1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

The "OMG! Look what happened in DoC!" Thread

Discussion in 'Rhye's and Fall - Dawn of Civilization' started by Leoreth, Oct 5, 2011.

1. Lennon789

Lennon789 Chieftain

While this is the correct solution from a gameplay perspective, doesn't this strike you as horrendously ahistorical? The Byzantine Empire earned a lot of its wealth due to Constantinople's strategic position as trading hub between Western Europe and the Near East, and I don't think this would have happened if the ruling powers of Europe had to worry about the Byzantines spreading Orthodoxy in their cities.

2. DC123456789

DC123456789 Chieftain

In the 3000 BC start at least, it's actually usually Byzantium who spreads Catholicism to the Norse, since the Great Schism doesn't happen for a while after their spawn.

3. Lennon789

Lennon789 Chieftain

Maybe the Byzantines should be discouraged from training missionaries until after the Great Schism.

4. apenpaap

apenpaap Tsar of all the Internets

Simon Bolivar decided to liberate Ireland.

5. Theodorick

Theodorick Chieftain

Carthage STRONG

Attached Files:

6. therox

therox Hydralisk

And you are ?

7. TheGryphonPrince

TheGryphonPrince Chieftain

So I was trying to ressurect a game with the Tamils I had (they settled most of Australia and took over Pagan but were expelled from India and from Sri Lanka) (the game would crash once I updated to v11) and I decided to explore my surroundings after asking Asoka for open borders. This is what I found. 100% legit, no WB or anything.

Fortunately I was running around with free victories so I defeated the riflemen and I conquered the city.

8. mrrandomplayer

mrrandomplayer Potentially back

Holy crap...

9. Historybuff

Historybuff The title isn't long enou

How much experience did you get?

10. TheGryphonPrince

TheGryphonPrince Chieftain

Strangely normal experience.

But wait... It gets even worse!
    Later on I lost the city (a few turns later), Asoka was generous enough to grant me a city on mainland India, but then this happened. Again, 100% legit.

However I ran out of free victories by then and I fled. The barabarian horse archers conquered the city.

This game is gonna get weird... Someone tell Leoreth to see this.

EDIT: Again, they revolted and joined me. Wow. They really love me in that city.

11. iOnlySignIn

iOnlySignIn Prince$s

You need to update your SVN. There are Culture flip bugs a few versions ago.

Not sure what's up with the Rifleman...

12. Theodorick

Theodorick Chieftain

Maya. I entered WB when a Carthaginian caravel appeared off my coast in 1040AD. I'm not sure what happened. They went on to conquer marrakus and independent france and were the first to discover liberalism. They were always shaky and on the verge of collapse as well. If carthage somehow survives, do they get a huge research boost? edit: they were called the Punic Republic when they finally collapsed in the 16th century.

13. Daedwartin

Daedwartin Chieftain

yes. it's called they are a classical or ancient civ. for some reason, if such a civ survives past their historical fall, they tend to have a good tech lead. do note that China and does not follow this guideline. China is generally not abnormal and is generally at it's level of tech china had at the time. China was ahead for a good period in many fields. it's just Europe was the one who really put Chinese inventions to use on a major scale. It also helps that between Rome, Carthage, Persia, Greece, Babylon, Eypgt, India, and Eithopia, only China is supposed to survive til the end of the game, even if a respawn is required.

Eypgt does come back...but is meant to then get blobbed into by the Turks. Rome is intended to blob like no tomorrow...then get smashed by barbs.

Carthage is...well, considering because of the romans the only name we have for it means ""new city", and we know that is not the real name, just all records are gone and have been destroyed, what you think is supposed to happen.

Persia? supposed to eat babylon and eypgt.

Greece? eat the resulting persian empire...only to get eaten by rome.

Eithopia? apparently every game the answer is get ass kicked by random roaming barbs.

India? Mughals end them.

Eastern Rome? arabs, seljuks, turkish, oh &*%^ this ^&*%. and then get backstabbed by europe likely. however, ERE does not get a tech lead often due to the mass of threats and close spawn date to the spawn date of PR civs.

Bayblon? persians eat them. simply put: most are not meant to survive. they are too well developed when they do to not have the tech lead is my guess.

14. Theodorick

Theodorick Chieftain

Well that's good to know. It did make for a very interesting game. Carthage actually got the conquerors event for the Incas, though England got the event for the Aztec and myself. They had Egypt, Byzantiums (who had spawned as Empire of Nicea?), Portugal, and Ethiopia as vassals at one point.

15. yurisusuki

yurisusuki Hope, Faith and love

If bizantium don't have Constantinopel they are named empire of nicea(With athens like capital..they have another names to but i never see..)

They just change they name in respawn because when bizantium lost constantinopel they collapse

16. Lansa

Lansa Chieftain

1st) Caesar gives me Ethiopia the tech alphabet for free :)

2nd) Viva la free France :lol:
    french capitol is Budapest with the cities of Brest, Vienna, Rome.
    And Spain founded a city in the spanish Netherlands.

Attached Files:

17. Locutus_Morti

Locutus_Morti Chieftain

You missed Super Poland, but I assume that's due to a lack of the HRE.

18. therox

therox Hydralisk

Thats the weirdest Europe I've ever seen

19. Historybuff

Historybuff The title isn't long enou

As Ethiopia, Caesar gave me Iron Working.

20. Jusos2108

Jusos2108 Chieftain