The "OMG! Look what happened in DoC!" Thread

Don't open your borders with Byzantium if you aren't in Theocracy.

While this is the correct solution from a gameplay perspective, doesn't this strike you as horrendously ahistorical? The Byzantine Empire earned a lot of its wealth due to Constantinople's strategic position as trading hub between Western Europe and the Near East, and I don't think this would have happened if the ruling powers of Europe had to worry about the Byzantines spreading Orthodoxy in their cities.

Ideally the Norse will have converted to Catholicism by the time a Byzantine missionary made its way to that part of Europe.

In the 3000 BC start at least, it's actually usually Byzantium who spreads Catholicism to the Norse, since the Great Schism doesn't happen for a while after their spawn.

Carthage STRONG

Attachments

• cartagestrong.JPG
    cartagestrong.JPG
    458.1 KB · Views: 357
So I was trying to ressurect a game with the Tamils I had (they settled most of Australia and took over Pagan but were expelled from India and from Sri Lanka) (the game would crash once I updated to v11) and I decided to explore my surroundings after asking Asoka for open borders. This is what I found. 100% legit, no WB or anything.

Fortunately I was running around with free victories so I defeated the riflemen and I conquered the city.

Holy crap...

Strangely normal experience.

But wait... It gets even worse!
Later on I lost the city (a few turns later), Asoka was generous enough to grant me a city on mainland India, but then this happened. Again, 100% legit.

However I ran out of free victories by then and I fled. The barabarian horse archers conquered the city.

This game is gonna get weird... Someone tell Leoreth to see this.

EDIT: Again, they revolted and joined me. Wow. They really love me in that city.

And you are ?

Maya. I entered WB when a Carthaginian caravel appeared off my coast in 1040AD. I'm not sure what happened. They went on to conquer marrakus and independent france and were the first to discover liberalism. They were always shaky and on the verge of collapse as well. If carthage somehow survives, do they get a huge research boost? edit: they were called the Punic Republic when they finally collapsed in the 16th century.

Maya. I entered WB when a Carthaginian caravel appeared off my coast in 1040AD. I'm not sure what happened. They went on to conquer marrakus and greece, and were the first to discover liberalism. They were always shaky and on the verge of collapse as well. If carthage somehow survives, do they get a huge research boost?

yes. it's called they are a classical or ancient civ. for some reason, if such a civ survives past their historical fall, they tend to have a good tech lead. do note that China and does not follow this guideline. China is generally not abnormal and is generally at it's level of tech china had at the time. China was ahead for a good period in many fields. it's just Europe was the one who really put Chinese inventions to use on a major scale. It also helps that between Rome, Carthage, Persia, Greece, Babylon, Eypgt, India, and Eithopia, only China is supposed to survive til the end of the game, even if a respawn is required.

Eypgt does come back...but is meant to then get blobbed into by the Turks. Rome is intended to blob like no tomorrow...then get smashed by barbs.

Carthage is...well, considering because of the romans the only name we have for it means ""new city", and we know that is not the real name, just all records are gone and have been destroyed, what you think is supposed to happen.

Persia? supposed to eat babylon and eypgt.

Greece? eat the resulting persian empire...only to get eaten by rome.

Eithopia? apparently every game the answer is get ass kicked by random roaming barbs.

India? Mughals end them.

Eastern Rome? arabs, seljuks, turkish, oh &*%^ this ^&*%. and then get backstabbed by europe likely. however, ERE does not get a tech lead often due to the mass of threats and close spawn date to the spawn date of PR civs.

Bayblon? persians eat them. simply put: most are not meant to survive. they are too well developed when they do to not have the tech lead is my guess.

Well that's good to know. It did make for a very interesting game. Carthage actually got the conquerors event for the Incas, though England got the event for the Aztec and myself. They had Egypt, Byzantiums (who had spawned as Empire of Nicea?), Portugal, and Ethiopia as vassals at one point.

Well that's good to know. It did make for a very interesting game. Carthage actually got the conquerors event for the Incas, though England got the event for the Aztec and myself. They had Egypt, Byzantiums (who had spawned as Empire of Nicea?), Portugal, and Ethiopia as vassals at one point.

If bizantium don't have Constantinopel they are named empire of nicea(With athens like capital..they have another names to but i never see..)

They just change they name in respawn because when bizantium lost constantinopel they collapse

1st) Caesar gives me Ethiopia the tech alphabet for free :)

2nd) Viva la free France :lol:
french capitol is Budapest with the cities of Brest, Vienna, Rome.
And Spain founded a city in the spanish Netherlands.

Attachments

• Gift.JPG
    Gift.JPG
    118.5 KB · Views: 253
  • europe.JPG
    europe.JPG
    260.5 KB · Views: 325
Top Bottom