The Macedonian Naming Dispute

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just tell me one thing, do you really believe that Macedonia could somehow invade Greece and seize these territories? Really?

Really?!

They wouldnt attack, they would bring thois to the UN or some other organasation like this.

Also this map of macedonia is false. The real macedonia is only the greek part.

I don't get it. That is, what's the big deal over one country using whatever name they feel like using? What difference does it actually make if Macedonia is called Macedonia or not? Are they claiming Greek land by doing so or something, or just applying a different geographical definition to the word?

Names just have a lot of symbolism, I guess. This is not a unique situation; Jinnah was furious when Nehru named his new country India. And then of course there's the whole "China" issue.

Area of historical Macedonia according to Wiki:
Well, it's the map of geographical Macedonia, not historical one.
I'd love to, but the link doesn't work.
Fixed.

They wouldnt attack, they would bring thois to the UN or some other organasation like this.

Also this map of macedonia is false. The real macedonia is only the greek part.

That argument makes no sense. It would be like an Englishman claiming that the real Ireland is only the six counties of Ulster. The borders of ancient Macedonia are known, they don't just happen to fall along the same border as modern Greece.

I don't get it. That is, what's the big deal over one country using whatever name they feel like using? What difference does it actually make if Macedonia is called Macedonia or not? Are they claiming Greek land by doing so or something, or just applying a different geographical definition to the word?

Macedonia is part of greece and there they live almost 2,5 million greeks. Now one day some slavs decide to say that macedonia is fyromian and not greek, that the 2,5 million greeks there have nothing to do with macedonia and alexander the great is slav. would a greek ever accept that.

If Macedonia were forced to change their name I'd start calling them "The Republic Formerly Known as Macedonia".

If Macedonia were forced to change their name I'd start calling them "The Republic Formerly Known as Macedonia".

They arent macedonians. They are some slav who think they are macedonians. Real macedonians are greek.

Or just replace it with a wierd symbol and become known as "The country that was formerly known as the former yugoslav republic of macedonia". Should make for some interesting letterhead.

Do you realy beleive this slavs are macedonians???

Do you realy beleive this slavs are macedonians???
Given the amount of intermarrying, population transfers, and living in the same area for several hundred years, I would say that trying to figure out if someone is 'ethnicaly Macedonian' is an excercise is futility.

Also, why should anyone care?
Because I'm bored and I want to kill an hour before class starts?

1) They fyromians have nothing to do with macedonia.

2) Macedonia is greek.

I think the state of Georgia should change its name. It is clearly nowhere near the Republic of Georgia. Someone from Atlanta is clearly not Georgian, and have nothing to do with Georgia.

They do this to distract from the fact that most modern Greeks don't descend from classical Greeks either.

In my opinion the inhabitants of the country currently known as Macedonia can call themselves whatever they want to. This doesn't change that they're not related to the historical Macedonians who once lived in that area, nor does it give them any entitlement to Greek territory.

2) Macedonia is greek.
Oh, and classical Greeks would disagree with you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom