1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

The Macedonian Naming Dispute

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Jehoshua, Sep 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jehoshua

Jehoshua Catholic

After an amusing discussion with one hellene self denied nationalist about the macedonian naming dispute I have decided to post a thread here about the topic.

What are peoples opinions, if any on the naming dispute between the Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia (FYROM) also known as the Fyromia of the dreaded fyromians by certain hellenes, and the afformentioned Republic of Hellas more commonly known as greece.

Let us begin with pieces of propoganda for both sides

-

That of the hellenes

http://history-of-macedonia.com/wor...based-their-propaganda-in-a-misunderstanding/

And that of the American Chronicle (clearly a proxy of FYROM :rolleyes: )

http://www.americanchronicle.com/articles/view/115377

Moderator Action: First line is trolling.
    Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

2. Ajidica

Ajidica High Quality Person

Just lump the entire Balkans into one big country called "Land of Crazy Nationalists". It can't be any worse then the current situation.

3. christos200

christos200 Never tell me the odds

Macedonia will always be greek, no matter what the fyromians propaganda says.

4. Tee Kay

Tee Kay Silly furry

Maybe we should start referring to Greece as the Former Ottoman Republic of Greece. :mischief:

5. Jehoshua

Jehoshua Catholic

Well its not the "Land of crazy nationalists". Its the land of balkanisation ;) , they named the whole phenomena of nation dividing nationalism and its resulting manifestation after the region :lol:

6. Ajidica

Ajidica High Quality Person

I retract my earlier name and completely endorse this one!

7. Winner

Winner Diverse in Unity

It's petty and absurd. Greece should have other things on its "mind" than fuelling a useless dispute with a small neighbouring country over its name. It's not like Macedonia wants to name itself "Republic of the True Greece" or something like that.

Also, even considering blocking Macedonia's EU accession talks over something so trivial just makes Greece look a bit... insecure.

Ottoman and Republic? Nah. What were the administrative sub-units called in the OE?

EDIT, answer: eyalet.

8. Jehoshua

Jehoshua Catholic

And its people as the Forgians :rolleyes:

9. ShadowNX

ShadowNX Prince

As is stated before this can only cause tensions between people. Stop introducing yourself to each other with your linage. Just use Greek.

This causes tensions and breeds disrespect between people. It also causes further divides between people by labeling them. By living in the past one can not grow.

10. christos200

1) Fyrom has nothing to to do with macedonia so they have no right to use this name.

2)

The speech of Alexander I, when he was admitted to the Olympic games

3) Tito, Yougoslavia communist dicator, wanted the agean see so he renamed, the land know as vardar, macedonia, so he can take the macedonia that greece had freed from the ottomans during the balkan wars.

11. SerriaFox

SerriaFox King

Greece should be kicked out of the Euro and the EU for credit reasons. Then let the one with a balanced budget back in. :)

12. madviking

madviking north american scum

Can we just have it changed to Makedonia?

13. filli_noctus

filli_noctus Hmmn

As the original discussion centred on the classical Kingdom of Macedonia and whether or not it was Greek I would like to introduce this quote from Herodotus.
    This quote shows Herodotus accepted that Macedonia was Greek but equally demonstrates that others did not as Alexander had to demonstrate he could trace is lineage back to the city of Argos (which is accepted to be Greek) before being allowed to compete at the Olympic Games.

14. Camikaze

Camikaze Administrator Administrator

I don't get it. That is, what's the big deal over one country using whatever name they feel like using? What difference does it actually make if Macedonia is called Macedonia or not? Are they claiming Greek land by doing so or something, or just applying a different geographical definition to the word?

15. Tee Kay

Tee Kay Silly furry

Former Ottoman Eyalets of Southern Rumelia and Morea :mischief:

16. christos200

That is fyromian propaganda.

17. Winner

Winner Diverse in Unity

In their language its Republika Makedonija.

---

Area of historical Macedonia according to Wiki:

Just tell me one thing, do you really believe that Macedonia could somehow invade Greece and seize these territories? Really?

Really?!

18. Mise

Mise isle of lucy

If anyone wants to rename their country Albion or Kent or something I'd be down with that. Most of the English-speaking world is named after something in the UK, and frankly that's awesome. Greece is just being petty and infantile.

19. Lone Wolf

Lone Wolf Deity

Every nation has the right to call itself whatever they want, so "Macedonia" is fine by me and Greece just sounds petty. Macedonian nationalism is more fun then Greek one, though, since Greeks don't have completely ridiculous claims like "Slavic Alexander the Great" and "Byzantium as a Macedonian Empire".
    My favourite piece of Macedonian propaganda is this series by some guy called Risto Stefov. It's a fun, enjoyable read.

20. Winner

Winner Diverse in Unity

Some Greeks apparently believe that Macedonia is about to claim half of Greece and take it from them if they allow it to use the name :crazyeye:

It's about as justified as if Mexicans demanded that USA drops the "of America" part of its name because it could be interpreted as claiming sovereignty over all of Americas.

I'd love to, but the link doesn't work.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.