is building a 500 mile EV battery that I know about either. Tesla is reported to hit 400 with the Model Y.

Suburban driving is also really good for EV's because you're more likely to have a home with a garage outlet and you likely won't live more than 15 miles from work anyways. Really the only situation where it doesn't work is if you have a more than 50 mile daily commute and no home or work charger.

Musk got a baby on 4th may. Is it a PR move? Will Musk being a father hinder him from running Tesla at 110% capacity?

He’s already a father.

Can such behavior coming from CEO of 45 billion dollar company be acceptable in this day and age?

Don't the shareholders and other board members decide if it's acceptable to them or not?

I don't have very high standards for CEOs myself, as long as they're not breaking any laws. Moderator Action: Objectionable reference removed. --LM

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't the shareholders and other board members decide if it's acceptable to them or not?

I don't have very high standards for CEOs myself, as long as they're not breaking any laws. Moderator Action: Objectionable reference removed. --LM
He has demonstrated almost total control over the Tesla board. They will not remove him even if he does break laws. I mean he already has and has been sanctioned by the FTC for it and that wasn't enough to move them at all.

He has demonstrated almost total control over the Tesla board. They will not remove him even if he does break laws. I mean he already has and has been sanctioned by the FTC for it and that wasn't enough to move them at all.

Seems like an internal problem that's none of my business though. If the board approves of his actions, then isn't that their prerogative? It's a private company and they can do whatever internal things they want. Right? If laws are broken then the authorities need to be involved of course, but in this case it seems that this also happened.

Defiantly ignoring public health authorities and forcing employees back to work is not just an internal problem, it's a community health and labor rights problem. We should not tacitly accept that every corporation is a private fiefdom entitled to do whatever it wants including stock manipulation and perpetuating a public health crisis just because they have the best lawyers and a cool brand on reddit.

Defiantly ignoring public health authorities and forcing employees back to work is not just an internal problem, it's a community health and labor rights problem. We should not tacitly accept that every corporation is a private fiefdom entitled to do whatever it wants including stock manipulation and perpetuating a public health crisis just because they have the best lawyers and a cool brand on reddit.

If they are breaking laws then they should be prosecuted within the full extent of the law. It sounds like that state and possibly your whole country just doesn't have solid enough employee protections and doesn't regulate such companies well enough. That's the real problem here, if they are getting away with blatantly breaking the law.

I'm not saying that corporations should be able to do what they want, but their own internal matters are their own problem. If they were a public company I would agree with you that it is our business, but they are private so it isn't.

If there aren't enough regulations in place to control companies like this, then that is a problem. But it's a problem with your political landscape and lack of such legislation. It is none of our business how a private company's board wants to run the business. If they accept their CEO being a weirdo who breaks the law, then that's their problem.

Tesla is a public company, not private.

And being a private company does not grant them a fiefdom to do what they want. Yes, the root problem is that the US has become much too lax in dealing with corporate malfeasance but it's very odd to me that this should be taken as an excuse for that malfeasance. Hyperbolic example - just because rape is historically un-policed does not excuse the rapists. This is such a weird hot take imo.

Tesla is a public company, not private.

And being a private company does not grant them a fiefdom to do what they want. Yes, the root problem is that the US has become much too lax in dealing with corporate malfeasance but it's very odd to me that this should be taken as an excuse for that malfeasance. Hyperbolic example - just because rape is historically un-policed does not excuse the rapists. This is such a weird hot take imo.

It's a publically traded company (right?) but I was drawing the distinction between a private company like for example Microsoft.. and a public institution like a university or government body.

What private entities do in their boardrooms is none of our business. What is our business is voting in politicians that enact good employee protections and the needed regulations for large corporations. If that hasn't been done then you can't blame the corporations for pushing their luck. Of course they'll do that..

When you were 8 years old.. and your mom never had a "no candy after 10pm" rule.. Could we get upset at you for eating candy at midnight? Maybe, but what goes on in your private household is none of our business. Now if you stole that candy from your neighbour, then that's a legal matter.. and something society at large should care about to a degree.

I can't believe you pulled rape into this. That sort of move seems beneath you. But fine, I'll bite. Rape is illegal. A person raping another person *is* our business. In the same way a corporation's CEO breaking the law *is* our business. But how the board reacts to these events isn't. It's none of my business how the rapist's mother reacts to the rape. She still loves her son and claims he's a saint? Yeah okay, I wouldn't do that and I don't agree with that, but that's her own prerogative as a private individual.

Boards are not allowed to conspire to commit crimes and fraud by dent of being a corporate entity.

Yes, that's why I keep saying that the only business we have in this.. is when the board or the CEO do something illegal. That's where the regulations and laws kick in. If they exist and have teeth behind them - great. If not, that's a problem.

If they're not doing anything illegal then it's none of our business.

Don't put me on a pedestal to give yourself a better vantage to smack me from.

IMO it's not cool to bring in rape into a discussion like this.. those affected by this crime don't deserve to have to read something like this. It seems below any of us to do something like this, just saying

If the rapist's mother decides to help cover up the crime or help perpetuate more rape then it is absolutely the public's business.

Agreed. That is a crime in itself, so it becomes our business.

If it's legal for the Tesla board to keep their CEO where he is, then it isn't any of our business. If it isn't legal, then sure. That's all I'm saying. They're a private entity and as long as they're not breaking any laws then it's none of our business. If we want it to be then we have to vote for politicians that will change up the regulations and make them stricter and so on.

But yes, as long as laws are broken, then I agree. The initial situation was one where the board kept him on even though he's a moron. I don't know enough about corporate law to know if them keeping him on even though he broke the law is legal. But it appears to be. If the board did something illegal while making that judgement, then I agree with you

Corporations are going to play with whatever rules we throw at them. 99% of the time they are just going to try to play the system while trying to make as much money as possible. If the rules in place aren't good enough then of course they are going to try to exploit them. A board usually answers to their investors, and the investors mainly care about profits.

If you have a wolf in your backard and he eats one of your cats, don't get mad at the wolf. Figure out a better way to store your cats or ask yourself why you have a wolf in the backyard to begin with.

We basically agree @warpus, you are misunderstanding the points I was making. And I apologize for offending you with a hyperbolic argument, but I don't appreciate you continuing to use that as a pretext to personally attack me for it. Continuing to say it's beneath me is a polite way to say I am moraly defective, yet you continue to engage with the argument while continuing to point out it's beneath me.

If you're going to high road then do that but stop acting like you're above it if you don't.

I don't think I was doing any of that.. Maybe this pandemic is making it harder to communicate

I'm not a Musk fanboy or the opposite, that seems to be what people are doing these days - either loving him or hating him. I'm in neither of those camps. I can see how it's easy to misread my comments assuming that I have a Musk poster over my bed or something

I was not referring to you defending Tesla as a personal attack, I was referring to the continual use of 'that is beneath you' as one.

Top Bottom