The Kiwi Concept?

This trend of devaluing expert opinion just because you're predisposed to not believing the poster who made them is tiresome.
Don't take it personally. It's more like 44 years in one place vs. "I spent 5 seconds on google to prove you wrong"

If Zar had some weird agenda that'd be one thing but he seems to genuinely want people to understand his country, seems self-aware about it's good & bad points.

Don't take it personally. It's more like 44 years in one place vs. "I spent 5 seconds on google to prove you wrong"

If Zar had some weird agenda that'd be one thing but he seems to genuinely want people to understand his country, seems self-aware about it's good & bad points.

Yup. The events referenced in said book are also several generations ago.

It ended when the oldest boomers were teenagers the worst parts are from the generations before them.

Also ended without a civil rights movement or government having to send in the troops.

Assuming the book isn't being hyperbolic it's essentially the worst parts of NZ mimicked som aspects of business as usual in USA,faded out earlier than USA.

30-odd years in the UK hasn't made me a legal expert on the UK. A barrister is still going to slap me around.

30-odd years living on this Earth doesn't let me claim the sky is pink and water is actually made of lava.

It's not about taking things personally, it's about the dumbassery of thinking you know more than any amount of established, credentialled citations anyone could provide. You can call it five seconds on Google if you want. Just like I can call your position trusting the opinion of a random dude on the Internet.

It'd be different if we were all treated like experts on the things we've spent a lot of time with. But that ain't true, is it? Trans folk aren't trusted on trans topics (and are even accused of being too close to the subject). I'm not treated as an authority of software development. The Russian posters in that thread aren't treated as authorities on what's going on over there ;) Which means there's another reason some of you are rushing to agree that a colonised island has no history of segregation at all - all because one dude in NZ said so.

EDIT

Just to make it painstakingly clear, I'm not saying the expert is automatically right. I'm saying it's worthy of debate. You know, the point of threads? Instead of coming here just to rag on Cloud or me.

Last edited:
Bro he didn't say that and I'm not agreeing w it. Get a grip.
He said NZ had no segregation. Go back and try reading what was actually posted, maybe, instead of jumping into a thread to tell people they don't know something because they don't live there lol.

Moderator Action: This thread is getting entirely too heated. Remember that you're ostensibly here to discuss things, rather than tear strips out of each other.

He said NZ had no segregation. Go back and try reading what was actually posted, maybe, instead of jumping into a thread to tell people they don't know something because they don't live there lol.

Not US style segregation.

I haven't read the book neither have you and idk the ideological position of the author. Using US style terms and words like holocaust doesn't tend to go down to well here though.

N word for example I haven't seen it being used to refer to Maori as a kid it was in a nursery rhyme.

I was trying to calculate for the terminal velocity of a donut because my immediate concern was a 25g piece of stale bread hitting me from 3km in the air, but I ran into trouble trying to account for the fact that it has a hole in it. As for economic effects, it would be contingent on whether or not the rain was something continual or if it's a one-off, as well as volume. Also, are they just plain cake donuts or is it a variety? I want a chocolate one with jimmies. Again, however, depends on the velocity/volume of d, d for donut.

Good artists copy, great artists steal. - Picasso
Have you ever had donuts with maple glaze? WOW.

Strawberry cream personally. Not that I let myself have cream much anymore.

Not US style segregation.
I know. You said that already, and I replied to it already :)

As for the book, I've again said a bunch of times there were other sources. How many do I need to post for you to admit it's arguable?

If I have a donut for breakfast, it’s just a soft sugar-dusted one. Nothing fancy, just an addition to my coffee so I can take my prescription.
Old-school. I also enjoy plaincake from time to time; no sugar dusting at all. I like them vegan, though.

Strawberry cream personally. Not that I let myself have cream much anymore.
Is that a glaze or a filling?

