The inhumane conditions of Bradley Manning's detention

Yeah, but I doubt "all the kids" put lives in danger.
Meh. The RIAA has decided that the total lost revenue through piracy is more then all the money in the world and that your illegaly downloaded copy of Bad Romance is the most valuable object in the world on a monetary basis.

Meh. The RIAA has decided that the total lost revenue through piracy is more then all the money in the world and that your illegaly downloaded copy of Bad Romance is the most valuable object in the world on a monetary basis.
You put money above life? :huh:

Insurance places a value on your life. Why is it my fault to point out it is lower that the value the RIAA assigns to one copy of Bad Romance?

Insurance places a value on your life. Why is it my fault to point out it is lower that the value the RIAA assigns to one copy of Bad Romance?
Well, it's insurance companies jobs to place money on your head. But to compare money from the piracy of books to human lives? I don't support that. Lives are of much more value than money.

Manning didn't say he was gonna kill himself, he said "if" he was gonna do it he could use the elastic band in his pants. That was obviously a sarcastic response to being treated like he was gonna kill himself. Its like somebody at the airport responding to a hand up their a$$ by commenting about all the better places to hide a bomb.

Well, it's insurance companies jobs to place money on your head. But to compare money from the piracy of books to human lives? I don't support that. Lives are of much more value than money.
So you don't support the free-market actions of insurance companies? It is hardly my fault you haven't gone Galt and increased your net worth.
What are you, a Bolshevik or a Maoist Counter-revolutionary?

Tell that to your insurance company or the RIAA. The free market has decided and you are worth less than a pirated copy of Bad Romance. Are you really that shocked about it?

Manning didn't say he was gonna kill himself, he said "if" he was gonna do it he could use the elastic band in his pants. That was obviously a sarcastic response to being treated like he was gonna kill himself. Its like somebody at the airport responding to a hand up their a$$ by commenting about all the better places to hide a bomb.
He said he could. The military, as they are supposed to, took it seriously.

So you don't support the free-market actions of insurance companies? It is hardly my fault you haven't gone Galt and increased your net worth.
What are you, a Bolshevik or a Maoist Counter-revolutionary?
Insurance companies can do so, but when you aren't dealing with insurance, you shouldn't value money over life.

Insurance companies can do so, but when you aren't dealing with insurance, you shouldn't value money over life.
So we should spend whatever government revenue is necessary to keep everyone healthy and alive for as long as medically possible?

So we should spend whatever government revenue is necessary to keep everyone healthy and alive for as long as medically possible?
All you have to do is not let informants names get out. Manning let them out. Manning gets in trouble.

they took his sarcastic comment about how they were already treating him to "justify" more mistreatment.
I'm not even going to bother responding to this line of posts. It has already been explained. But haters are gonna hate.

All you have to do is not let informants names get out. Manning let them out. Manning gets in trouble.
Once the names get out, you need to spend whatever money is necesary to protect them. Otherwise you are putting money over lives.

How about government healthcare? Should we spend unlimited money to keep people healthy and alive as long as possible? Or should we put money over lives?

what hate? You and Mobby are taking what the guy said and twisting it into a threat of suicide.

The people in charge of Mannings custody had no choice but to take such comments seriously. As such, it was indeed a threat of suicide, albeit sarcasticly made.

And as I have pointed out, if it were not treated seriously, and Manning did kill himself, we would never heard the end of the conspiracy theorys that would arise that we secretly had him killed.

When it comes to the military, people need to realize that there really is no place for sarcasm, judgment, or common sense.

When it comes to the military, people need to realize that there really is no place for sarcasm, judgment, or common sense.

Not just the military. I work in a hospital and it is so politically correct that I dare not comment on a co-worker's appearance, competence or vacation plans. It's like that all over. But MB is right - if authorities did laugh it off and then something did happen, this would turn into a media firestorm.

Not just the military. I work in a hospital and it is so politically correct that I dare not comment on a co-worker's appearance, competence or vacation plans. It's like that all over. But MB is right - if authorities did laugh it off and then something did happen, this would turn into a media firestorm.
Only he wasn't put on a real "suicide watch". It was merely an excuse to intentionally abuse Manning in a completely absurd manner so he would hopefully implicate Assange.

Point is, heads would roll. Careers ended. Nutcase commentary.
Ironically, very few careers have actually ended due to the torture and murder of hundreds of people under quite similar conditions, never mind criminal charges. Very few have even ended from all the Wikileaks information divulged so far, although they certainly should have.

The military Kangaroo Court system is intentionally set up as it is to protect the higher-ups by assuring the supposed integrity of the military while virtually guaranteeing that people low on the totem pole can be made into convenient scapegoats whenever needed.

If there actually was such a thing as military justice, the people who were responsible for setting up the systems where this information was "leaked" in such a simplistic manner would be held accountable for being so incredibly incompetent to even allow it to occur. The people who committed these acts which are depicted in these releases would have faced justice long ago since the evidence obviously existed and was known by many.

Instead, the military is apparently only concerned with overly punishing the person who supposedly showed the world how bad things really are. And they can't even seem to do that without depriving Manning of all human dignity and basic rights in such a barbaric and inhumane manner. Yet nothing will likely be done to the commander and the warrant officer who conspired to intentionally deprive him of those rights, as usual.

Form, if a criminal act is performed by a soldier exactly how far up the chain of command should people be tried, convicted and thrown in jail for it? I'd like to hear your opinion in regards to it.

depriving Manning of all human dignity and basic rights in such a barbaric and inhumane manner.

Come on, lets be realistic here. This is a huge overstatement of how he was being treated. He was in solitary control under a local suicide watch and it hasnt been proven that he was being treated any differently than any other soldier under those conditions at that facility would be.

He got an hour of activity outisde his cell a day.

He got to watch a tv that was placed outide his cell so he could view it.

He was made to either sleep nude, or wear a tear-proof sleep smock because of his comments about killing himself.

He was in there as long as he was due to the fact that his own defense team requested delays in his hearings.

Thats it.

That hardly deserves to be called being stripped of all human dignity, barbarism, or inhumane treatment. No, its not a day at the beach either, but its hardly the 5th circle of hell you seem to think it was for him.

Top Bottom