The Obama Deception

Warman17

NES Grandpa
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eAaQNACwaLw&feature=channel

Two hour long conspiracy theory "documentary" about how Obama is a puppet of the international bankers/Bildeberg Group/shadow government. While I myself don't believe the conspiracy theories the film does raise several important points, namely the fact Obama has gone back on many of the things hes said he'd do including (many probably discussed before):

1) The appointment of members of his administration who were lobbyists after saying he wouldn't appoint lobbyists.
2) Voting for the renewal of the Patriot Act
3) Saying he'd filibuster the fisa immunity bill, then voting for it
3) Urging Congress to sign unread bills even though he campaigned for a 5 day period between a bill's proposal and voting for congress to read bills.
4) Changing the immediate withdrawal to a 16 month withdrawal to a speculative 16 month withdrawal to a speculative 23 month withdrawal
5) One of the campaign rhetoric was saying NAFTA was a mistake to win over industrial workers, but memos showed it was meaningless.
6) While Obama may be shutting down Gitmo, he has yet to remove the practice of rendition allowing us to transfer prisoners to secret prisons in another partner country.

A couple other points:
The terrorist no-fly list which has put many people in danger of being considered a false positive terrorist.

The incredible power of the Federal Reserve which, according to Greenspan, is above oversight of the government and thus above the law.

The talks over a "Bretton Woods II," supported by Gordon Brown, which calls for the empowering of the IMF to act more like a global central bank.

The insane amount of proposed carbon taxes which taxes basically everything, though I suspect many of these will never make it on to paper.

While I doubt hes the head of a shadow government, the immense influence of David Rockefeller, who is an avid globalist and elitist, and his creation of influential organizations which can be construed as shadowy cabals of global domination. What exactly goes on in there and why won't they let the press in?

Whatchu thinkin bout dis?

I'm thinking, yes definitely, it's all a conspiracy.

The incredible power of the Federal Reserve which, according to Greenspan, is above oversight of the government and thus above the law.
We already have politicized fiscal policy (which is, IMO, probably a good thing on balance); why should we politicize monetary policy as well? It has been shown that central banks tend to follow a relatively rational decision-making rule in practice, and when they deviate from that rule, unfortunate things happen. There is considerable pressure for the Fed to maintain a consistent interest rate policy. I'd like to see the Fed continue to move in the direction of building consistent rulesets and coherent policy responses, but overall it's not such a bad outcome.

The talks over a "Bretton Woods II," supported by Gordon Brown, which calls for the empowering of the IMF to act more like a global central bank.
I remain unconvinced that there is a "new Bretton Woods" going on, but that topic is one of considerable discussion in the recent IPE literature. And while the IMF does have some characteristics of a central bank, it is rather too small to assume the role of "global central bank".

The insane amount of proposed carbon taxes which taxes basically everything, though I suspect many of these will never make it on to paper.
Yet carbon taxes can be an economic good, considering that carbon emissions are usually considered a Bad Thing.

Man we still have 3+ years of these types of threads at least. I guess it only bothers me because I like Obama, so i probably never noticed how many Bush threads there were. They always seemed so much more warranted.

We already have politicized fiscal policy (which is, IMO, probably a good thing on balance); why should we politicize monetary policy as well? It has been shown that central banks tend to follow a relatively rational decision-making rule in practice, and when they deviate from that rule, unfortunate things happen. There is considerable pressure for the Fed to maintain a consistent interest rate policy. I'd like to see the Fed continue to move in the direction of building consistent rulesets and coherent policy responses, but overall it's not such a bad outcome.

I remain unconvinced that there is a "new Bretton Woods" going on, but that topic is one of considerable discussion in the recent IPE literature. And while the IMF does have some characteristics of a central bank, it is rather too small to assume the role of "global central bank".

Yet carbon taxes can be an economic good, considering that carbon emissions are usually considered a Bad Thing.

From my point of view, it's not about "politicizing" monetary policy, it's about accountability. Greenspan is a case in point. He made a point of obscuring what the Fed was doing and why from the Congress. Congress created the Fed and has both a right and a responsibility to oversee its actions. So when Congress tells the Fed chairman to show up and answer questions, said chairman should clearly and concisely do so, with nothing that would obscure understanding of the answer for people who are not economists. If not, then Congress should file contempt charges. Also, the Fed has it's own revenue source, but it is still a government agency so it is still using public money. And that means that it should be subject to audits by the Congress or the administration.

Being able to opperate independent of Congress or the administration should in no way make it unaccountable to the Congress and administration. While I am aware of the studies that show that the overall effect of an independent central bank are superior to a political one, Greenspan showed that the effect of too independent of a bank, one that served the interests of those it regulated over the public interest, can be just as much of a disaster as a political CB. Greenspan had as much to do with causing the current crisis as anyone else. Given the environment, maybe a fully informed Congress or administration might not have reigned him in, or maybe they would have.

:coffee: ten chars

I'm a historian. :)

The history of potatokiosk...

Does it matter?

Top Bottom