I don't know about NZ history and NZ segregation specifically but the 1981 Springbok Tour is very relevant on this topic in relation to South Africa. Although Māori have participated in the All Blacks for over a century, tours to apartheid South Africa consciously discriminated and excluded them from playing — even when they were some of the best players of their time, like George Nepia. At one point the NZ Prime Minister cancelled a planned AB tour to SA because of race issues, and I think the SA gov't offered to call the Māori players 'honourary whites' for the next tour. In another AB tour of SA in the 1970s, two dozen African countries boycotted the Montreal Olympics on account of NZ's implicit support of racism and apartheid. This is not even getting into the 1981 tour itself. Keep in mind nationwide riots in NZ happened on the race issue with sports and politics in that time. 48% of NZers were against the tour, 42% were for the tour.

Earlier during the colonization and NZ wars era, there were plans for Māori reservations and electorates after the 1840 Constitution Act. But the reserved land was taken by European settlers and the electorates dropped. The electorates exist today, though.

In general the history education I got in an NZ high school very recently (where all this comes from) highly suggested that the NZ gov't, or at least NZ culture, had whitewashed the idea of Māori-NZer multicultural culture that the Māori began believing in it, and only now have things changed.

I don't know about NZ history and NZ segregation specifically but the 1981 Springbok Tour is very relevant on this topic in relation to South Africa. Although Māori have participated in the All Blacks for over a century, tours to apartheid South Africa consciously discriminated and excluded them from playing — even when they were some of the best players of their time, like George Nepia. At one point the NZ Prime Minister cancelled a planned AB tour to SA because of race issues, and I think the SA gov't offered to call the Māori players 'honourary whites' for the next tour. In another AB tour of SA in the 1970s, two dozen African countries boycotted the Montreal Olympics on account of NZ's implicit support of racism and apartheid. This is not even getting into the 1981 tour itself. Keep in mind nationwide riots in NZ happened on the race issue with sports and politics in that time. 48% of NZers were against the tour, 42% were for the tour.

Earlier during the colonization and NZ wars era, there were plans for Māori reservations and electorates after the 1840 Constitution Act. But the reserved land was taken by European settlers and the electorates dropped. The electorates exist today, though.

In general the history education I got in an NZ high school very recently (where all this comes from) highly suggested that the NZ gov't, or at least NZ culture, had whitewashed the idea of Māori-NZer multicultural culture that the Māori began believing in it, and only now have things changed.

Muldoon government that's the one people tend to hate.

Springbol tour divided the nation most of the urban centers opposed it, the rural reas majority supported it. (Keep politics out of sport).

Much like anywhere NZ has that rural/urban divide. Quick look at electoral map will quickly show you that and what areas in the urban eectorates are the richer parts.

A few things mentioned in that book are racist not segregation.

Segregation doesn't only mean physical. It can also be social.

30-odd years living on this Earth doesn't let me claim the sky is pink

You've never had sunrises or sunsets that include pink? :(

What a shame - they're beautiful.

Using US style terms and words like holocaust doesn't tend to go down to well here though.

Here, the word "Holocaust" (it's usually capitalized) refers to what the Nazis did, pre-and during WWII. Holocaust denial here is considered a form of hate speech, and can carry legal consequences if done in public.

Have you ever had donuts with maple glaze? WOW.

Yes. They're wonderful. Maple glaze is one of my favorites, but honey glaze is my other favorite.

And now I expect to get a message from @The_J, telling me that a new donut glaze thread has come of all this. :p

Yes. They're wonderful. Maple glaze is one of my favorites, but honey glaze is my other favorite.

And now I expect to get a message from @The_J, telling me that a new donut glaze thread has come of all this. :p
Do you have an example of a honey glaze donut you can share? I've never seen one before! It sounds delicious.

Do you have an example of a honey glaze donut you can share? I've never seen one before! It sounds delicious.

Well, this is a honey glaze cruller, rather than a classic donut-shape, from Tim Hortons. I also prefer the honey-glazed Timbits (donut holes).

honey-cruller-tim-hortons.jpg

Top Bottom