The outdated tech you use (and why)

I wash dishes and clothes by hand but that's because I'm currently staying in a hotel. It's actually not such a hardship, I just put in a small amount each day and takes just a few minutes after i finish letting it soak. The weather is such that it dries out after just a few hours.

Washing clothes by hand is a real pain. I can do it. With a bucket and a posser. But a machine is by far the easiest way to do the job effectively.

You are a champ, NovaKart.

Now all my complaints seem like weak first-world problems.

Man, I haven't regularly washed clothes by hand since boot camp. Funny site, man. 70+ marines all lined up with the bill of their covers loaded up with clothes pins, scrubbing away on the concrete wash areas with a bottle of wisk in one hand and a scrub brush in another. Of course, friggin' Paris Island has washing machines. East coast nancy boys...

I still play music with acoustic instruments and prefer live studio recordings over trackmixing because I think there is a certain humanity to those ways.

I think maybe you guys are assuming I'm sitting there scrubbing away when really I'm mostly just letting it soak in soapy water and then wringing it out. I don't even do that so much really. It doesn't take long and the weather is so dry it dries up pretty quickly.

Man, I haven't regularly washed clothes by hand since boot camp. Funny site, man. 70+ marines all lined up with the bill of their covers loaded up with clothes pins, scrubbing away on the concrete wash areas with a bottle of wisk in one hand and a scrub brush in another. Of course, friggin' Paris Island has washing machines. East coast nancy boys...

Us Hollywood Marines have washing machines now too.

When I took my dogs out I looked down and noticed my shoes were coated in chalk dust. Black boards can die in a fire. Even though we are a university of science and technology, we still rock the black boards like it's 1830. They found money for a geothermal plant that won't pay for itself in decades and multiple expansions to the chancelors house but we still have stupid chalk.

There is nothing a chalk board does better than a white board except ear-splitting screeches. Smart boards and touchscreen computers are ideal but they have their issues.

You're clearly not a real scientist :)

Whiteboard markers constantly run out so that's a pain, but with chalk you end up wearing it. I overall prefer whiteboard.

I haven't had a dishwasher since 1999. The only real pain is silverware. I can wash dishes and pots and pans lickety split.

I haven't had cable TV since 2002. I went microwave-less for about six years when my wife and I first moved in together--she had never owned a microwave in her entire life and our first kitchen was too small to fit one.

edit: oh I also have not had a garbage disposal in 10 years. City apartments are weird.

I haven't had a microwave in a long time either, hard to imagine a place can't fit one though.

I think it's more of a question of which tech I use that isn't outdated. I can't think of any piece of up to date tech I use. My smart phone is over 2 years old (and a piece of crap 2 years ago- a Huwai piece of chinese crap).

I'm not a technophobe mind you. I do try to keep up on technology. My job depends on it. I just don't feel the need to buy it for myself. My needs in life are simple. The only reason I have a smart phone is so I can email people with it. I have only 1 app (My Tracks) downloaded. I don't need a phone for a bunch of useless apps or crappy games like Angry Birds (yes I am the only person in the U.S. who has not played this POS game).

since you are all talking about tv's, I'll mention I do not have a tv hooked up to either cable or air (not since it went digital). My tv's are only hooked up to a VCR or DVD player. They have no other use than that.

I haven't updated my pistol to a phased plasma rifle in the 40 watt range yet :(

I have got to say this : No tech is considered outdated untill proven worthless, the others are just a case of a habit - For example - some might say that *.pdf books and audiobooks should have conquered books and obsolete them long ago yet there are many people who still cannot imagine reading a book on a computer (or worse) an i-pod screen. And what about those who are romantic - would You trade the romanticism of an intimate romantic candle-light situation to an crude but more efficient electrical light ? I don't think so ;) Mail in a way is superior to an SMS/MMS too in that matter - You have a persons own words scribbled by that person , there is a charm and "the magic" that cannot be replaced by a binary code of series of digits on electronic screen ;) As a technician I can also say that analog signal (especially in music) is far superior to digital so called "High Definition" signal ;) Therefore I'd say that "all that glitters is not gold" and we should be mindful of the old ways when inventing a new ones ;)

I have got to say this : No tech is considered outdated untill proven worthless, the others are just a case of a habit - For example - some might say that *.pdf books and audiobooks should have conquered books and obsolete them long ago yet there are many people who still cannot imagine reading a book on a computer (or worse) an i-pod screen. And what about those who are romantic - would You trade the romanticism of an intimate romantic candle-light situation to an crude but more efficient electrical light ? I don't think so ;) Mail in a way is superior to an SMS/MMS too in that matter - You have a persons own words scribbled by that person , there is a charm and "the magic" that cannot be replaced by a binary code of series of digits on electronic screen ;) As a technician I can also say that analog signal (especially in music) is far superior to digital so called "High Definition" signal ;) Therefore I'd say that "all that glitters is not gold" and we should be mindful of the old ways when inventing a new ones ;)

You bring up a good point. If it does what you want it to, it's never truly obsolete.

I still use over-the-air radio when I drive. All my music is totally digital, and my car stereo can't play it. I also use cash for pretty much every offline purchase. It's much better than plastic.

Top Bottom