1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

The New Team

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Star Wars Mod' started by NikNaks, Jun 6, 2007.

1. moopoo

moopoo King

I'm interested! pick me!

2. starwars22097

starwars22097 Norbert Pickle VonPiddler

could I help

3. Popcornlord

Popcornlord Steampunk Mechanic

I'm not sure if anyone's doing this anymore. I've been trying to get a response for a while (even though I think I posted in the wrong place). look at the last time anyone posted anything (besides me). In the other thread no one posted since Moopoo two months ago. If you wanted to, you (with my help!) could start a new one. Long live the Star Wars Mod!

4. moopoo

moopoo King

If you haven't already popcorn, pm niknak about it. I asked him(/her) about it and (s)he expressed some discouragement at a lack of new offers of interest. so hurry!

5. moopoo

moopoo King

Could i make a request to someone/anyone that, in the interest of at least starting a Star wars mod, all the dead or dying or should-be-dead-but-someone-new-restarted-it threads be deleted, so that there is one central place for any and all expressions of interest and discussion? I get the impression that there is more than enough interest to get a star wars mod done (i mean, after all, it is star wars :D), but the resources and info pertaining to it is so diluted and spread out, it's current status (in terms of whose working on it, who wants to work on it, etc.) is impossible to ascertain.

6. johny smith

johny smith Deity

Well personally I am in favor of starting a new area for new Star Wars stuff, but I must add something of importance. That is the SVN. We have a database to start building on. I put something up just to get started on something, but I am busy with other mods at the moment. I can always help a little though if someone steps up and wants to work on it.

The things that still need to be worked out in my opinion are.

The first thing is the map. What should be used? I started with the Final Frontier mod. I would like to see it modified to work, but if someone has a better solution great.

The second what will be the setup? Is this a scenario from the movies? I would say not to stay with all of the factions from the movies, but instead go with Star Wars history starting around the time of discovering hyperspace. So it is more like civ in space.

There is plenty of info on Wookiepedia for techs in that case. I would just have is the civs as planetary systems. Not the factions from the movies, but the possible of making factions later in the game. And adding scenarios like from the movies later.

But either way unless someone shows interest that can modify the SDK for some major changes it is stuck in my opinion. So I am all for starting up new, but I have not seen anyone really getting anything done recently.

7. moopoo

moopoo King

I was thinking about the map thing, and in the interests of getting something that works, can be tested, and improved, we should stick to either a FF mod or a conventional mod to begin with. As in, if we start with conventional (which i think we should), it means not worrying about how to emulate space or about making the death star as a unit or anything like that. Instead we would focus on how to create the conflict between jedi and sith, what wonders are in, and what they should do, etc. Once it's up to an acceptable level, we can begin looking at the galaxy side of it.

What i'm suggesting here is a development of the mod in stages, in much the same way that FFH goes about it (Whose team are really the apex atm of developing BIG mods).

Make sense? :)

8. johny smith

johny smith Deity

It is not bad ideas. I am just do not see how we can simulate planets(I mean plural) on a conventional map. If we stick with the conventional map just adding small pieces of land for planets to me limits it from really being a civ like version to more a battle scenario.

Not saying that is the worst idea. Just you will have to armies basically lining up and fighting is all I see is possible on a conventional map. I mean you would have to have a city represent an entire system that way just like you would in FF, but you really are going to have to imagine a piece of land is a planet I think in my mind that way.

I mean you would still have to transport the units from place to place to have a battle with the conventional map or either just fight on one planet. So if you have to transport them to fight on a small piece of land that is why I say why not just use FF and transports units to the system and invade it. I don't see how it would not end up being the same thing in the end when trying to represent the galaxy.

I am not so much thinking of having the death star as just thinking if you are only going to fight on a small piece of land with the normal map and have endless seas of space why not just fight land battles in the city using the FF map.

And as for FFH I would think the whole hero system would be a better way of bringing in characters into Star Wars. But I am not the one deciding. I guess I am more for civ in space Star Wars style than replicating the movies. There are a lot more things in the Star Wars expanded universe that could be used that are not in the movies I mean. Like factions within the Sith and Jedi and other third parties of force users. Well anyway I usually think too big of ideas.

9. moopoo

moopoo King

I don't think i explained myself very well. What I meant is to attack SW in increments, The first one being a conventional map: A planet, with cities, in which several civs (or in SW species/star systems, i guess) vy for domination of the planet.

Then maybe move onto a map that maybe introduces Space as a terrain. My idea is this would look like a continents map, where each continent represents a planet, surrounded by space. This could introduce Interplanetary ships, and decisions could be made on they can be emulated.

I have an (very viable and not-as-hard-as-it-first-sounds, in my opinion) idea on what the final big, cover the galaxy map should look like, but i'll save it for later (it's the idea i've posted before, if you can find it :))

10. johny smith

johny smith Deity

Well nothing wrong having a plan and doing something on it. It is not like much as happen here really. If you can get started on something I would still be interested in helping. So just want to make it clear nothing wrong with suggestions. I mean like you stated before look what has happened so far. If you want to we have the SVN up and you can add to it. The FF map is just a script and be ran if someone wants it as map. I mean you can still make a normal map from the stuff in the SVN.

Of course the ultimate solution would be using more than one map, but don't see how to do it which is why I say major work. But if you want to make it simpler to begin with go ahead. If you want to sign up to the SVN pm Nik.

11. moopoo

moopoo King

what's SVN? and i've already pm'd Nik :)

12. johny smith

johny smith Deity

It is like a folder that keeps all of the file being worked on the internet. Anyone can download the material to their computer, but they need a user name and password to upload. If that makes any sense. There is the link for a free program below that handles it.

http://tortoisesvn.net/

13. Popcornlord

Ok, sorry I disappeared for a bit there. So are you re-remaking the mod. :p I'll gladly help if I can.

14. moopoo

moopoo King

pm niknak about it :)

15. NikNaks

NikNaks Deity

Wait, I think that makes 4 of us.

16. Popcornlord

OK, I'm lost. Why should I PM Niknak? And yes, that's 4 people, unless starwars22097
    reappears

17. Hadrean

Hadrean Hi, how are you?

I might still be able to help, with summer and lots of free time (hopefully) coming up.

18. moopoo

moopoo King

that's 5, yeah? any coders?

how exciting :D

19. NikNaks

NikNaks Deity

Cool, 5! Right, let's get some things cleared up. I think the first step should be getting onto a Jabber server. Johny, you're already there, but for everyone else, download Spark.

Once it's set-up, run it and click on the "Accounts" button. Create an account on the server kingshomeworld.com. Make sure you get that server name exactly right.

Once you've done that, simply type in your details on the first screen (same server name) and log-in. Once logged-in, you should hopefully see two tabs near the bottom. Click on "Conferences.

Right-click on chat.kingshomeworld.com and select "Browse Service". Scroll down to find the room named "Star Wars Mod" or "star_wars_mod" and click on it once. Then, click "Bookmark Room" near the top. Close this screen.

Now, double click on the bookmark you just made and you should be in the room.

20. Civmansam

Civmansam King

I'm glad people are picking this up again :)